• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window thread?

So you just watched MOTD and saw him fluff an easy chance and pass for a goal? All things considered, injuries, match changing ability, and age, yes Mane is almost as good as Bale. Probably more valuable. Mane didn't score that chance today, and he should have passed, but he has the ability to create out of nothing. Not quite on Bale's level, but he's the sort of player that would enhance us, and Poch is on recording specifically saying he wanted a player like Mane.

Lol bale can do everything mane can ... mane can't do everything bale can.

Lol bale can do everything mane can ... mane can't do everything bale can.

...apart from staying fit and being able to play lol.

When fit I agree Bale is better than Mane. Shooting especially from distance.. etc The pont was, all things considered, there are other players out there that can deliver almost as much and maybe more than Bale who’s often injured, and 28. Mane is the kind of game changing player Poch wanted. Bale would be even better imo as his stock is relatively low and if the story I linked to is correct, RM want him off their books.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

...apart from staying fit and being able to play lol.

When fit I agree Bale is better than Mane. Shooting especially from distance.. etc The pont was, all things considered, there are other players out there that can deliver almost as much and maybe more than Bale who’s often injured, and 28. Mane is the kind of game changing player Poch wanted. Bale would be even better imo as his stock is relatively low and if the story I linked to is correct, RM want him off their books.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Mane also has a bit of an injury record ... any one that thinks bale couldn't do a job in this team is delusional. Whether that happens is a different discussion.

Its not whether or not he can do a job. Of course he can, he can "do a job" in any team on the planet.

Its more about whether or not its worth it.

I think, undoubtedly, his arrival would change the balance of the team fundamentally.
I think its fair to say his fitness record is appalling.

Is it worth changing everything so much for someone you might only get half a season out of?

And, of course, there is the expense. Is he worth what he would cost?

And, naturally, there is the consideration that he is 28, consistently injured, and a player that relies on his physicality to set himself apart - does he have any longevity in him at all?

On his day, fit and on form? Phenominal player, no doubt about it. BUT.... Is he what we need? Should we get him if we could? Honestly its a no for me.

I much prefer our current model, which clearly works for us.

Its not whether or not he can do a job. Of course he can, he can "do a job" in any team on the planet.

I think, undoubtedly, his arrival would change the balance of the team fundamentally.

Is it worth changing everything so much for someone you might only get half a season out of?

And, naturally, there is the consideration that he is 28, consistently injured, and a player that relies on his physicality to set himself apart - does he have any longevity in him at all?

On his day, fit and on form? Phenominal player, no doubt about it. BUT.... Is he what we need? Should we get him if we could? Honestly its a no for me.

I understand all of that and agree but I'm also of that stance that if a player came come in and improve the team then it's worth it.

I think our fortunes started to turn over players like David's signed. They have a mythical/ magical aura that seems to increase the teams levels. Can't put a price on that.

Younger players especially get a little boost and can certainly learn more than a lot from bale. The current price quoted is not that far off sissokos price. The wages however would destroy our current set up which I don't think levy will sanction.

Bale kane alli Eriksen would be dynamite.

So despite the fact that Eriksen has outperformed all those, in pretty much every stat, ever since he joined us, still makes him a level below them? Great logic!
I dont know what stats you're looking at, but if you're telling me you think Eriksen is as good or better than Hazard or De Bryne Id have to disagree. I think you'd struggle to find anyone outside of this forum who would say that....

Someone like Bale would come with an aura which would elevate others, would love to see Dele et al feeding off of him - and thats before you consider what Bale could do himself.

Our current model hasnt won us anything btw....

I understand all of that and agree but I'm also of that stance that if a player came come in and improve the team then it's worth it.

I think our fortunes started to turn over players like David's signed. They have a mythical/ magical aura that seems to increase the teams levels. Can't put a price on that.

Younger players especially get a little boost and can certainly learn more than a lot from bale. The current price quoted is not that far off sissokos price. The wages however would destroy our current set up which I don't think levy will sanction.

Bale kane alli Eriksen would be dynamite.

I see the logic, but I just dont agree.

There is so much more to a move like this than simply "Does he improve the team? ok? Go!".

And Im far from convinced Bale is anything like Davids who I was a tremendous fan of.

I get where you are going with it, I just dont think Bale is that man.

I also think the amount of compromise it would include, for a player virtually guaranteed to be only sporadically in the team, just isnt worth it.

Now, splashing all that money on the next Bale (type/level player, not necessarily like for like)? Grabbing someone like MBappe before the big boys get him? Absolutley.

Someone like Bale would come with an aura which would elevate others, would love to see Dele et al feeding off of him - and thats before you consider what Bale could do himself.

Our current model hasnt won us anything btw....

Our current model has taken us from an Aston Villa like downward trajectory to consecutive title challenges and the highest CL group points tally. I am quite happy with the path we are on. Especially as its a model that promotes ongoing improvement and success, and is sustainable.

