• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

It is absolutely good for the game. IF done right.

Which, in my view, it isn't. VAR needs more transparency, more accountability and more consistency for it to work properly. Right now it raises more questions than it answers.

Just the fact that fans regularly question whether a debatable decision has even been the subject of a VAR review, makes the system a failure. At the very least there should be an indication about whether a situation has been reviewed and the possibility for fans to read/hear the arguments from the VAR team about the outcome of the review. There's no reason this information shouldn't be available immediately during PL games.

I'd suggest involving fans more in how this system works would improve it immensely. Instead of aiming for perfection and spending minutes trying to spot a hair thick offside, just put a system in place to quickly and swiftly correct the biggest refereeing howlers - one step at a time. Because that's what we all hoped for. No more Mendes no-goals or Salah dives. Punish the cheaters. Make sure no three metre offside goals are given. It doesn’t have to be so bloody complicated.

We got lucky again with that ridiculous VAR decision in the first half. How close was that? 0,03 mm?

We got lucky again with that ridiculous VAR decision in the first half. How close was that? 0,03 mm?
The whole 'getting lucky' thing is a bit twisted.

We were actually lucky that while the incompetent linesman didn't notice he was 0.03mm offside, and so allowing an 'offside' goal that was against the rules that VAR was then there to bail him out.

Btw I don't think the lino was incompetent and it is a bit ridiculous.

Yet Wolves didn’t which was wrong.

you could also argue that a clear handball in the lead up to the goal should have been picked up by VAR as well, it was obvious watching in real time that it hit VVD’s arm.
I just heard Dermot Gallagher on SSN state that VAR couldn’t look at van Dijk’s handball as their remit is only to check back as far as the person providing the assist, which was Lallana and his shoulder flick :confused:

For me, VAR was meant to empower the on-field referee to make braver refereeing decisions, knowing there was a back up to double check and either confirm the decision, or advise the ref to take a second look.
But the focus now is dwelling on how many mm is acceptable for an offside decision (i’m not sure it matters, as long as it’s consistent, no matter how annoying it might be to be offside by a hair’s breath) whilst more controversial decisions (eg did he dive or is it a pen?) are still being bottled by refs and backed up by VAR.
There's a lot of work to do to get it right. First off the PL refs need to stop being worried about slowing down the game (it’s happening anyway), take back control, and use the pitch side monitors.
Secondly there needs to be more transparency in the ground. Show all the decisions. If it’s too controversial to show on the screen, then it’s probably not a clear cut error anyway.
VAR is here to stay. No point moaning that it’s ruining the game. Better to moan and campaign to make it better.

Back