• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Absolute garbage mate .. the issue isn't being cheap, if it was, we won't be after any Southampton players, they hate us and will fudge us over on price.

The problem is we have yet another manager who's only way of solving personnel gaps seems to be going after players from his previous club (MS, JR and now Wanyama), despite the fact of, at their best Southampton was still a ****tier side than us.

Cabaye would have been a much more sensible buy, but oh no .. "he wont fit our system" .... what fudgeing system?

Since Poch came in, we've signed:

Davies
Vorm
Dier
Edlin
Fazio
Stambouli
Alli
Trippier
Wimmer
Alderweirald
Njie

As far as I know, he hasn't worked with any of them. And the 3 players you mentioned, we've not signed (2 of them still being at Southampton.) Whether we sign Wanyama or not, you can hardly say it's been a clear tactic. And if even it was, I'm not sure it's a negative thing. He knows those players, and he knows their qualities.

I agree about Cabaye, however. Would have taken him in a heartbeat.

Ummm, come on. He's signed a lot of players he's never worked with!

As for being annoyed about Cabaye, none of us know the reason why he wasn't signed, so why get annoyed about him "not fitting our system".

Yes, but a lot of the targeted ones MS/JR and now this ... are key pieces we need.

I can't understand how we can't find a RWF and DM at the prices quoted (that we were willing to discuss), I also don't understand how buying those players would have made us any better than Southampton (Look at Pool).

I honestly think Poch and his system is making our acquisition of players much more difficult and much more than money is limiting our ability to improve ..

Yes, but a lot of the targeted ones MS/JR and now this ... are key pieces we need.

I can't understand how we can't find a RWF and DM at the prices quoted (that we were willing to discuss), I also don't understand how buying those players would have made us any better than Southampton (Look at Pool).

I honestly think Poch and his system is making our acquisition of players much more difficult and much more than money is limiting our ability to improve ..

So we buy players the manager doesn't want, he can't fit them in his system, we lose, we ask for said manager's head and we end up with Sherwood as manager again. I recognise this routine don't you???

That may be the case, and there is nothing wrong with that. Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, Chiriches have shown that transfers are a risk. At least with having worked with them, they become less of a risk.

I think the reasons for why we are having difficulty in signing players is because it is a huge gap between what we would pay v the top 4 and a smaller gap between what we would pay and the top 10. That means that a player that feels they are 2+ seasons away from really establishing themselves as the next big thing has more choice as to where they go. Ultimately though, it will be money. And we are 6th in terms of the wages we pay. That is the unfortunate truth.

Despite what you or anyone will say, Poch has improved us from where we were. That is a fact. Yes, there are positions to improve, but anyone that thinks a young team will not make infuriating mistakes is missguided. It will happen, and we just have to deal with it. The OTT views on Bentaleb have worried me. He was one of our best CMs last season and has been spacegoated by a number on here for not even a full 90 minutes of play. Everyone is clamouring for Dele Ali to start the next game, but he will make a mistake at some point. Every player does, especially younger ones, and then the whole spacegoating will start again.

I just hope that all the vitriol that is expressed on this and other spurs message boards does not find its way to the stadium. These young players need our support and we need to make it a toxic environment for the opposition not our players. Every visiting team will know what to do. Keep it tight for the first 20 minutes, ask a lot of questions and the home crowd will get on the home team's back. Let's not be predictable.

So we buy players the manager doesn't want, he can't fit them in his system, we lose, we ask for said manager's head and we end up with Sherwood as manager again. I recognise this routine don't you???

Yep .. I also recognize the manager wanting only 1 or 2 specific players that for whatever reason we can't get/buy .. then sulking, playing brick and fudging off.

Yep .. I also recognize the manager wanting only 1 or 2 specific players that for whatever reason we can't get/buy .. then sulking, playing **** and fudgeing off.

Come on Raziel! How is Poch sulking? How do you know he only wants 1 or 2 specific players?

That may be the case, and there is nothing wrong with that. Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho, Chiriches have shown that transfers are a risk. At least with having worked with them, they become less of a risk.

