• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window thread?

Damn, why didn’t Levy think of that earlier?! I don’t think there’s one person involved at Spurs from fan to chairman that doesn’t want us to sign players as soon as possible, but there are very obvious reasons why we don’t.

Do we take the financial hit or not, that is the question?
Also, if the selling club say yes but only once we've got a replacement, what do you do? Go with your second choice (third etc.) or wait for the player you really wanted?

Exactly. Levy doesn’t leave it late for the sake of it, we just can’t go all in on a player early. How much would Sanchez cost at start of transfer window? 50 plus million?
I genuinely wouldn't have put it past some of our rivals to make a move at an earlier time either in a genuine attempt to sign him or to hike up the price/wages.

At a later date most of them had already made CB signings and couldn't make a real move and would struggle to make a false move look credible.

Damn, why didn’t Levy think of that earlier?! I don’t think there’s one person involved at Spurs from fan to chairman that doesn’t want us to sign players as soon as possible, but there are very obvious reasons why we don’t.

Do we take the financial hit or not, that is the question?

Well if the reasons are obvious and we're not able to get around them then clearly our manager hasnt twigged that yet - he clearly believes that its possible for us to have our signings sorted earlier.

Well if the reasons are obvious and we're not able to get around them then clearly our manager hasnt twigged that yet - he clearly believes that its possible for us to have our signings sorted earlier.
I think it's exactly because he does realise how difficult it is to get early signings in the summer window that he is now saying we need to use the January window for that purpose.

Could sign a player in January, loan him back, player has horrific injury ...

I know it's not that common but still a big risk, especially paying for the sort of talent that we need to up our current level.

I think it's exactly because he does realise how difficult it is to get early signings in the summer window that he is now saying we need to use the January window for that purpose.

Baring in mind though that Poch has never ever signed a player in January. Except Alli, which Pleat arranged.

Baring in mind though that Poch has never ever signed a player in January. Except Alli, which Pleat arranged.
Don’t think signings can really be attributed to Poch. It’s a club thing rather than a manager thing. No doubt he gives the final blessing, but the timing is not his responsibility.

True. But from that interview it sounds like he might be changing his approach.
Or maybe the 'right' player has simply never been available.
He also talks about promoting from within the academy, which is good.

Exactly. Levy doesn’t leave it late for the sake of it, we just can’t go all in on a player early. How much would Sanchez cost at start of transfer window? 50 plus million?

Plenty of clubs signed players at non inflated fees - When ever you sign a player as a PL club its always going to be higher.

There is no reason why we cant act earlier, its hurt us yet again.

Its very easy to make arguments about why buying earlier should be better, or arguments why buying later should be better.

For example, buying later should mean that all the team which are richer than us have done most of their business so we're one of the richest buyers left; flipside to that is that buying late means that the selling club wants a higher price as they have less time to get a replacement.

However setting aside those hypothetical arguments and looking at fact (ie what has actually happened), I dont really see any evidence that signings we make earlier or later in the window are better or worse value, or are more/less successful. We've signed some absolute howlers at different parts of the window, but also some gems early and late. So unless someone disproves that, then I cant see that the timing during the window when a player is signed makes any difference to whether a player is successful

Also, if the selling club say yes but only once we've got a replacement, what do you do? Go with your second choice (third etc.) or wait for the player you really wanted?

That’s very relevant to the Llorente signing
Who they wouldn’t say sell until they had Bony
Who city wouldn’t sell until late in teh widnow for another reason

Plenty of clubs signed players at non inflated fees - When ever you sign a player as a PL club its always going to be higher.

There is no reason why we cant act earlier, its hurt us yet again.
I’m not sure it’s that simple, as much as Levy thrives in Levy time he and Poch are very much in sync and I don’t think Levy does deals later just for the hell of it....

I would like us to sign someone who could give us cover a centre back and midfield, like Dier. Injuries and suspension could hurt us in that area as the season goes on.
Can't see any big investment.

I would like us to sign someone who could give us cover a centre back and midfield, like Dier. Injuries and suspension could hurt us in that area as the season goes on.
Can't see any big investment.

I tjink those kind of players are very unique hence why Dier is so valuable to us

It’s not just the flexibility to play in both roles it’s the way he does it mid game that’s so rare and clever

However setting aside those hypothetical arguments and looking at fact (ie what has actually happened), I dont really see any evidence that signings we make earlier or later in the window are better or worse value, or are more/less successful. We've signed some absolute howlers at different parts of the window, but also some gems early and late. So unless someone disproves that, then I cant see that the timing during the window when a player is signed makes any difference to whether a player is successful

It's almost as if every transfer is different and we adopt the approach that we think is best for each.

All considered, most clubs would kill for our recent record in the transfer market.

Back