• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Would (do) those brands have much resonance with the US market though? (Genuine question. I sense not, but might be wrong).

Maybe not specifically those brands, but certainly can’t rule out whole industries. I’m from Australia and live in Japan, so can’t immediately think of any brands that would cross the Atlantic well, but I’m sure there’s some outside of sport.

I don’t agree that FedEx or Audi, or similar brands, wouldn’t work. Cash Convertors, sure, that doesn’t suit at all. But you only need to look at the Emirates and Etihad for examples of traditional non-sports brands doing well. And no coincidence both are premium brands in their field.

Arent both backed by nation states (oil fed) trying to get global profile to support them once the oil dries up?

Im not sure that essentially doped enterprises are a great example.

(unless, of course, I have completely misunderstood what they are about)

I think we all get the issue of negative brands, whether it's gambling, dodgy operators like Brighthouse or Cash Convertors, fly-by-night VC-pumped tech B2B, or pikey B2C like Panda Pops. We'd all see the disadvantage of tying the Spurs brand to a bunch of bastards.

Your point is really interesting because Brits - or, at least, brand-literate, forum-posting, middle-aged ones - don't tend to see any mega-brand as casting a halo effect. Say Nike to one of us, and we will say "sweatshop". Mention EA and we will talk about better, more obscure sports sims. Apple? We'll fulminate about walled gardens and designed-in obsolescence. But the rest of the world doesn't have the same cynicism reflex, and in a global brand marketplace I think you're going to be absolutely right.
Walob.

Arent both backed by nation states (oil fed) trying to get global profile to support them once the oil dries up?

Im not sure that essentially doped enterprises are a great example.

(unless, of course, I have completely misunderstood what they are about)

I mean more from the perspective of it being a successful investment for those companies, and presumably Arsenal / Emirates Marketing Project. To have the stadium you’re sponsoring being called “The Emirates” is just about as good as you could hope for.

I think we all get the issue of negative brands, whether it's gambling, dodgy operators like Brighthouse or Cash Convertors, fly-by-night VC-pumped tech B2B, or pikey B2C like Panda Pops. We'd all see the disadvantage of tying the Spurs brand to a bunch of bastards.

Your point is really interesting because Brits - or, at least, brand-literate, forum-posting, middle-aged ones - don't tend to see any mega-brand as casting a halo effect. Say Nike to one of us, and we will say "sweatshop". Mention EA and we will talk about better, more obscure sports sims. Apple? We'll fulminate about walled gardens and designed-in obsolescence. But the rest of the world doesn't have the same cynicism reflex, and in a global brand marketplace I think you're going to be absolutely right.

I was not trying to emphasis the brand being negative, I just plucked that from thin air. Aldi, Spar, Dave Second Hand Cars whatever would not fit the mix on what we are trying to achieve long term, could be anything.

And what good has it done Arsenal?

Ill ignore City as the whole connection is paying for everything!

Have Arsenal really benefited aside from money? (which as alluded to earlier was low at the time)

Compared to, say, having Nike as a sponsor - getting truly global consumer coverage?

I don’t agree that FedEx or Audi, or similar brands, wouldn’t work. Cash Convertors, sure, that doesn’t suit at all. But you only need to look at the Emirates and Etihad for examples of traditional non-sports brands doing well. And no coincidence both are premium brands in their field.

Etihad did not have the impact he set out to have at Chelsea and was dropped and was only reiforced once Emirates Marketing Project and the owners created a platform for the brand with their spending which elevated it. Emirates was an established brand to some extent especially seeing as EMirates had a set plan to invest in Sports and had done for years, which they still roll out now.

Also those brands are used strategically. Emirates Marketing Project and Etihad was a deal struck as owners and sponsors as the UK - UAE route from Manchester is some what of a central hub and Abu Dhabi wanted to use the club to promote that and raise their profile in a hub city. Thats why they also pop up as sponsors in other cities in which they serve.

Have Arsenal really benefited aside from money? (which as alluded to earlier was low at the time)

NO and it is regarded widely that Arsenal got their pants pulled down because in a market that moves so much they could have earned more money if they had signed a 5 year deal originally with Emirates as the sponsorship value went up at that time, yet they were tied in for 10 years. Ultimately Arsenal devalued their product for a long term deal....at the time

And what good has it done Arsenal?

Ill ignore City as the whole connection is paying for everything!

Compared to, say, having Nike as a sponsor - getting truly global consumer coverage?

I read a really good article on the mistakes that Arsenal made with their naming rights deals. I can't remember for the life of me where I read it but I'll try to track it down.

I read a really good article on the mistakes that Arsenal made with their naming rights deals. I can't remember for the life of me where I read it but I'll try to track it down.

Not in a "ha ha look at Arsenal" way, but I am convinced we have learned a lot from their development.

The Emirates and The Olympic Stadium are the two most recent major stadium builds, to my memory (Wembley too?) and I think we will have absolutely assessed everything about these projects to determine what went well, what didnt, and what we can do to better them.

This stadium is so exciting because, IMO, its the first that isnt "Generic multi-story car park with a pitch in the middle" but actually a destination in and of itself. Its flipping the whole notion of what it is to go to a game. No longer get there - get in - watch game - get out and go home.

Everything else has been built around that kind of mentality.

if its originally "WHL MKII" then

I was just thinking how "STADIUM TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR" reminded me of "STADIUM MK" and then you mentioned "WHL MKII" !

4b81700a-52a8-4bfd-9ab6-20177978759b
II

Trying to think of sponsors old and new...
BT Cellnet
Friends Provident
BetFred
Football365
SportsDirect

Walkers
Etihad
Emirates
Erm...

Etihad did not have the impact he set out to have at Chelsea and was dropped and was only reiforced once Emirates Marketing Project and the owners created a platform for the brand with their spending which elevated it. Emirates was an established brand to some extent especially seeing as EMirates had a set plan to invest in Sports and had done for years, which they still roll out now.

Also those brands are used strategically. Emirates Marketing Project and Etihad was a deal struck as owners and sponsors as the UK - UAE route from Manchester is some what of a central hub and Abu Dhabi wanted to use the club to promote that and raise their profile in a hub city. Thats why they also pop up as sponsors in other cities in which they serve.

I got the impression you were ruling out anything other than a sporting brand. That’s why I posted what I did.

Back