• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

In response to both, I think its important the ref explains his decisions.

It might be, upon listening to why he gave the penalty, you actually understand/agree.

At which point we are all better off.

BT bringing in refs to comment on incidents has, IMO, been really quite good. Its interesting to see their point of view. Even in cases I remain convinced its a wrong decision I appreciate the other side of it being offered.

It helps because most of the pundits and commentators don't know the laws of the game.

Guessing the point GB was making is that when a goal is scored you can no longer go wild celebrating, you have to hold back. Then by the time it's given the thrill has been diluted.

Imo he has a point.

only if you see something questionable in the build up anyway, and that would have been there before VAR, you know when a goal is good

only if you see something questionable in the build up anyway, and that would have been there before VAR, you know when a goal is good

No goal from a corner or indirect freekick ever involves no contact, so they can never be celebrated for a start. And they are pulling back potential offsides from several phases of play earlier.

Its the death of narrative football

Guessing the point GB was making is that when a goal is scored you can no longer go wild celebrating, you have to hold back. Then by the time it's given the thrill has been diluted.

Imo he has a point.

I can't say that I've noticed much of that in the stands. Is it any different from what happened before when you wildly celebrate a goal and then it slowly dawns on you that the linesman has his flag up?

No goal from a corner or indirect freekick ever involves no contact, so they can never be celebrated for a start. And they are pulling back potential offsides from several phases of play earlier.

Its the death of narrative football

thats always happened though, surely you remember us having a goal ruled as offside despite the scorer (Verts) being in his own half when the ball was played through for him, and of course, judas' towering header in the 98 WC against Argentina, it's not new, and, "narrative football" isn't the thing, football is the thing

whats important is what actually happened, rather than what one pair of eyes thought happened

I can't say that I've noticed much of that in the stands. Is it any different from what happened before when you wildly celebrate a goal and then it slowly dawns on you that the linesman has his flag up?
Yes, for two reasons. Firstly because the offside flag is usually fairly immediate so you've hardly got going before you have to put the brakes on. But secondly because it's now EVERY time a goal is scored. It's no longer a game of sudden thrills. the presence of VAR is all-embracing.

As to the wild cheering immediately a goal is 'scored,' that's the point, a goal has not necessarily been scored so all that wild celebrating has to be put on hold.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Yes, for two reasons. Firstly because the offside flag is usually fairly immediate so you've hardly got going before you have to put the brakes on. But secondly because it's now EVERY time a goal is scored. It's no longer a game of sudden thrills. the presence of VAR is all-embracing.

As to the wild cheering immediately a goal is 'scored,' that's the point, a goal has not necessarily been scored so all that wild celebrating has to be put on hold.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

I can't say that it has impacted on my enjoyment of this world cup. If anything, the increase in penalties as a result of VAR has been an improvement.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

if an incident is picked up by the goal line assistants in European games they don't wave the wands around, they discreetly inform the ref who then calls it back

if an incident is picked up by the goal line assistants in European games they don't wave the wands around, they discreetly inform the ref who then calls it back

And it is quite common for the officials to discuss what happened before the ref makes a decision

Imo he has a point.

Id say that depends entirely on you.

VAR has not impacted my enjoyment of any moment in the tournament so far.

It has added a bit of drama/trepidation, in pretty distinct situations, and it has meant for more "correct" scores/results than in previous tournaments.

Hardly taking away "joy and passion". For me at least.

I think it will be a long, long time before that innate instinct to cheer/celebrate when a goal is (seemingly) scored goes away, if ever.
With VAR, the emotional side of football will if anything be heightened : you cheer, you stop cheering, you wait on tenterhooks, you either have a second round of cheering/celebrating or a hit of depression as the joy you had momentarily experienced is snatched away.
I don't believe it will be a case of fans being conditioned into new behaviour.

(I'm still in two minds over VAR. The concept is right, but its implementation is critical).

I can't say that it has impacted on my enjoyment of this world cup. If anything, the increase in penalties as a result of VAR has been an improvement.
Pleased for you. We're all different. Not saying it's totally without benefits but for me VAR has stolen football's crowning glory, that magic moment when the ball his the back of the net and you let rip. Now you have to stop yourself every single time, so it's no longer the same.

The genie is out of the bottle and can never be put back.

Pleased for you. We're all different. Not saying it's totally without benefits but for me VAR has stolen football's crowning glory, that magic moment when the ball his the back of the net and you let rip. Now you have to stop yourself every single time, so it's no longer the same.

I haven't stopped celebrating the ball hitting the net. My experience is as @Glenda's Legs describes above.

VAR is giving me the same bricky feeling I get when watching Test cricket, when suddenly Sky show a replay without warning of an earlier wicket going down. You think WHAHEY !!! - then immediately have to come right back down to earth. So you go fudge!

Last edited:
VAR is giving me the same bricky feeling I get when watching Test cricket, when suddenly Sky show a reply without warning of an earlier wicket going down. You think WHAHEY !!! - then immediately have to come right back down to earth. So you go fudge!

All part of the game, ups and downs/highs and lows, regardless of the cause.

I LOVE the extra penalties at the minute. Players actually being pulled up for the cheating they always get away with. Love it.

I loved Tunisia getting an equaliser, against the run of the match. It was the right decision, and added real tension to the game. Had that been a 50/50 given in our favour the game would have likely become a procession. VAR enhanced it, IMO.

I am yet to resist celebrating, just in case. I never did it before when the linesman might have waved, I dont do it now.

As I said, I guess it depends on you.

Back