• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

A lot of the spending (net) you talk about seems like the cost of taking over the club rather than an investment in the playing squad.

What has their net transfer spend per season been under Klopp?

In the last three years? The Mirror has them at roughly 150m -

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-transfers-big-six-13014572

...and they had a sizeable net spend prior to that, too.

The relevant information would be the turnover of the club as a whole and whether they are running at a loss to fund the team building in the market - quick google suggests they have turned a profit in the past couple of years (of available financial info)

I addressed this in an earlier post. They had continuous losses up until a couple of years ago, all written off by the owners.

How long has this been our "glass ceiling"?

By the same use of the phrase as you use now we could previously have said that getting to the CL consistently, getting to the CL at all, or even being a consistent top 6 side have been our "glass ceiling" in the not too distant past.

The improvement under Levy has been tremendous. You say we're now at a glass ceiling, I say let's see how far this improvement can take us.

I'm betting that endless windows with no net spend, and occasionally no players at all, will not a title-winning team make.

In terms of other examples of this happening, see the Woolwich Wanderers. And note that they had far more success when going through their period of austerity than we do now when undergoing ours, and they had a far more influential (and perhaps visionary) chief executive in David Dein.

We're copying their model, but bringing the crippling lack of spending forward into the present and the future early years of the stadium, is all.

Germany has the 50+1 rule, which holds that *all* clubs that enter the Bundesliga be fan-owned - the only exceptions are the clubs you mentioned (for historical reasons) and RB, which basically cheated the rule and dared the Bundesliga to try stopping it. The vast majority of German clubs are majority fan-owned.

In Spain, Barca aren't the only fan-owned club - Real, Bilbao, Osasuna, Deportivo and Eibar are too, as are 99% of teams below the Spanish third tier.

In France, there's Guingamp in Ligue 1. In Italy, there's Modena. In Scotland, half the top-flight clubs have some level of fan ownership - in Ireland, nearly every FAI team (iirc) is fan-owned. Rapid Wien, Sturm Graz and multiple others in Austria are fan-owned.

The continent is far more comfortable with fan-ownership than England has historically been - hell, even Scotland and Ireland are. It's my ideal for Spurs - one day, we actually own our club.

As for investment, that doesn't need to come solely from the fans - fan-owned clubs sign commercial deals too, y'know. And in cases like Real, they also elect presidents who promise to spend their own cash on the club. :p

I like the idea of fan owned but it will never happen with clubs that have such a huge value like teams do in England

The Scottish and Irish sides are basically pub sides ornines that went bust

I like the idea of fan owned but it will never happen with clubs that have such a huge value like teams do in England

For now, maybe. But I think all it needs is for the idea to catch on, and then for supporters' clubs/trusts to actually start raising money to gradually buy a stake in their clubs.

It doesn't have to be all at once - start with an aim of raising enough money to buy, say, a 2.5% stake in your club, confirm with the club that it will sell such a stake if offered a price, solicit funds from fans via membership fees to raise that cost, and then acquire a stake. Build from there.

If 100,000 fans offered £500 each, that would be enough for a 5% stake in a club worth a billion pounds - might even buy half of a club like Huddersfield, or a quarter of a club like Watford.

Yes, it's impossible for Prem fans to outright buy an entire club at the moment - the prices are too high. But if gradual stakes were bought and built up, maybe, come the next football crash, that could change.

I'm betting that endless windows with no net spend, and occasionally no players at all, will not a title-winning team make.

In terms of other examples of this happening, see the Woolwich Wanderers. And note that they had far more success when going through their period of austerity than we do now when undergoing ours, and they had a far more influential (and perhaps visionary) chief executive in David Dein.

We're copying their model, but bringing the crippling lack of spending forward into the present and the future early years of the stadium, is all.

What success did Arsenal have in their years of austerity? It wasn't until they could spend in the market that they won the first of their 3 recent FA Cups and prior to that their last trophy was before they started balancing the books, during this period they fell from title challengers to scraping top 4, eventually falling out of it once they could spend again.

Whereas we on the other hand have gone from a top 6 side to a top 3 side (runners up twice) in a much more competitive top 6 - no tangible success in the way of trophies granted but i dont think you can blame the club for that when the sides that have been built have proven to be 2nd/3rd/4th best in the country over 38 games over an extended period, managers are clearly being provided with the means to build squads capable of winning trophies, failure to do so has to be layed at their door ultimately (if you're the type of person that needs to blame someone for that)

Last edited:
What success did Arsenal have in their years of austerity? It wasn't until they could spend in the market that they won the first of their 3 recent FA Cups and prior to that their last trophy was before they started balancing the books, during this period they fell from title challengers to scraping top 4, eventually falling out of it once they could spend again.

Whereas we on the other hand have gone from a top 6 side to a top 3 side (runners up twice) in a mich more competitive top 6 i hasten to add - no tangible success in the way of trophies granted but i dont think you can blame the club for that when the sides that have been built have proven to be 2nd/3rd/4th best in the country over 38 games over an extended period, managers are clearly being provided with the mean to build squads capable of winning trophies, failure to do so has to be layed at their door ultimately (if you're the type of person that needs to blame someone for that)

Once? (I think we have all mentally blocked out the end to that season).

Just read this... what continental clubs are fan owned?

In Germany there are some but don’t forget 4 of the top 10 currently aren’t (RB, Wolfburg, Bayer and Hoffenheim). Not aware of any in Italy or France and I whilst Barca are run by members their investment now will be more and more by corporates
Most of SA clubs are fan owned (member run) and it is not the Utopia it is made out to be. The issue is they need to win things (which sounds great) to get elected which means very short term thinking and no longer term thinking (hence most are in debt with aging stadiums). It also means that the President / potential presidents court unsavory fan groups in order to get their vote - pressure others to vote.

Whereas we on the other hand have gone from a top 6 side to a top 3 side (runners up twice) in a much more competitive top 6 - no tangible success in the way of trophies granted but i dont think you can blame the club for that when the sides that have been built have proven to be 2nd/3rd/4th best in the country over 38 games over an extended period, managers are clearly being provided with the means to build squads capable of winning trophies, failure to do so has to be layed at their door ultimately (if you're the type of person that needs to blame someone for that)

We are using a similar financial model to the old arsenal one. Where it changed dramatically is the NFL inclusion.
David Deane was very clever with his initial plan but when he left they lost their rudder and eventually the plot and stagnated/Wengered for far too long.
It why you have to be so careful who we sell to. We also must concentrate and target the most financially rewarding competitions. Liverpool I think have been very clever in this regard.

Back