• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Imo reffing is actually common law, precedent is what really matters and there are different flavours in different regions... No one refs to the letter of the law and it will be a worse game if we all do..

Totally disagree, that is exactly what the problem is. Too many refs put personal opinion ahead of applying the laws as written.

The laws are there for a reason and should be applied.

Totally disagree, that is exactly what the problem is. Too many refs put personal opinion ahead of applying the laws as written.

The laws are there for a reason and should be applied.
I did say regionally, so all refs in England should be consistent etc.

Personally would hate it if we were reffed the same way as they currently do in Spain or Italy even if it meant consistency as there is no way the changes would be towards our style of play.

Personally would hate it if we were reffed the same way as they currently do in Spain or Italy even if it meant consistency as there is no way the changes would be towards our style of play.

I think that it is inevitable that reffing will become more consistent across regions with greater movement of players, more televised games, increased participation at world cups and more officials there totsupport VAR and 4th official type roles.

Not even regionally, the Laws of the Game should be applied whether it's played in Bogata or Bolton.

There have been a load of mistakes and tight calls in this World Cup so far... about 20 moments where the ref would or could have got it wrong and needed assistance.

VAR has corrected the vast majority of them.

And there are a few where VAR got it wrong or awarded a penalty when 50% of people thought it was, and 50% thought it wasn't.

This is what VAR is for, making more correct decisions and fewer bad decisions. It has been a huge improvement so far.

Don't listen to the Luddites like Parklane and Shearer saying it is bad for the game.

It is about trying to get as many decisions right as possible.

Of course if something is 50:50 you cannot please all viewers.

There have been a load of mistakes and tight calls in this World Cup so far... about 20 moments where the ref would or could have got it wrong and needed assistance.

And there are a few where VAR got it wrong or awarded a penalty when 50% of people thought it was, and 50% thought it wasn't.

This is what VAR is for, making more correct decisions and fewer bad decisions. It has been a huge improvement so far.

Don't listen to the Luddites like Parklane and Shearer saying it is bad for the game.

I'm still miffed about three points for a win and that the keeper can't pick up a back pass. Bloody football's gone soft...

And its been the world cup with the least joy and passion in history too

Are there any sports where there is no interpretation of the laws/rules by the officials?

Chess, darts, snooker, golf, kabaddi, pool, 10 pin bowling, table tennis, sumo, long jump, high jump, discus, javelin, hammer, shot, fencing, archery, rowing, kayaking, skeleton, bobsleigh, ski jump, luge, croquet, tug of war, sailing, bored now...

Unless your get out is that by applying the laws from written to reality the officials are interpreting them?

I think the ones I’ve listed above (and probably a hundred others) have refined their laws to a series of binary outcomes, was that a legal move, is the dart in the bed, was the red ball touched first etc etc. We obviously still have mistakes, see Mickelson last week, but nobody is arguing that he didn’t cheat because the rule is explicit.

I think football would be better for it.

I believe that the Premier League is the most enjoyable league, this is due to the quality of the players and the more relaxed interpretation of the rules than other countries. Applying rules as written rather than a more common law interpretation would drastically change this - unless we all write our own rules.

I think today’s example (the Aussie pen) is why VAR is difficult implement with its current use. For me that’s never a pen, but some others think it is, the VAR and match ref for example, so someone is always going to debate the decision made, whichever way it’s given.

Things like offside, ball in or out of play, etc. are easy to enforce and black or white, this is where VAR comes in to its own.

Seems to me its applying black and white to grey areas and its detrimental to the game.

In response to both, I think its important the ref explains his decisions.

It might be, upon listening to why he gave the penalty, you actually understand/agree.

At which point we are all better off.

BT bringing in refs to comment on incidents has, IMO, been really quite good. Its interesting to see their point of view. Even in cases I remain convinced its a wrong decision I appreciate the other side of it being offered.

I believe that the Premier League is the most enjoyable league, this is due to the quality of the players and the more relaxed interpretation of the rules than other countries. Applying rules as written rather than a more common law interpretation would drastically change this - unless we all write our own rules.

I actually think tightening the rules (implementation there of?) would be better for the premiership. Less cheating, diving and gamesmanship - a more "honest" game, would be most welcome IMHO.

I think if refs allowed a fair challenge, but didnt take any of the cheating flimflam we see now, it would be much better.

Back