• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window thread?

I barely recall him playing there ever. Could be my mistake, but given how keen I am to see him there I would imagine its the sort of thing that would stick in my mind.

I think Poch will have had ample opportunity to use him centrally, and hasnt. I cant accept that in over 4 seasons he has only just got the chance.

So when we were playing 4231 with both Lamela and Eriksen starting XI players you think there was ample opportunity to just leave Eriksen on the sidelines outside of EL group games and early round cup games? I dont really see the logic in doing that - Lamela had his position in the team and played every game when fit pretty much, as did Eriksen - he wasnt an understudy to Eriksen waiting for his shot.

I think they are very different players. They both have any eye for a pass but Lamela isn’t nearly as assured on the ball as Eriksen is IMO. I think our entire team are confident that they can pass to Eriksen on either foot and he will retain possession, even when marked, he is like Modric in this respect. Lamela’s touch is more erratic IMO, I think Lamela is a player that does his best work as high up the pitch as possible with clever little through balls played over only 5 or 10 metres, whereas Eriksen’s sweet spot is a little further back as he can ping passes of any length with either foot.

They certainly are different players but then for the most part have played differing roles so how much of that is down to instruction would be hard to say - i wouldn't expect a wide forward to be instructed to play a similar passing game to a central playmaker the same i wouldnt expect to see a Trippier playing the ball around like one of the CBs

Eriksen picks up knocks, needs resting, has odd injuries.

We have had the like of N'Jie gagging for opportunities, its not like Lamelas spot couldnt have been covered.

There will have been opportunities. They werent taken / they have hardly ever been taken.

As much as Id like to see Lamela play there, it seems Poch doesnt share the view.

I think its something of a stretch to suggest over 4 seasons there hasnt been chances.

When you break it down as i have the opportunities were not as often as you make them sound. You disagee, thats fine, but afaic to state that 'clearly Poch doesnt fancy him there' just doesnt stack up to the slightest bit of scrutiny

When you break it down as i have the opportunities were not as often as you make them sound. You disagee, thats fine, but afaic to state that 'clearly Poch doesnt fancy him there' just doesnt stack up to the slightest bit of scrutiny

The we have to disagree. I dont find "he had a position already" as reason enough that he hasnt had chances to play there over 4+ seasons. If it was in Pochs thinking it would have been tried more.

The we have to disagree. I dont find "he had a position already" as reason enough that he hasnt had chances to play there over 4+ seasons. If it was in Pochs thinking it would have been tried more.

How often does Kane get left on the bench for Son/Llorente/Janssen, when fit just to see how they get on? Outside of early round cup games

They all started with him, when he was injured, when he has needed a rest. And as they are understudy/back up - they wont have had excessive chances anyway.

Point being though - chances they all had.

Lamela? Barely a sniff. When Eriksen is injured? No. When Eriksen needs a break? No. And I dont buy its because he had the right side sewn up so couldnt be moved. We have had right sided options both good enough to play and desperate to prove themselves there as well.

We have never had real cover for Eriksen.

Surely, if it was in Pochs thoughts, he would have found opportunities to test it out?

They all started with him, when he was injured, when he has needed a rest. And as they are understudy/back up - they wont have had excessive chances anyway.

As did Lamela alongside Eriksen whenever he was fit. He didn't get excessive chances either as he was needed in the first team himself every week.

Point being though - chances they all had.

Lamela? Barely a sniff. When Eriksen is injured? No.

Explain please - when was Eriksen injured and Lamela not used?

When Eriksen needs a break? No.

Like in early EL/domestic cup games? You do realise as a starter himself (and someone clearly more prone to injuries) Lamela also would have needed resting - maybe more so than Eriksen as his role in the team was much more physical...

And I dont buy its because he had the right side sewn up so couldnt be moved. We have had right sided options both good enough to play and desperate to prove themselves there as well.

Son being the only one of any quality and even he didnt oust Lamela from his starting position the year he signed (nor the start of the following season)

We have never had real cover for Eriksen.

Yes we did, he was just also a starter and with Eriksen being freakishly fit cover is rarely needed - i find it strange that since Eriksen and Lamela joined the club we never signed another creative attacking midfielder nor were ever really strongly linked to one - almost as though the manager thinks we were covered.

Surely, if it was in Pochs thoughts, he would have found opportunities to test it out?

Like in-game during 15/16 when the front 4 would rotate and swap roles throughout the game? Quite often you'd see Eriksen popping up on the wing attacking the box and Lamela deep/central

Look, if Poch was serious about Lamela being a starter in place/as cover for Eriksen I think sometime since 2013 we would have seen him tried there.

As it is, he hasnt been. He has spent periods of games rotated in as things develop, which is why I personally think he could work there - but I dont see that as a genuine attempt to test him there.

I cant even think of a game he has started in that position. Let alone a number of games. Which is why I think Poch isnt serious about him being an option there. Seems pretty obvious, and thats coming from someone who WANTS it to happen.

You disagree, have excuses for why it hasnt happened, thats cool. I dont buy it, but then neither of us are obliged to agree, are we?

I just object to you saying something is clear cut when its a far more nuanced than that.

But yeah happy to agree to disagee...

It looks pretty clear to me. 4 years, and we are scratching for examples of Lamela getting tried there.

From a manager who specifically wants players to adopt more than one position, and practices as much with pretty well every member of the squad.

To my mind that is pretty clear cut, you disagree - thats fine.

It looks pretty clear to me. 4 years, and we are scratching for examples of Lamela getting tried there.

From a manager who specifically wants players to adopt more than one position, and practices as much with pretty well every member of the squad.

To my mind that is pretty clear cut, you disagree - thats fine.

Yeah i saw i exactly that with Lamela and Eriksen in the two full seasons they played alongside one another - pretty fluid front 4 (less so from Chadli) with each exchanging positions/roles during games - if you need to see Eriksen dropped when fit in order to see Lamela as a proper understudy then fair enough.

I need to see Lamela starting in the role to appreciate he is being given a chance there.

I dont see a fluid midfield as the same thing at all. Moving in game vs starting? Doesnt mean the same to me.

I need to see Lamela starting in the role to appreciate he is being given a chance there.

I dont see a fluid midfield as the same thing at all. Moving in game vs starting? Doesnt mean the same to me.

Fair enough, id say its difficult to see what you want to see when the two players in question were both first XI players - doesn't really leave much room to chop and change when you rely on them both. Personally id wager last season with the switch to 2 behind Kane you would have seen exactly what you are describing - but that's hypothetical now

Back