Spunking gazillions on worldie players that never play and would throw everything out of whack? Just doesnt appeal to me.

And yes, Im not silly, I can well see why people would find Bale attractive. As I said, on balance, it just doesnt work for me over all.

I see the logic, but I just dont agree.

There is so much more to a move like this than simply "Does he improve the team? ok? Go!".

And Im far from convinced Bale is anything like Davids who I was a tremendous fan of.

I get where you are going with it, I just dont think Bale is that man.

I also think the amount of compromise it would include, for a player virtually guaranteed to be only sporadically in the team, just isnt worth it.

Now, splashing all that money on the next Bale (type/level player, not necessarily like for like)? Grabbing someone like MBappe before the big boys get him? Absolutley.

It may not appeal to people. And you have your opinion on what bale can do for our team.

A player that struggled in the premiership initially to go on to having a spectacular career can only inspire spurs players.

To have a "token" player that on ability absolutely ticks the boxes walking out in the new lane would give us serious clout and tremendously enhance our odds off CL qualification and dare I say it win the league.

Finding the next bale/mbappe is not as easy as it sounds otherwise the league would be littered with them. We can't compete with money teams in securing their future, nor do I think it is essential currently, in addition certainly yes.

I feel that we are in a position to add real quality players to the team even if it is just the one, to improve the first team. Add that to finding players that can support and grow in the team and I don't think we will be far off.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't do both.

I can only imagine what bale can do for a player like sessegnon.

I just dont see Bale as that man. Ronaldo? Hell thats one that could be worth talking about. His quality and professionalism are beyond reproach, he leads, he does it week in week out...

And I disagree on the next MBappe type. Look at Sanchez, the lad has been incredible. We dropped £40m on a relatively unproven but high potential player. If this is the territory we are moving into I think we are likely to find more and more players set to step up to seriously high levels.

This is an evolution of our current system. We are moving past £10m punts on a maybe type player, and moving into £40m investments on a near cert. The new stadium will only see more of this sort of move IMO.

Now, Im not against buying in some ready made quality. No issue at all - I just dont know that spending ridiculous sums on a player known to hardly play is the move to make.

You do, fair play to you for that. While I disagree I respect your right to an opinion. I think Ill leave it here though, seems a bit pointless going round in circles.

Our current model has taken us from an Aston Villa like downward trajectory to consecutive title challenges and the highest CL group points tally. I am quite happy with the path we are on. Especially as its a model that promotes ongoing improvement and success, and is sustainable.

Spunking gazillions on worldie players that never play and would throw everything out of whack? Just doesnt appeal to me.

And yes, Im not silly, I can well see why people would find Bale attractive. As I said, on balance, it just doesnt work for me over all.
Im not by any means criticising our model at all. However, you have to question whether this model is every going to bring genuine success ie trophies especially with the financial climate of football now. Im not saying blow all our cash on a load of superstars, but why not have one? I do believe we are that one special player away from seriously challenging from trophies. Our current model allows us to compete at the top table, but we always end up falling just short. I honestly believe acquring that one big name would fix that, and I would certainly put Bale in that category.....

Im not by any means criticising our model at all. However, you have to question whether this model is every going to bring genuine success ie trophies especially with the financial climate of football now. Im not saying blow all our cash on a load of superstars, but why not have one? I do believe we are that one special player away from seriously challenging from trophies. Our current model allows us to compete at the top table, but we always end up falling just short. I honestly believe acquring that one big name would fix that, and I would certainly put Bale in that category.....

Practically speaking, IMO, the only way we are going to get "a Bale" is the same we we got "the Bale".

We arent going to spend the money it takes to buy at that level. In fact, as you point to the financial climate - I doubt we could buy at that level even if we chose too.

However, the way we have gone about business has taken us a very long way - why wouldnt that continue to keep us improving? Especially as, with the new stadium, we can afford to buy the brightest and best of the up and coming talent.

In fact, considering we are not an Oligarch plaything, or a Saudi Princes toy, I would suggest that the way we do things is actually the only way we can.

And, on the showing of the last few seasons, I think its pretty well impossible to argue its not working.

Practically speaking, IMO, the only way we are going to get "a Bale" is the same we we got "the Bale".

We arent going to spend the money it takes to buy at that level. In fact, as you point to the financial climate - I doubt we could buy at that level even if we chose too.

However, the way we have gone about business has taken us a very long way - why wouldnt that continue to keep us improving? Especially as, with the new stadium, we can afford to buy the brightest and best of the up and coming talent.

In fact, considering we are not an Oligarch plaything, or a Saudi Princes toy, I would suggest that the way we do things is actually the only way we can.

And, on the showing of the last few seasons, I think its pretty well impossible to argue its not working.

