• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

Hence the under bit...

Missed jokes aside I don’t think that area of the pitch is where our focus needs to be. Lamela’s renaissance and Moura’s arrival gives us lots of options and Kane’s deputy is more likely to be Son as Llorente and Janssen are not trusted / capable of challenging for his place or filling in in an emergency.

Depending on the physical prognosis for dembele, Wanyama and Rose I’d say centre mid and a fast left back are a priority. Then in the summer we can spend some time working out what to do with Toby and if we upgrade one of the right backs.

As much as I like Zaha i think that ship has sailed, especially with his new contract. If we are on the phone to Palace I’d be asking them about Wan Bissaka and PVA.

I don’t know why but I have a feeling that Barrios will be the midfielder we sign, feels like he will be in the inflated price bracket we go for. Didn’t note anything outstanding about him in the WC, anyone else seen anything about him to want to sign him?
All spot on IMO although I think your full back choices back not be the best for us
What I saw with Barrios was the small fighter style that people seem to love at the moment. The style that Kante plays closing down space and chasing everything

Hence the under bit...

Missed jokes aside I don’t think that area of the pitch is where our focus needs to be. Lamela’s renaissance and Moura’s arrival gives us lots of options and Kane’s deputy is more likely to be Son as Llorente and Janssen are not trusted / capable of challenging for his place or filling in in an emergency.

Depending on the physical prognosis for dembele, Wanyama and Rose I’d say centre mid and a fast left back are a priority. Then in the summer we can spend some time working out what to do with Toby and if we upgrade one of the right backs.

As much as I like Zaha i think that ship has sailed, especially with his new contract. If we are on the phone to Palace I’d be asking them about Wan Bissaka and PVA.

I don’t know why but I have a feeling that Barrios will be the midfielder we sign, feels like he will be in the inflated price bracket we go for. Didn’t note anything outstanding about him in the WC, anyone else seen anything about him to want to sign him?

I like Zaha, though I know he is a divisive figure on here. I dont argue, he can certainly produce more, and would certainly be over priced, but I do like him and think he would add a dimension to our side we currently lack. That said, I agree with you completely in that that area of the pitch just isnt a priority.

For me CM is absolutely, 100%, the major focus. We need to strengthen. Our CM is weaker than our competition by a huge margin. Which means its also ripe for the biggest improvement in the team. A proper CM in and we can hit the next level.

LB I dont disagree, but I dont see as quite the priority either. Id be completely focused on CM for Jan.

Wan Bissaka does look very talented, massive potential, but do we need him? Trippier, Aurier, and everyones favourtie KWP - where would Wan Bissaka fit in? We would need to clear at least two of those out to make room.

PVA, bit of a MOTD player for me, unconvinced if he has the workrate and defensive game to suit us. Cant argue with his attacking contributions though (possibly another Trippier?).

Barrios, on paper, is built for us. Clearly young and raw though. People slated him in the WC, played 3 games as I recall. The one I caught I thought he did well in to be honest, but its hardly enough to really judge.

Sander Berge and Adrien Rabiot the latest CMs being linked in the gutter press.

Both of a similar ilk, powefull ball players.....

Rabiot wouldnt surprise me at all. We have been linked for a LONG time, I have no doubt there have been many talks with him over the years and an existing relationship.

Also that PSG have dealt with us before on Aurier and Lucas and seem happy in doing so.

I'd take a punt on Sander Berge. The lads got some real talent! Excellent technical ability, and is really good at bringing the ball forward. He isn't first Xi material quite yet, but I guess he won't cost more than £5m, maybe up to 10,so definitely worth a shot. Only 20 years old.

I like Zaha, though I know he is a divisive figure on here. I dont argue, he can certainly produce more, and would certainly be over priced, but I do like him and think he would add a dimension to our side we currently lack. That said, I agree with you completely in that that area of the pitch just isnt a priority.

For me CM is absolutely, 400%, the major focus. We need to strengthen. Our CM is weaker than our competition by a huge margin. Which means its also ripe for the biggest improvement in the team. A proper CM in and we can hit the next level.

LB I dont disagree, but I dont see as quite the priority either. Id be completely focused on CM for Jan.

Wan Bissaka does look very talented, massive potential, but do we need him? Trippier, Aurier, and everyones favourtie KWP - where would Wan Bissaka fit in? We would need to clear at least two of those out to make room.

PVA, bit of a MOTD player for me, unconvinced if he has the workrate and defensive game to suit us. Cant argue with his attacking contributions though (possibly another Trippier?).

