• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Dont be silly.

Its not creating more unfair decisions at all. If anything this WC has proven it is correcting more potentially unfair decisions.

Problem is, as its still effectively being tested/adopted mistakes are happening that are being highlighted.

And thats the point - its a work in progress. It is already getting more right that wrong, and it will improve.

As decisions are made faster and better, we will soon reach a point where very little "wrong" comes out of a match.

Which, IMO, is a massive improvement for the game.

Never going to happen mate ( imo).

Never going to happen mate ( imo).

Its already happening, so not sure how you reach that conclusion.

VAR decisions in every game this tournament, the vast majority correct - and many that wouldnt have been given without VAR.

That means more "right" happening than otherwise would have already.

And thats before they actually make it a sensible implementation.

Once they get to a point where decisions are made more quickly and refs are holding up the law more reliably the game will be much fairer and so much improved.

the main thing VAR is doing at the WC is highlighting incompetent referee's, todays chap got to have a good look at a slow motion replay and still made a bad decision

as long as humans are involved there will be mistakes, putting more eyes and angles on incidents is a great interim step

we are already seeing a fringe benefit of reduced diving according to stats from the Italian FA

the main thing VAR is doing at the WC is highlighting incompetent referee's, todays chap got to have a good look at a slow motion replay and still made a bad decision

as long as humans are involved there will be mistakes, putting more eyes and angles on incidents is a great interim step

we are already seeing a fringe benefit of reduced diving according to stats from the Italian FA
I think today’s example (the Aussie pen) is why VAR is difficult implement with its current use. For me that’s never a pen, but some others think it is, the VAR and match ref for example, so someone is always going to debate the decision made, whichever way it’s given.

Things like offside, ball in or out of play, etc. are easy to enforce and black or white, this is where VAR comes in to its own.

I think today’s example (the Aussie pen) is why VAR is difficult implement with its current use. For me that’s never a pen, but some others think it is, the VAR and match ref for example, so someone is always going to debate the decision made, whichever way it’s given.

Things like offside, ball in or out of play, etc. are easy to enforce and black or white, this is where VAR comes in to its own.

Easily fixed by rewording the laws.

Dont be silly.

Its not creating more unfair decisions at all. If anything this WC has proven it is correcting more potentially unfair decisions.

Problem is, as its still effectively being tested/adopted mistakes are happening that are being highlighted.

And thats the point - its a work in progress. It is already getting more right that wrong, and it will improve.

As decisions are made faster and better, we will soon reach a point where very little "wrong" comes out of a match.

Which, IMO, is a massive improvement for the game.
Seems to me its applying black and white to grey areas and its detrimental to the game.

Strange VAR décision there, ball Hit his hand but no intention at all and the ball was going well wide.

Didn’t seem like a clear and obvious error to not give that pen?
I'm sure he didn't deliberately handle it, but he was presumably deliberately trying to get in the way of it as the Aussie bloke had beaten him to the cross. If he launches himself at it and it then hits his hand, isn't that his fault, wherever his hand is? How many handballs are truly, Suarez v Ghana deliberate? A tiny number I would think.

I'd obviously complain for days if that was given against us, but I can see where the ref gets a penalty from tbh.

I'm sure he didn't deliberately handle it, but he was presumably deliberately trying to get in the way of it as the Aussie bloke had beaten him to the cross. If he launches himself at it and it then hits his hand, isn't that his fault, wherever his hand is? How many handballs are truly, Suarez v Ghana deliberate? A tiny number I would think.

I'd obviously complain for days if that was given against us, but I can see where the ref gets a penalty from tbh.

The law requires it to be a deliberate act, imo 99% of handball decisions are incorrect.

This is my hill.

He was challenging for the header, not trying to block the shot with his hand. As I said earlier his hands/arms were in a perfectly normal position for challenging an aerial ball, he’s just unlucky that the header was heading for the corner flag instead of the goal so hit his arm instead of rolling to the keeper.

The law requires it to be a deliberate act, imo 99% of handball decisions are incorrect.

This is my hill.
But if you make a deliberate act of trying to get in the way of the ball, and it hits a bit of you it shouldn't, isn't that still deliberate? He's trying to affect the ball, and has, but illegally? (Playing devil's advocate a bit here.)

Danish coach's say:
"I do believe it was a penalty but the whole issue with VAR is that there are people somewhere in Russia deciding to look at this situation because it looks like a penalty," said Hareide.

"That is OK but there were other situations in the match where they should have stopped it to look at what actually happened but they are not doing that, so who decides?

"Is it the referee on the pitch or someone watching in a dark room somewhere else?

"To me, it was probably correct but it does remove a bit of the charm of football to have such a precise system.

"I don't know how it will work out for football in the long run."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44439100

But if you make a deliberate act of trying to get in the way of the ball, and it hits a bit of you it shouldn't, isn't that still deliberate? He's trying to affect the ball, and has, but illegally? (Playing devil's advocate a bit here.)

Danish coach's say:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44439100

Not for me, imo, unless it’s a considered act intentionally calculating and moving the hand to the path of ball then it’s not handball as the law is written, making yourself big is fine. I wouldn’t have given handball against Sanchez in the Colombia game either.

The only way would be to turn football into a non-contact sport. Basically netball.

If that is your concern, you are a little late, because that's been the rule internationally for ages. What we really see at World Cups is people remembering that the game is officiated differently outside of England.

Back