• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United OMT ***

Tottenham Hotspur's record for New Year's Day matches 1910 - 2014...

P0398_zpsd2875fe8.png

Last edited:
Happy new year all!

This is a pivotal game for Tim; not just for the chase for the top 4 (if we're even really in with a chance of that) but also to show what tactical/managerial acumen he has really got, plus how he mentally can prepare the players for such big games. I think he failed the biggest test so far he's had vs West Ham. Now he has a chance to show he can learn from that and really manage us in big pressure cooker games.

We have always had a mental block at Old Trafford; in fact this was worse when he had the best squad capable of taking them on under Harry: we effectively seemed to have a deal that if they used light lube, we'd bend over no problem. I think Harry liked Alex's wine more than 3 points.

Anyway, let's hope Sherwood really can emulate AVB in this one and get a second win in 24 seasons. Manure are not at their best and if we get rolled over here, it will not look good to me for the rest of the season at all. If we win, then even those down the Seven Sister's road might start to worry about Saturday's FA Cup game.

I'd play:

Lloris

Walker Dawson Chiriches Rose

Capoue

Lennon Dembele Eriksen

Ade

Soldado

Of all the teams I want us to beat regularly, ManU is no.1 in my list. They have fecked us on and off the field far too many times over the years. Wish we can beat them everytime. AVB became a Spurs legend by leading us to beat them last season, our first win at ManU for 24 years ! It was a sweet, memorable and historic win which we can still celebrate for years to come. Sherwood can also become a legend if he can emulate AVB by beating ManU. Under AVB, we went 3 league matches unbeaten against ManU which is our best unbeaten run against them since the 1985-87 seasons. Frankly, I would be more confident to beat ManU if AVB is still in charge. But hope Sherwood will take it as a challenge to make history by becoming the first English manager since Venables to win at ManU.

But we shouldn't go all out attack in this match. I think ManU are still good at punishing attack-minded teams. They only struggle against teams who pack their midfield. Besides, our away match formula under AVB was so successfull. So want Sherwood to follow that by packing our midfield and only play Adebayor in attack. On current form, Adebayor deserves to start over Soldado who is still struggling to make an impact. Hope Adebayor will turn up with his goal-scoring boot on. But if Soldado does start, hope he will find the luck to score from open play. Obviously Soldado can't expect to win a penaly at ManU as the refs love them too much.

Can see this match being won or lost in midfield. ManU still have a very good midfield and we have to step up our game against them. The great performance of Bale, Sandro and Dembele was key to us beating them last season. Too bad Bale has left while Sandro is injured. Hope we can pair Dembele and Capoue there in this match. We need Capoue to stop their attacks from midfield. With Sandro injured, I think Capoue is the only one from our current midfield who can go into nasty challenges without fear. Lennon can be our key player in this match if we can lift his game. Also, as the stat shows, we never lose when Lennon scores. So hope Lennon can score here. Want to see Lamela coming on at some stage. But until them would prefer Eriksen play in midfield. He was poor against Stoke but hope he will show us the form which made us buy.

Without a doubt, our defence are going to be very busy in this match. Wish Vertonghen is fit. I think our defence looks more stable when he is around. Also, his early goal against ManU last season helped us on our way to the historic win. We will badly miss him in this match. Just hope Dawson and Chiriches will step up their game without making any silly mistakes. Hope Walker will be boosted by scoring that freekick goal against them earlier in the season. Wish Rose is fit. If not, would prefer Fryers than Naughton to play there. I think Fryers will want to prove a thing or two against his former team ManU. Hope we will see Lloris at his best in this match. Hope Lloris can emulate Friedel by helping us win at ManU.

Result is far more important than performance in this match. It is not really important if we are going to play well or not. We need to make use of any chances we create in this match. Hope we can repeat last season's historic win there. Will consider it a step backwards if we don't get atleast a draw in this match.

Tottenham Hotspur's record for New Year's Day matches 1910 - 2014...

P0398_zpsd2875fe8.png

Just remembered that brilliant 4-1 win over ManU under Gerry Francis in 1996. I think that was easily our best match under Francis, with Sheringham scoring 1 and Amrstrong scoring 2 goals. It was at home, but how sweet it will be if we can repeat that today.