Barrios, on paper, is built for us. Clearly young and raw though. People slated him in the WC, played 3 games as I recall. The one I caught I thought he did well in to be honest, but its hardly enough to really judge.
Agree with all of this except PVA. He gets up and down the line and offfers genuine width which is exactly what we had when our full back combo of Walker and Rose were at their devestating best. We simply dont have that with Trippier/Davies and PVA/Aurier combination bombarding up and down the wing would be a much more powerful combination. He is defensively good enough operating in a well drilled Palace side under Hodgson and when you have full backs who constantly look to be on the front foot and carrying forward momentum as he would be in an attacking dominating team like us he'd be under less defensive pressure. Walker/Rose werent the best defenders IMO but tended to put much more pressure on the opposition than the other way round....

If what you say is true, then fair enough.

Cant say Ive seen it in him myself, though I dont claim to be an expert.

Always looks very suspect defensively to me, but then of course makes big contributions gong forward - hence the Trippier comparison.

If what you say is true, then fair enough.

Cant say Ive seen it in him myself, though I dont claim to be an expert.

Always looks very suspect defensively to me, but then of course makes big contributions gong forward - hence the Trippier comparison.
Obviously just my useless opinion:D But I think hes good enough defensively, and much like Walker his pace can get him out of trouble (not saying thats ideal) but Ive never seen him have a real brain fart - of course maybe if I was an avid Palace fan who watched him every minute of every game could find that not to be the case. I think the difference between him and Trippier is that his powerful running will always have his opposing defender on the backfoot, whilst with Trippier he has great delivery but doesnt overly occupy defenders going forward....

I've been casting my eye over these types. They are not great but not too shabby either.
Drinkwater is "meh" but can he do a job?
My Llorente replacement (if we should want to replace him?) would be along the lines of a Solanke type.
They are basically not getting games and are under £30m. There are a few knocking about I think. Wages, who knows.
There is little point in looking in £30m > area ATM.

Rabiot wouldnt surprise me at all. We have been linked for a LONG time, I have no doubt there have been many talks with him over the years and an existing relationship.

Also that PSG have dealt with us before on Aurier and Lucas and seem happy in doing so.

I'd take a punt on Sander Berge. The lads got some real talent! Excellent technical ability, and is really good at bringing the ball forward. He isn't first Xi material quite yet, but I guess he won't cost more than £5m, maybe up to 10,so definitely worth a shot. Only 20 years old.

With Wanyama and Dembele becoming increasingly unreliable, why not both?

With Wanyama and Dembele becoming increasingly unreliable, why not both?

My issue with Sander Berge is that bringing in anither player who isnt English creates a strain our already challenged squad numbers Of overseas players

Plus would he hinder the development of Skipp or Amos who are already here

For me CM is absolutely, 400%, the major focus. We need to strengthen. Our CM is weaker than our competition by a huge margin. Which means its also ripe for the biggest improvement in the team. A proper CM in and we can hit the next level.

I’m pro Zaha, but for his wages and currently being a talisman for his home club I can’t see a scenario where we’d pay 70m + over 100k on wages to put him in competition with 5 or 6 other players to see if he can take the next step. It’s probably similar to Mahrez, there’s no doubt as an option he would have strengthened us but a real football club can’t pay someone 150k a week to be a sub. When everyone’s fit we have Eriksen and Alli who have been ever present for us over the last couple of years so Son Moura and Lamela are really all competing for a third position if we play 4231, I guess Son is Kane’s deputy too. As you’ve suggested we’d need to move someone on and I can’t see it.

lB - I just want pre transfer talk Danny Rose back, but if he is nowhere near getting back I’d hate to be relying on davies for the entire season. My scouting is based on mainly spurs game so is limited to our opponents but I think PVA has played for two defensive minded coaches and still added a few goals. As i think @harr1984 eluded too, I like the idea of our full backs become a worry for opponents rather than the other way around and our best play against top teams felt like it came when Rose and walker were both available.
Rb - I don’t disagree, Kwp needs a loan and a run of games as he’s not going to get them here. I’ve not seen enough to convince me he’s going to be top drawer but a loan was the making of Rose and Walker and I think he needs it for himself as much as now. Aurier appears to have improved and Trippiers stock is high. I feel the latter is better with a back 3 allowing him to focus on his delivery so I’d be tempted to cash in for a prospect who may combine Auriers physical abilities with Trippiers Technical ones.
So in summary - midfielder without doubt, left back if Rose is done, right back if we can shift one out for a top prospect - offer palace Llorente or Janssen, they’d still be more prolific than benteke!

Obviously just my useless opinion:D But I think hes good enough defensively, and much like Walker his pace can get him out of trouble (not saying thats ideal) but Ive never seen him have a real brain fart - of course maybe if I was an avid Palace fan who watched him every minute of every game could find that not to be the case. I think the difference between him and Trippier is that his powerful running will always have his opposing defender on the backfoot, whilst with Trippier he has great delivery but doesnt overly occupy defenders going forward....
You captured my thoughts exactly..hope that doesn’t mean my opinion is useless too!

Back