I think the reasons for why we are having difficulty in signing players is because it is a huge gap between what we would pay v the top 4 and a smaller gap between what we would pay and the top 10. That means that a player that feels they are 2+ seasons away from really establishing themselves as the next big thing has more choice as to where they go. Ultimately though, it will be money. And we are 6th in terms of the wages we pay. That is the unfortunate truth.

Despite what you or anyone will say, Poch has improved us from where we were. That is a fact. Yes, there are positions to improve, but anyone that thinks a young team will not make infuriating mistakes is missguided. It will happen, and we just have to deal with it. The OTT views on Bentaleb have worried me. He was one of our best CMs last season and has been spacegoated by a number on here for not even a full 90 minutes of play. Everyone is clamouring for Dele Ali to start the next game, but he will make a mistake at some point. Every player does, especially younger ones, and then the whole spacegoating will start again.

I just hope that all the vitriol that is expressed on this and other spurs message boards does not find its way to the stadium. These young players need our support and we need to make it a toxic environment for the opposition not our players. Every visiting team will know what to do. Keep it tight for the first 20 minutes, ask a lot of questions and the home crowd will get on the home team's back. Let's not be predictable.
Yep totally agree, what happens Alli and Pritchard mess up, play the under 17s? A lot of people's answer seems to be bring in the youth, well this is the youths, but it's the youth that are ready.

Yep totally agree, what happens Alli and Pritchard mess up, play the under 17s? A lot of people's answer seems to be bring in the youth, well this is the youths, but it's the youth that are ready.

The tolerance on this board is just non-existent. The only team that at this moment would have kept them happy is Emirates Marketing Project, but even then I am sure some complaints would be found. We are not top 4. We over-achieved last year in finishing 5th. To finish 5th or 6th in this league means that you will have some bad days where you lose/draw against teams that you should have won. Last season shows that! The season before shows that! The season before that shows that!

That is not to say that we should just accept mistakes, but I don't see anyone doing that. What it does mean is that we do not overreact, but I fear that some have already done so.

We don't have the money to make huge signings. I feel positive about our future because we have a good solid crop of young players who's potential could mean that we have the makings of a really successful team. As a club, our future is actually quite exciting. However, it is more important to some on here to criticise the team, find spacegoats in some of our players and manager just because we didn't win. Forget everything else, let's just live life for each 90 minutes that we play a game. This is precisely why fans should not run football clubs. Next year's problem doesn't even register. It's all now now now.

Absolute garbage mate .. the issue isn't being cheap, if it was, we won't be after any Southampton players, they hate us and will fudge us over on price.

I didn't by any means mean to indicate I thought Wanyama would be 'cheap', least of all off Saints; the key phrase is 'required quality'. Unfortunately, that does tend to imply 'even more expensive.' For me, we spread ourselves too thin in that department, always looking for the potential growers. Anyway, it sounds as though SCBC aren't willing to part with any more now, so probably all academic.

I didn't by any means mean to indicate I thought Wanyama would be 'cheap', least of all off Saints; the key phrase is 'required quality'. Unfortunately, that does tend to imply 'even more expensive.' For me, we spread ourselves too thin in that department, always looking for the potential growers. Anyway, it sounds as though SCBC aren't willing to part with any more now, so probably all academic.

Required quality?

Quality to do what, maintain 5th/6th, get us to 4th, hit 3rd?

We have the spending power of a team that can finish 5th at best so surely the required quality is the quality to currently maintain our position with an improvement next season and beyond. I see this in all the signings we've made so far and in Wanyama and Berahino, we are not in the frame to sign Messi, Ronaldo and Vidal.

Required quality?

Quality to do what, maintain 5th/6th, get us to 4th, hit 3rd?

We have the spending power of a team that can finish 5th at best so surely the required quality is the quality to currently maintain our position with an improvement next season and beyond. I see this in all the signings we've made so far and in Wanyama and Berahino, we are not in the frame to sign Messi, Ronaldo and Vidal.

Nobody's saying we are. To answer your question, I suppose it depends what you think Levy means when he talks about 'ambition'.

Nobody's saying we are. To answer your question, I suppose it depends what you think Levy means when he talks about 'ambition'.