Also, just went through our official match thread of that historic win of last season. It is really sweet going through all those posts again :
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showth...er-United-OMT-***?highlight=manchester+united

Wish we can celebrate like that after the match today.

I think this is a game where, because United play to win and like to attack on a nice big pitch, we should play Lamela and Lennon either side of Eriksen, two up top and one DM (Capoue).

..................Lloris
.Walker..Daws...Chiriches...Rose
................Capoue
....Lennon...Eriksen...Lamela
........Soldado.....Adebayor

Any official team news yet ?

Feeling nervous about this match already. What a tough match to play in our first match of 2014. Also really hate the late kickoff time of the match as well, coming at 1.30am here in Asia. It always put us under pressure when we have to play after all the other matches have finished. Hope we will get all the luck we need and beat them again !

Its 100th minute...10 minutes extra time!
Were winning 1.0...
Llorris scrambles into the back of the net and pushes the ball out.. as its a yard over the line...Reff blows final whistle...no goal is allowed..the Theatre of Dreams crowd look a bit miffed......

!

Happy new year all!

This is a pivotal game for Tim; not just for the chase for the top 4 (if we're even really in with a chance of that) but also to show what tactical/managerial acumen he has really got, plus how he mentally can prepare the players for such big games. I think he failed the biggest test so far he's had vs West Ham. Now he has a chance to show he can learn from that and really manage us in big pressure cooker games.

We have always had a mental block at Old Trafford; in fact this was worse when he had the best squad capable of taking them on under Harry: we effectively seemed to have a deal that if they used light lube, we'd bend over no problem. I think Harry liked Alex's wine more than 3 points.

Anyway, let's hope Sherwood really can emulate AVB in this one and get a second win in 24 seasons. Manure are not at their best and if we get rolled over here, it will not look good to me for the rest of the season at all. If we win, then even those down the Seven Sister's road might start to worry about Saturday's FA Cup game.

I'd play:

Lloris

Capoue

Lennon Dembele Eriksen

Ade

Soldado

This plainly has to be the most ridiculous paragraph of the year.

Lets be realistic shall we? TS has been in charge for about two weeks. yes, a whole two weeks! In that time we have had 4 games. We have never failed to score under him and have hit three goals twice in the PL - something your idol found extremely difficult to achieve! He has hardly had the opportunity of any time on the training pitch with the team, so to judge him at OT is hardly fair or reasonable. Lets give him some time shall we before we make a judgement.

In addition, he doesn't have some key players available to him today. Arguably, if fit, our first choice centre back pairing, and our two best midfield players. The whole roster of players unavailable is Verts, Kaboul, Rose, Sandro, Paulie, Townsend, Defoe and maybe others. I think that going to OT without those players would be a challenge for any manager, I don't care if it was Cloughie, Shankley. Paisley. SAF or whoever.

Wile the achievement of the previous encumbent's win at OT last season should be recognised, it was hardly a game we "controlled". Our Goals were not a fantastic piece of coaching excellence. Bales was a self made wonder goal, Verts got a lucky deflection and the keepers save fell kindly for Dempsey. Virtually the whole of the second half we under siege and our goal led a charmed life, much like Newcastles did against us this season.

Furthermore, TS doesn't have available to him any of the goalscorers from last seasons victory. The worlds most expensive player has moved on, so too Demsey and Verts is injured.

Plus, Webb is the ref.

If we get anything today, it will be a minor miracle - no matter who is in charge.

To misquote Alphaville from back in the day, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Happy new year all!

I'd play:

Lloris

Capoue

Lennon Dembele Eriksen

Ade

Soldado

Its not really a pivotal game for him.

I do not conform to this opinion that we need to beat the big sides, you can finish top four without beating the so called bigger sides but people are obsessed with beating them. Personally? it will be a few games before the team settles in his way of playing therefore it is not a pivotal game - no such thing.

I want us to win though and it would look great on TS if he did manage to get us a win there.

This plainly has to be the most ridiculous paragraph of the year.

Lets be realistic shall we? TS has been in charge for about two weeks. yes, a whole two weeks! In that time we have had 4 games. We have never failed to score under him and have hit three goals twice in the PL - something your idol found extremely difficult to achieve! He has hardly had the opportunity of any time on the training pitch with the team, so to judge him at OT is hardly fair or reasonable. Lets give him some time shall we before we make a judgement.

