• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham's second string vs asters tripolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an enjoyable watch!:p

What quality goals; has Lamela put us back on the football-hipster map after Bale?

But Jesus, what is wrong at the back?

If we can't drop one of Eriksen Lamela Chadli to accommodate Kane... maybe we drop Soldado and play CHADLI up front with Kane behind. He has the attributes.

Most people on here would say drop Kaboul. The hole he leaves would tighten up our defence.

I reckon we should try and arrange a gg meet up at a europa league game. drinks in the bell and hare.
Hopefully somebody will try to make it before and after Everton game too as I put my c*ck on Ruble/Pound rates and will come to London for the game!
I've accidently met grimsbyyid and his friend on the stadium before AEL game (we were sitting on nearby seats) and had a great talk with them during the match and afterwards in B&H.

Awesome finishing. But our passing and defending was not good. Great fun game though with Kane's hatrick and cameo in goal :)

It really is a challenge playing these midweek games. As you don't have as long to prepare, and the side is constantly changing. So we still don't look like a cohesive unit. Still relying on individual moments of play rather than being able to interchange with tight passing. Capoue had a nice pass and move into the box first half and we have some decent players yet this team needs to come together into a unit still. Without Eriksen or Mason we lack passing ability in the middle.

fair play Steff, cracking humour on here tonight.

We have to laugh mate…we have differing opinions but fair is fair, he has not set the world alight tonight…I think he tries and I like him, but right now there is a stack who deserve their run…

BTW I have watched that Lamela goal a dozen times and still cannot figure out how he did it. I mean, I see it, I know what happened but it makes no sense that he got the power, direction, velocity and bend on it that he did with his left-heel. For christ's sake! I hope it shows him he needs to try more and touch the ball tippy-tappy a little less!!!!!

Curious decision by Poch to have Kane instead of Vorm who we will see in the return fixture. What gives? Vorm needs match fitness and play with his team mates.

Curious decision by Poch to have Kane instead of Vorm who we will see in the return fixture. What gives? Vorm needs match fitness and play with his team mates.

Eh? Do you mean Kane going in goal??

We already made our 3 subs so we couldn't bring Vorm on...

post game thoughts :

- dier is really good with his ball control and decision making ... he isn't a right back but played their admirably against his physique ( too big and bulky ) and compensated with awareness and good ball control. One thing i like about him is that he tries to attract to opposition to come to him before laying on the pass, so that the recipient will have more space/time. very considerate. (contrast this with bentaleb who releases it too early for my liking, so the marker is on to the recipient in a flash).

- lamela and eriksen vs lamela OR eriksen ... the latter offers us an alternate speedy player like townsend/lennon in the midfield and while they didn't make and impact directly, I think it makes it harder for the opposition, creates more movement in the centre of the park, and hence space. hard one for me as lamela and eriksen are our most technical players, but townsend did cut out his wild shots and did a lot of chasing down and cutting down options in the midfield

- dembele ... slowing the game or gaining control of the midfield... we bossed the midfield forcing aster with early over the top balls...in the Emirates Marketing Project game we had mason and capoue both passers but unable to hold to the ball, so we never looked settled. sure dembele slows the game down but today we saw that it helped the attack get into position to mount an attack.

- fazio and the high line ... fazio is a really good defender and it was good to see him actively marshalling the defence this game - potential captain material methinks. however like many defenders his size and build, he isn't the fastest and i think that very high line is very demanding - on any central defender, and maybe poch needs to think about dropping that high line to suit the CBs we have, at least for now

Pleased with Poch's attitude and interview after the game. If I was manager I would'nt be happy either. A better team would have caned us for our defensive mistakes tonight and its just not on. Also, for all the nice work upfront, there were still some glaring mistakes. Lamela's brilliant goal doesnt cover up the numerous times he gave the ball away with poor sloppy passes.

Poch see's that result for what it is, and knows that Sunday is what matters. I was impressed with him last night. Settling and being happy with medicrity has been our problem in the past. Im glad he was ****ed off last night.

Last edited:
Totally agree, although he seemed generally fked off all night. Maybe has got bored with telling them all they are
Fantastic players?? i know I have

Pleased with Poch's attitude and interview after the game. If I was manager I would'nt be happy either. A better team would have caned us for our defensive mistakes tonight and its just not on. Also, for all the nice work upfront, there were still some glaring mistakes. Lamela's brilliant goal doesnt cover up the numerous times he gave the ball away with poor sloppy passes.

Poch see's that result for what it is, and knows that Sunday is what matters. I was impressed with him last night. Settling and being happy with medicrity has been our problem in the past. Im glad he was ****ed off last night.

Keeps the fans grounded as well as the players.

Perspective Poch

I agree - dont think it was a good performance. Good win yep but not a good performance and that could be said about a few performances though. Our defensive side of the game really needs to improve no end. Poch has a role to play in that.

Delighted with the performance, the win and Lamela's wonder goal. But annoyed with our defending, especially the stupid red card by Lloris and the late goal conceded. This is the sort of performance and result that lifts the confidence of both the players and fans. It is only against a poor opponents like Asteras but it was encouraging the way we made use of our chances. It has been a long time since we played well like this in a Cup match.

Really enjoyed watching Lamela as he played well. Ofcourse he needs to improve but the way he scored both goals was world class. It was superb the way he scored his first goal. Only realised how difficult his technique was after looking at the replay a few times. It was a moment in history as it was an impossible goal which don't always get executed as perfectly as his. His second goal which was a first time volley was a top class goal as well. Lamela only scored 1 goal last season but he has already scored 2 goals so far this season which is encouraging. Hope he will now get more goals this season.

Big credit to Kane for his hattrick. But somehow, I was not surprised by his goals as I was expecting him to score. Kane seems to be fond of scoring goals easily in the Cup matches like Defoe used to. He should try to improve his form and finishing in the league as well. Anyway, won't mind if Kane starts ahead of Adebayor and Soldado in the league matches from now on. But Kane spoiled his good work by conceding that soft goal when he replaced Lloris in goal. Thought he should have punched the ball instead of trying to hold it.

Not at all impressed with our defending. Apart from the goal conceded, Asteras had many open chances to score which they wasted. In fact, they had a few one-on-one chances to score which Lloris did well to save. One of it was a world class save by Loris in the second half. But unfortunately, Lloris spoiled all his good work with his stupid red card so late in the game. Don't understand why Lloris had to come out so far to tackle the Asteras player when our goal was not in immediate danger. With us leading 5-0 and only a few mins left, Lloris should have just stayed in goal. Also, for the freekick, we didn't give enough protection for the makeshift goalie Kane. We should have put someone to guard the far post as it was clear they are going to target that. It is really annoying to concede another late goal as we have done that many times this season.

It is nice to get a big win after the humiliating loss to ManCity. Hope Lamela will now go on a goal scoring run. And hope we will now go on a winning run.

Last edited:
Crazy game- JJ had it right we were just more clinical in front of goal as the major difference tween the two sides. Aster as we're half decent (or we were half bad (mostly the defensive half!)).

Thought capoue was the weak link today, moose was tigerish in midfield but did not see enough of Capoue - stambouli should've played alongside moose for me.

Townsend huffed and puffed but didn't really have an end product, yet again. Not sure what poch is telling him he should be doing but he is pretty ineffective atm.

If we are going to persist with a high line with this slowness in defence then we are going to have to get used to get done over at times like whum did to us last year.

Kane is a decent player, in form, who I think deserves a shot in the league. For me chadders drops out In a like for like for Kane with Bobby up front and Lamela Eriksen. Be interesting to see what poch does on Sunday against the toon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back