• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window thread?

They are my second team (closest to where I grew up), so a tad more than the other 18 EPL teams.

I just don't like his style. I think he's one of those chaotic Bolasie/Wanchope players that are effective for poor team, but lack the intelligence for teams that have more strategic offensive play

Do not get me started on all the players we currently have at the club that you deemed not good enough before we signed then

they certainly say he has a lot more end product than Bolasie, not saying his a world beater but your criticisms do seem to be of the player he was rather than the one he is now. I personally think we need a bit of unpredictability as that is what we are missing, we have very good players who can do a lot of things very well but its just a bit predictable, also why i am not adverse to a discounted Barkley.

Has he ever been effective against a deep sitting defence? Teams defend very differently against us or United compared to Palace (or Everton). That's why we tend to need players with more subtlety and guile. I just see Zaha and Barkley has having the same fundamental flaws as Sissoko.

What's the purpose of the signing though?

I don't know you never stated, all you did was dismiss Zaha and promote Sessegnon, two players at different stages of their careers.

Do you want a senior journeyman sulking on the bench, or someone that in 3 years' time could well be the next Bale?

If it's a choice of only one signing this January then I'd rather take experience that can add to the squad now then someone for the future. I like Sessegnon but the kids 17 and never played in the Premiership, it's a lot to ask for him to step up and push for a first team place this season, he's a player for the long term as you say. I don't know if Zaha would be the answer, but we need to add something different to the attack. Watching Son out on the left wing against Stoke stretching the opposition defence created more space centrally, Zaha could do the same job on the right wing with both able to perform as wingers or inside forwards, it's one possible answer when teams park the bus and defend narrow.

Has he ever been effective against a deep sitting defence? Teams defend very differently against us or United compared to Palace (or Everton). That's why we tend to need players with more subtlety and guile. I just see Zaha and Barkley has having the same fundamental flaws as Sissoko.
He's certainly done it in a packed final third when not on the break which is probably comparable.

He was ripping Watford so much last game they put a second rb against him.

Not going to change your mind on him but I don't agree with your conclusion

Zaha is quality, I suggested Mahrez but would be very much on board with him. Basically we need someone who runs with the ball at pace and stretches teams, he has skill to beat a man from standstill position. We have enough AMs that can play tippy tappy football, this isnt always enough - he would be a different dimension and a welcome one....

Just on your last point. I see Zaha, Barkley and Sissoko as wildly different players, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. To be honest I can't see a similarity between any of them from a playing style perspective. They all have flaws, as all players do, but IMO they are certainly not the same flaws.

Zaha is quality, I suggested Mahrez but would be very much on board with him. Basically we need someone who runs with the ball at pace and stretches teams, he has skill to beat a man from standstill position. We have enough AMs that can play tippy tappy football, this isnt always enough - he would be a different dimension and a welcome one....
Kane, Son, Eriksen, Alli, Winks, Dembele, Rose and Aurier all have the ability to beat a man. Son, Rose and Aurier also combine that with good pace.

Even though the rest in that list aren't particularly fast we certainly have the ability to counter attack very effectively when game conditions allow us to break.

For me what we miss more than a dribbling attacker is quick tempo passing. Particularly when Winks and/or Lamela are missing. Alli, Eriksen, Kane and Dembele are all fond of the extra touch.

I'll admit to not seeing a lot of Zaha in the last two seasons, could be he's stepped up another level. But I haven't been that impressed with him when I have seen him. He certainly has a lot of talent, if his decision making and consistency has improved (enough) he could be an interesting signing.

Just on your last point. I see Zaha, Barkley and Sissoko as wildly different players, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. To be honest I can't see a similarity between any of them from a playing style perspective. They all have flaws, as all players do, but IMO they are certainly not the same flaws.
What I think GB is saying is that they've all succeeded playing in primarily counter attacking sides. I think that's less true about Barkley, at his best under Martinez he certainly looked capable of being a force in a high possession side and looked creative enough to be a difference maker.

Unsure about his consistency, pressing and versatility. He has primarily succeeded as a #10, for us he would have to be able to play different roles I think. Cheaply or on a free he seems a decent enough gamble though, at worst he'll probably end up a decent squad player for a few years and making us a bit of money in the process.

Kane, Son, Eriksen, Alli, Winks, Dembele, Rose and Aurier all have the ability to beat a man. Son, Rose and Aurier also combine that with good pace.

Even though the rest in that list aren't particularly fast we certainly have the ability to counter attack very effectively when game conditions allow us to break.

For me what we miss more than a dribbling attacker is quick tempo passing. Particularly when Winks and/or Lamela are missing. Alli, Eriksen, Kane and Dembele are all fond of the extra touch.

I'll admit to not seeing a lot of Zaha in the last two seasons, could be he's stepped up another level. But I haven't been that impressed with him when I have seen him. He certainly has a lot of talent, if his decision making and consistency has improved (enough) he could be an interesting signing.
Sorry but none of those players mentioned are anywhere near Zaha for beating a player, bar Dembele who can’t be relied upon anymore and doesn’t get anywhere near the goals and assists if Zaha anyway. Zaha consistently takes out three players or more when he dribbles, we just don’t have that type of impact player in our team. I will agreee that having Lamela back gives us something different, because he looks for that forward killer pass quickly....

Can we stop with this zaha nonsense ... head down merchant. He is not a footballer just an athlete.
He is a larger Lennon and someone that we have moved forward from.

He would be incredibly frustrating.

Zaha will be big big money.
But he ATM he is looking excellent in my opinion. would be great under a Poch.
Roy has a very good player in Saha and I just dont see them letting him go OR us paying the money!

Zaha will be big big money.
But he ATM he is looking excellent in my opinion. would be great under a Poch.
Roy has a very good player in Saha and I just dont see them letting him go OR us paying the money!

They won’t sell unless it’s crazy mine6 as he is vital to them stayin* up

He is also on silly money for a player who has achieved so little but that verifies his importance to their team

If Mahrez is genuinely available at £35m as was reported in the summer then I’d be all over that

They are my second team (closest to where I grew up), so a tad more than the other 18 EPL teams.

I just don't like his style. I think he's one of those chaotic Bolasie/Wanchope players that are effective for poor team, but lack the intelligence for teams that have more strategic offensive play

I can’t disagree with your comments about his style but Bollassie was doing ok at everyone befor his injury to be fair

We do need a player who is different to what we have as variety is something Poch himself has highlighted as a weakness

A lot for me would also depend on the price. I would not pay anything more than £15m (£20m tops) for Zaha. And I think Palace would want a lot more which he is definitely not worth

A lot for me would also depend on the price. I would not pay anything more than £15m (£20m tops) for Zaha. And I think Palace would want a lot more which he is definitely not worth

A fair price in the current market is £30m plus

They will want £60m plus I guess as he is worth that to them

All of these hypothetical numbers and budgets are neither here or there.

Market price and value are different. So many factors like most have pointed out, Zaha is vital to palace.

Surely there are better players with a larger potential ceiling than Zaha.

Can we stop with this zaha nonsense ... head down merchant. He is not a footballer just an athlete.
He is a larger Lennon and someone that we have moved forward from.

He would be incredibly frustrating.
You talk like someone who hasn’t actually bothered watching Zaha for the past couple of seasons. Another good finish by him again today, just an athlete do me a favour....

You talk like someone who hasn’t actually bothered watching Zaha for the past couple of seasons. Another good finish by him again today, just an athlete do me a favour....

Scored a lovely goal. I was surprised.

Don't think he is the sort of player that would fit into our technically great team.

I'd rather take a punt on demerai Gray. Think he has the finesse and potential to be a really good player under poch

Back