In addition, he doesn't have some key players available to him today. Arguably, if fit, our first choice centre back pairing, and our two best midfield players. The whole roster of players unavailable is Verts, Kaboul, Rose, Sandro, Paulie, Townsend, Defoe and maybe others. I think that going to OT without those players would be a challenge for any manager, I don't care if it was Cloughie, Shankley. Paisley. SAF or whoever.

Wile the achievement of the previous encumbent's win at OT last season should be recognised, it was hardly a game we "controlled". Our Goals were not a fantastic piece of coaching excellence. Bales was a self made wonder goal, Verts got a lucky deflection and the keepers save fell kindly for Dempsey. Virtually the whole of the second half we under siege and our goal led a charmed life, much like Newcastles did against us this season.

Furthermore, TS doesn't have available to him any of the goalscorers from last seasons victory. The worlds most expensive player has moved on, so too Demsey and Verts is injured.

Plus, Webb is the ref.

If we get anything today, it will be a minor miracle - no matter who is in charge.

So shall I call TS your idol then?? Whatever. I see you're making excuses for TS already and plainly don't understand what I mean by how pivotal this game is.

We are not just having to keep pace whilst being in the top 4, we will have to actually BEAT some of our top 4 rivals to have a chance to make it. Manure are one of those rivals. You can talk all you like about time and injuries (it's not like AVB didn't have to deal with such in his time, but I digress) but it's not like Manure are even anywhere near as good or as fearsome as they were last year (and last year's Manure team was not exactly vintage either) plus THEY also have some key injuries.

To maintain belief that we have a chance of top 4 we need to win make no mistake. I don't think anyone will complain if we don't 'control' but are a goal up with our goal leading a charmed life.
It's about TS showing that we can live with the big boys in key games; something that AVB, whatever you felt about him in the end, showed he was capable of getting Spurs to do.

3 points is 3 points.
If we fail (i.e don't even get a point) and fail miserably, it's curtains for top 4 imo

Last edited:
So shall I call TS your idol then?? Whatever. I see you're making excuses for TS already and plainly don't understand what I mean by how pivotal this game is.

We are not just having to keep pace whilst being in the top 4, we will have to actually BEAT some of our top 4 rivals to have a chance to make it. Manure are one of those rivals. You can talk all you like about time and injuries (it's not like AVB didn't have to deal with such in his time, but I digress) but it's not like Manure are even anywhere near as good or as fearsome as they were last year (and last year's Manure team was not exactly vintage either) plus THEY also have some key injuries.

To maintain belief that we have a chance of top 4 we need to win make no mistake. I don't think anyone will complain if we don't 'control' but are a goal up with our goal leading a charmed life.
It's about TS showing that we can live with the big boys in key games; something that AVB, whatever you felt about him in the end, showed he was capable of getting Spurs to do.

3 points is 3 points.
If we fail (i.e don't even get a point) and fail miserably, it's curtains for top 4 imo

TS is no idol of mine, but I do believe in giving everyone a fair crack of the whip. I waited to see what Your man was like for a season and a half. Ultimately, he sadly disappointed me - as he did many others. tS may or may not be the right coach for us, bot it is far too early to make that judgement.

The result of today's game is important yes, but not pivotal. And certainly not one to base your whole judgement on TS's coaching acumen, as you appear to wanting to do.

TS is no idol of mine, but I do believe in giving everyone a fair crack of the whip. I waited to see what Your man was like for a season and a half. Ultimately, he sadly disappointed me - as he did many others. tS may or may not be the right coach for us, bot it is far too early to make that judgement.

The result of today's game is important yes, but not pivotal. And certainly not one to base your whole judgement on TS's coaching acumen, as you appear to wanting to do.

Whether we agree about AVB's sacking or not, he was not given until the end of the season to turn things round; and it's not like we were in relegation form. So that says either the board at Spurs have either drawn a line on achieving anything substantial this season (i.e no trophy and no top 4 finish) or they expect TS to achieve this and this hit the ground running. And therefore no 'time to get things right'.

So the result today (and performance and in-game managerial changes. tactics etc) is important - if we want to get top 4. It is pivotal because how TS performs could mentally propel us forward. So yes it is pivotal and for you to suggest otherwise shows you are already making our Old Trafford excuses

Back