But the actions and words and feeling that people are delivering is exactly that you are expecting top 4. Top 4 requires a level of consistency that means you regularly beat bottom half teams even on a bad day. That was the difference that meant we didn't finish top 4.

I guarantee that Levy's ambition is bigger than you give him credit for. He's put his money behind it, he's put up with hugely negative comments but has kept true to his principles. There is no argument to be had that it is in his best interests, not just as a fan of Spurs, but financially for Spurs to be successful. His ambition is to establish us as one of the big clubs in Europe. He's a long way there in achieving that.

Come on Raziel! How is Poch sulking? How do you know he only wants 1 or 2 specific players?

I was referring to our last system manager (AVB) who seemingly could only be successful if we bought the exact couple of players he wanted ..

My concern is Poch seems to be just as ridiculously picky ...

What do you think he means?

If you mean in sporting terms, I can only assume he would like us to be ahead of where our wage budget 'places' us, because if the full extent of it is just to maintain us at the level it indicates we should be, then I'd say that doesn't sound hugely ambitious. I do wonder whether it's actually realistic, though, especially if clubs below us are willing to start taking stronger risks.

I was referring to our last system manager (AVB) who seemingly could only be successful if we bought the exact couple of players he wanted ..

My concern is Poch seems to be just as ridiculously picky ...

I see, but I don't think Poch has shown himself to be ridiculously picky.

If you mean in sporting terms, I can only assume he would like us to be ahead of where our wage budget 'places' us, because if the full extent of it is just to maintain us at the level it indicates we should be, then I'd say that doesn't sound hugely ambitious. I do wonder whether it's actually realistic, though, especially if clubs below us are willing to start taking stronger risks.

Sorry but that is just rubbish. If that were the case he wouldn't have spent £20m on the training centre and looking to spend £400-500m on a stadium. Which other clubs are or have an equivalent stadium. Answer: Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool (Liverpool will only get to 54k). That's what he wants us to become.

Sorry but that is just rubbish. If that were the case he wouldn't have spent £20m on the training centre and looking to spend £400-500m on a stadium. Which other clubs are or have an equivalent stadium. Answer: Ar5ena1, Man United, Chel53a, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool (Liverpool will only get to 54k). That's what he wants us to become.

It's not rubbish, and it's why I qualified my statement by saying "in sporting terms". The money that goes into the stadium and the other tangible assets is all money ENIC will eventually walk away with when they sell up. That's not sporting ambition. What we'll be left with after that is anybody's guess at this stage.

Ambition to be one of the best teams in England but that does require building from a solid base something that we've never done. The investment in the new training facilities and a new stadium will give us the income and facilities to attract better players and until that we will have to live within our means and achieve above them.

To me it seems we are buying players that will be ready in one or two seasons time, have age on their side and do not break the bank in transfer fee and wages and then getting them in on long term deals so once they do get to the point of become top players they don't have one year left and they walk on a free or go for peanuts. We will reap the benefits not this season and maybe not next but if it means a challenge for 3rd or 4th in 2017 I'll settle for 5th this year and next, rather than splashing the cash now finishing 7th claiming we should have won the league, sack the manager and start all over again, which seems to be a theme for us over the last 10 years.

Ambition to be one of the best teams in England but that does require building from a solid base something that we've never done. The investment in the new training facilities and a new stadium will give us the income and facilities to attract better players and until that we will have to live within our means and achieve above them.

To me it seems we are buying players that will be ready in one or two seasons time, have age on their side and do not break the bank in transfer fee and wages and then getting them in on long term deals so once they do get to the point of become top players they don't have one year left and they walk on a free or go for peanuts. We will reap the benefits not this season and maybe not next but if it means a challenge for 3rd or 4th in 2017 I'll settle for 5th this year and next, rather than splashing the cash now finishing 7th claiming we should have won the league, sack the manager and start all over again, which seems to be a theme for us over the last 10 years.

Maybe you're right, and I don't suppose anybody would argue with 5th or 6th again. I certainly wouldn't. And maybe Levy won't sack Pochettino if it all goes wrong and we languish in the bottom half of the table, either.

Back