• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa ***

I suppose my point is that if we can’t afford to buy at the top end of the market then why employ managers who rely on that approach for success?

I wouldn’t put Conte in that bracket, he’s done it with smaller budgets, Juve and Inter are closer to us than they are Madrid/City spending wise.

Also, despite the spend difference, we have a squad at that level, due to Kane coming through the academy and smart signings of players like Hugo, Son, Kulu, Bentancur and Romero (who are at the top end of the market, but not priced accordingly) before the rest of game realise how good they are.

We had to have a manager that they would respect, which I admit is a mental weakness of some of them, the way they let Nuno down was disgraceful.

Conte was overwhelmingly the best option at the time.

I’ve been critical of him in the past, he was a stroppy clam early last season and put in a lot of lazy performances, he was taking up three defenders most of the game yesterday, meaning we always had at least two players wide open, he wasn’t the issue yesterday.

No he definitely wasn't, others seem afraid to take responsibility. Only kulu, perisic and to a lesser extent Bentancur seem prepared to step up and make it work.

There's also little to suggest he won't stick around.
Few in football sign long term contracts, how long a deal did poch sign, five years? How long into that did he last?

It seems to me you're being wilfully ignorant here - coaches on short contracts get judged on the short term as that is what they are signed up to.

Not sure how you get that I'm saying kane is the weakness from my post.
What I'm trying to say is that the system fails around harry because others aren't doing their job, not because of him.
ok
That wasn’t clear to me
But the system was fine last season with these players. We haven’t really lost any

Hugo fudged up big time no doubt, but the CBs barely even turned round to look at the ball when it went past them nevermind think of following in to clear if the keeper spills it.
Lackadaisical.
I agree
The only one who reacts was lenglet
But it’s reasonable to expect the keeper to not spill that like a pub keeper
Hugo has made more mistakes than anyone

It seems to me you're being wilfully ignorant here - coaches on short contracts get judged on the short term as that is what they are signed up to.
And it seems to me that you are being obtuse :p.
What part of the short contract are going to judge him on, unexpected top four last season, knock out stage qualifying this year, or out of carabou first round and the poor run we are currently in?
Its a real mixed bag, i don't feel there's enough evidence either way.

What part of the short contract are going to judge him on, unexpected top four last season, knock out stage qualifying this year, or out of carabou first round and the poor run we are currently in?

getting out of the domestic cups in the first round goes in the + column

I wouldn’t put Conte in that bracket, he’s done it with smaller budgets, Juve and Inter are closer to us than they are Madrid/City spending wise.

Also, despite the spend difference, we have a squad at that level, due to Kane coming through the academy and smart signings of players like Hugo, Son, Kulu, Bentancur and Romero (who are at the top end of the market, but not priced accordingly) before the rest of game realise how good they are.

We had to have a manager that they would respect, which I admit is a mental weakness of some of them, the way they let Nuno down was disgraceful.

Conte was overwhelmingly the best option at the time.
Fully agree
But he inherited a better side at Juve and took a few windows at least at inter

He has no competition and has lost the defence IMO
There isn’t the confidence in him that there was before

which is odd, as he looked fine at the wc, with a bunch of dodgy defenders in front of him

I thought Forster was possibly a smart signing, but he was garbage last week

ok
That wasn’t clear to me
But the system was fine last season with these players. We haven’t really lost any

Kulu is the difference, its like having Eriksen back in the side.
He's someone on the same page as harry, intelligent, confident, willing to make runs, he allows harry to play.
Only two criticisms of Kane at the moment, he is protecting son and he really needs to stop taking free kicks.

which is odd, as he looked fine at the wc, with a bunch of dodgy defenders in front of him

I thought Forster was possibly a smart signing, but he was garbage last week
Forster was fine last week
Didn’t have a hope with either goal imo
Certainly no worse than Hugo has been for us this season
And I’m not saying he is the answer by the way, but Hugo is the captain too don’t forget

He's someone on the same page as harry, intelligent, confident, willing to make runs, he allows harry to play.
Only two criticisms of Kane at the moment, he is protecting son and he really needs to stop taking free kicks.
Agree on all of this
Kulu will IMO also help son

Kulusevski really is that good. Makes the others around him better too.

We can make do without another player at his level, I don't think we can sign an option for that role at his level. But we're desperate for someone that can at least offer similar traits for that role when Kulusevski isn't playing.

League performance is the only real metric to judge a manager on afaic - with cups there is too much riding on the luck of the draw or one off fixtures that can come at a time you're in a bad spot. I don't hold the Forest game against him and won't do if we get lnocked out v Portsmouth.

I'll judge his performance against the length of his contract - he had huge credit in the bank after last seasons turnaround but if we continue to regress on the pitch this season and end up out of Europe altogeher come the end of it then no amount of 'this team needs multiple windows (that i haven't agreed to oversee)' will save him from critisism for taking us backwards.

Forster was fine last week
Didn’t have a hope with either goal imo
Certainly no worse than Hugo has been for us this season
And I’m not saying he is the answer by the way, but Hugo is the captain too don’t forget

I thought he could have done better with both, seemed to lazily waft at the pair of them. Only saw them once though.

Back