Which hopefully Sessegnon and/or Sancho are the 2018 versions of.

And there's so much more satisfaction knowing we got Alli and Dier for £5m each, whereas say Chelsea have to pay £70m for Bakayoko and Kante.

Just because we have been gradually improving doesnt mean we then just go to the level of winning leagues etc - takes that something a bit extra. It is a lot easier to punch above your weight than it is to take that final major step. For example we keep seeing smaller teams punching above their weight in the PL coming 7th/8th, but never that top 6 because its just too bigger ask to break that final hurdle with such resources - looks like Burnley could be this years team. We appear to of hit our ceiling with this model - City are only going to continue to spend serious cash on the best,as will Man U and Chelsea so we will continue in all likelihood to battle for a top 4 place. And that is absolutely fine with me, Im not complaining at all. All Im saying is if we really want to go for major trophies we likely need to invest in at least one genuine world class player. With the new stadium who knows, maybe we can invest in such a type and afford to give others the inevitable appropriate salary increases? If not, we can continue to scrap for a top 4 position with our current model which again considering where we were, Im ok with....

Our problem is depth rather than missing one special player - our first XI is as good as anyone bar City and we run them closer than anyone else imho.

I think if Kane Alli Eriksen and Son were playing elsewhere you'd likely have them in the special bracket of players that you say we are missing.

Just because we have been gradually improving doesnt mean we then just go to the level of winning leagues etc - takes that something a bit extra. It is a lot easier to punch above your weight than it is to take that final major step. For example we keep seeing smaller teams punching above their weight in the PL coming 7th/8th, but never that top 6 because its just too bigger ask to break that final hurdle with such resources - looks like Burnley could be this years team. We appear to of hit our ceiling with this model - City are only going to continue to spend serious cash on the best,as will Man U and Chelsea so we will continue in all likelihood to battle for a top 4 place. And that is absolutely fine with me, Im not complaining at all. All Im saying is if we really want to go for major trophies we likely need to invest in at least one genuine world class player. With the new stadium who knows, maybe we can invest in such a type and afford to give others the inevitable appropriate salary increases? If not, we can continue to scrap for a top 4 position with our current model which again considering where we were, Im ok with....

Without wanting to offend, your issue seems to be impatience more than anything.

Me? Im looking at the last few seasons and still seeing continued progression, not a plateu or glass ceiling - so I cant really understand why you think we cant make the next level. We are a work in progress, and we are getting there, IMO.

And as you again point out - other teams will spend - in ways we cannot compete with. So why does it follow we should try and do what they do in getting a world class player (something that is entirely hypothetical, IMO, I simply dont think we can).

Especially when our approach has us with the best squad Ive ever seen in my time as a Spurs fan. As @billyiddo points out, our team is as good as any.

More expensive is not the same as better.

Man Utd spent £75m on Lukaku, would you honestly trade him for academy product Kane? (set to be "a Bale", if he isnt already).
£45m on Matic, would you trade him for £11m Wanyama?
£35m Lindeloff - against Sanchez? (I was going to say Alderweireld but Sanchez seemed the fairer comparison).

I do understand the desire for a next level player. I dont understand the insistence that player needs to be bought, when clearly what we do is working wonders.

There are very few players in this league I would trade for ours. And thats not bias, thats a measure of just how good we are right now. Another couple of seasons of adding depth and quality and where might we be?

Our problem is depth rather than missing one special player - our first XI is as good as anyone bar City and we run them closer than anyone else imho.

I think if Kane Alli Eriksen and Son were playing elsewhere you'd likely have them in the special bracket of players that you say we are missing.
But City are the benchmark, they're only going to get stronger as are Man U under Mourinho. Whats the point of saying our first XI is as good as anyone bar City, thats not going to get us domestic trophies is it?

As for your last point, Im talking about established top class stars. Of your list only Kane would fit that - definitely not Dele, Eriksen isnt consistent enough and Son isnt near that level either.....

But City are the benchmark, they're only going to get stronger as are Man U under Mourinho. Whats the point of saying our first XI is as good as anyone bar City, thats not going to get us domestic trophies is it?

As for your last point, Im talking about established top class stars. Of your list only Kane would fit that - definitely not Dele, Eriksen isnt consistent enough and Son isnt near that level either.....

I disagree regarding Eriksen and Son but can concede Dele as more potential atm - Eriksen and Son both contribute on a fantastic level in terms of either creative output or goals and stack up well when compared to anyone in the league. Youve been touting Mahrez as the go-to special player we should be signing but he is well in the same bracket as our guys and it would be debatable whether he is even on their level - certainly wouldnt swap him for Son myself.

Being one of the best 2/3 teams consistently in the league over a reasonable period should be enough to challenge and win honors domestically - or do you think the only side who wins trophies is the single best side on paper in the league each season?

Back