• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

So, the emerging consensus on TFC, Skyscrapercity and a few others seems to be that we aren't going to fully finish the stadium until November/December - but that it will be sufficiently finished to allow us to host games in September/host the NFL game in October.

Bare bones style, I mean - construction ongoing on the cladding, fancy bits and wiring while the turnstiles are open and the crowd control rooms/broadcasting gantries are operational. And, of course, the playing surface will be ready, as will the changing rooms.

Does that sound accurate to the folks involved in construction here?

I'd heard that it was going to be very difficult to do that and that making the site safe for fans whilst continuing the build would considerably slow things down.

I'd heard that it was going to be very difficult to do that and that making the site safe for fans whilst continuing the build would considerably slow things down.

Depends. It might mean opening at 3/4 capacity, while Park Lane is finished off. So it could be a fully-functioning 3 stand stadium, with one end a building site. A bit like happened with Paxton in the mid-90s, or even the set-up at the last season at Old WHL.

The official position is that the stadium is more or less on schedule but that timing is tight. It makes sense to keep options open and make provision for alternatives, just in case.

I think we can rule out the Nov/Dec doom-sayer scenarios. The club wouldn't have scheduled the first of the NFL series for October, when it was possible to take a later date, if there was serious doubt. The only question is when it will be available for the opening games in August or September. The first few PL games can be scheduled away, but the opening CL game might not be so flexible. So any Wembley talk might be about the CL group games.

The official position is that the stadium is more or less on schedule but that timing is tight. It makes sense to keep options open and make provision for alternatives, just in case.

I think we can rule out the Nov/Dec doom-sayer scenarios. The club wouldn't have scheduled the first of the NFL series for October, when it was possible to take a later date, if there was serious doubt. The only question is when it will be available for the opening games in August or September. The first few PL games can be scheduled away, but the opening CL game might not be so flexible. So any Wembley talk might be about the CL group games.

I can't see that being the case, not after the adverts being posted about NWHL being the only place in London to watch CL football next season.
That would be a real faux pas.

Good point. I did say "might" and actually deleted a "but I doubt it" from the end. The difference with the CL games is that the tickets haven't been sold and that we might not have control over if the first game is at home.

Overall, I think the club is just keeping options open as long as possible. It doesn't cost anything, apart from giving reporters an easy story.

Good point. I did say "might" and actually deleted a "but I doubt it" from the end. The difference with the CL games is that the tickets haven't been sold and that we might not have control over if the first game is at home.

Overall, I think the club is just keeping options open as long as possible. It doesn't cost anything, apart from giving reporters an easy story.
That’s my take on it, we’re looking at contingency plans (as we ought to be), but the press are reporting it as if it’s an unexpected problem.

I could be completely wrong of course, I have zero inside knowledge on the build, but just looking at the current advanced state of the build I find it hard to believe we are another 6 months away from completion, especially when you see the progress that was made in the last 6 months(check the webcams from 1st Dec 2017)!

Depends. It might mean opening at 3/4 capacity, while Park Lane is finished off. So it could be a fully-functioning 3 stand stadium, with one end a building site. A bit like happened with Paxton in the mid-90s, or even the set-up at the last season at Old WHL.

I was told that it was a similar situation to when we played European games at Wembley in 2016/17. Decommissioning and recommissioning the site for every game to make it safe for the public would be complicated and have an impact on delivery timescales.

I was talking to someone involved in one part of the build. He'd told me that they were late on site. I didn't put a huge amount of weight on it at the time because I did not know how this fitted in with the rest of the build.

Yes, I think your last sentence is about right. Until we have that safety certificate, we can't assume anything, so need to have other options in place.

There's no way that PR bomb would be allowed to go off.
Opening our cutting-edge stadium with one end still shut off for builders in front of the world's TV cameras.
The opening is an all or nothing event, it's there to show that we are a club of magnitude and resource that deserves to be viewed as part of the top tier. You don't do that with a load of hard hats and high-viz in the background of the ceremony.

There's no way that PR bomb would be allowed to go off.
Opening our cutting-edge stadium with one end still shut off for builders in front of the world's TV cameras.
The opening is an all or nothing event, it's there to show that we are a club of magnitude and resource that deserves to be viewed as part of the top tier. You don't do that with a load of hard hats and high-viz in the background of the ceremony.

We could replicate the legendary Highbury wall from 1992 - where they had boarding up, with fans' faces painted on

Highbury-e1314024965461.jpg

First CL game is at 18th of September, after the international break, so shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah like that's gonna happen :rolleyes:

So we open the new ground and politely tell the 17.5K STHs who've purchased in the South Stand "Unfortunately you'll have to wait until 2019/20 to take up your seats. However your purchase monies for 2018/19 will be credited against future seasons i.e. 50% towards 2019/20 and 50% towards 2020/21. Thankyou for continued support (albeit from The Billy Nich)".

Yeah like that's gonna happen :rolleyes:

So we open the new ground and politely tell the 17.5K STHs who've purchased in the South Stand "Unfortunately you'll have to wait until 2019/20 to take up your seats. However your purchase monies for 2018/19 will be credited against future seasons i.e. 50% towards 2019/20 and 50% towards 2020/21. Thankyou for continued support (albeit from The Billy Nich)".

62k capacity. 42k season tickets. You just put people in different seats and cut all other tickets/away quota for that short period.

It's a much better option than another year of renting Wembley, while the shinny new stadium gets mothballed (and we pay tax and maintenance on it)

So, the emerging consensus on TFC, Skyscrapercity and a few others seems to be that we aren't going to fully finish the stadium until November/December - but that it will be sufficiently finished to allow us to host games in September/host the NFL game in October.

Bare bones style, I mean - construction ongoing on the cladding, fancy bits and wiring while the turnstiles are open and the crowd control rooms/broadcasting gantries are operational. And, of course, the playing surface will be ready, as will the changing rooms.

Does that sound accurate to the folks involved in construction here?

It’s possible but unlikely
I used to be one of the heads of procurement at Tesco when we had the biggest build programme in the world
You could go to a site one week and it would be a shell, next week have some infrasructure and services and you think this ain’t opening... the poor m and e guys that worked for me would be screaming blue murder as they couldn’t do their job...
And then two week later it’s open

Anything is possible with effort and planning

Come on this is Daniel Levy territory......I would be disappointed if it didn't go to the wire and we finish right on the deadline;)

Back