• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

I would take the word of the National populate. They are finding it very hard as it is there would be overseas franchises, no way on planet earth they give up a superbowl. No Way.. If you did a poll on something like Rotoworld MB I bet the answer would be 90%+ against.. hell do one on NFL UK I bet it would be 75% against.

Yeah. The National populate, whatever that might be, doesn't make the league's decisions. I know, outrageous thing to say. The owners make the calls.

This issue has already been addressed and it's not a matter of if, but when and where. La Canfora is as close to the heart of the NFL as any source. He worked for them for many years. He is basically an approved outlet for league opinion.

Sure, there will be polarization of public opinion. It's part and parcel of life in America, but the owners know that the money they will generate by growing this sport abroad will drown out all the barking of nay-sayers. Baseball, the great American past-time, has seen the World Series played on foreign soil and won, twice, by a non-American franchise. Life went on.

It's all about money, not nationalism.

Last edited:

Not in a month of Sundays will a Super Bowl happen in London. No chance. There are too many cities in the US that want it, need it. The pro Bowl... maybe!

would rather they play cricket at the stadium then american football just as fcuking boring as a sport but would be in summer so would not affect the pitch.

i would have thought there would be some kind of second pitch involved if we were to share with an NFL team

Not in a month of Sundays will a Super Bowl happen in London. No chance. There are too many cities in the US that want it, need it. The pro Bowl... maybe!

There's a month of Sundays every four years - the next one is this July. No one gets any work done during a World Cup.:)

Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, has stated often that the league wants to go international. He also says the Super Bowl needs to get into new venues. For decades, it was mainly played within a rotation of America's warm-weather Hedonism capitals - Miami, NOrleans, and Los Angeles. Not one of those cities is in the mix going forward. LA has no suitable stadium, Miami and NO's stadiums are seen as inadequate. Sure, NO got the game in 2013, but that was a pity fcuk to boost the hurricane-ravaged city.

It's been played in some of the newer stadiums in smaller cities, like Phoenix, Indianapolis or Jacksonville, but no one thought it was a screaming success off the field, which is a big part of the event. Phoenix(great stadium) gets it back for 2015, then it's in SanFran's new Levis Stadium followed by Houston in 2017. After that, it's wide open.

There's no point us arguing about it because it won't be clear where it will be awarded for a while yet. And London still has to acquire a franchise. But if the event was never going to leave America, the NFL wouldn't hesitate to state that clearly. There's some very chauvinistic American politicians and sports journalists who have hammered the NFL over this and been rebuffed.

The NFL knows what massive amounts of money and publicity they would generate by taking the Super Bowl international. Pro or con, it would get people excited. Wembley has already proved to be a willing and accommodating host venue. The FA wouldn't mind some of that money and publicity either.

There's a month of Sundays every four years - the next one is this July. No one gets any work done during a World Cup.:)

Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, has stated often that the league wants to go international. He also says the Super Bowl needs to get into new venues. For decades, it was mainly played within a rotation of America's warm-weather Hedonism capitals - Miami, NOrleans, and Los Angeles. Not one of those cities is in the mix going forward. LA has no suitable stadium, Miami and NO's stadiums are seen as inadequate. Sure, NO got the game in 2013, but that was a pity fcuk to boost the hurricane-ravaged city.

It's been played in some of the newer stadiums in smaller cities, like Phoenix, Indianapolis or Jacksonville, but no one thought it was a screaming success off the field, which is a big part of the event. Phoenix(great stadium) gets it back for 2015, then it's in SanFran's new Levis Stadium followed by Houston in 2017. After that, it's wide open.

There's no point us arguing about it because it won't be clear where it will be awarded for a while yet. And London still has to acquire a franchise. But if the event was never going to leave America, the NFL wouldn't hesitate to state that clearly. There's some very chauvinistic American politicians and sports journalists who have hammered the NFL over this and been rebuffed.

The NFL knows what massive amounts of money and publicity they would generate by taking the Super Bowl international. Pro or con, it would get people excited. Wembley has already proved to be a willing and accommodating host venue. The FA wouldn't mind some of that money and publicity either.

Miami held it in 2010, whilst as you say NO had it in 2013.. not sure I'd call them inadequate... NO is so inadequate in fact that they are a finalist to host in 2018. (Colts and Vikings other two finalists who no doubt will want to apply further down the line should they be unsuccessful.)

Because New York had it last year you will now see a long line of cold weather teams having it.. Green Bay, Chicago, New England and Seattle will all want a slice of the pie.

Not sure I understand your Arizona thinking either... they held it in 2008.. it was such a bad mistake that they are hosting again in 2015. :-k

As I said, because its been seen as being done outside of mainland US the pro bowl has a chance to come to London, although there has been calls to finish it.

Not arguing btw, discussing is much nicer word.

not on board with the idea then CB?

I was just being flippant :)
I'm not an NFL fan, not sure if I ever will be. I suppose part of me wants Northumberland Park to just be the home ground for THFC, but actually it's not a deal breaker. I can see that, with the way football and stadiums are changing, we need to keep ahead to keep up. If ground sharing of some description is needed, so be it. I'm worried about the pitch but appreciate that there are people on here far more clued up about the impact of that. Also, I can see pitch technology will continue to improve and quite probably within ten years we'll move towards artificial surfaces of some sort.

Build the damn stadium, make sure that there's enough seats so that I can get a ticket once in a while then you can hold croquet there for all I care :)

Some revisions went online for the planning permission yesterday.

Including this image - http://oi60.tinypic.com/2vxmxyb.jpg
Showing where new plans are bigger/higher than the originally approved plans. The stand to the right looks wider than that of the left too (iirc, original plans looked more symmetrical, could be wrong)

... You can see the previous height in to te scale on the right of the image.

Not sure if this is to create more seats/corporate, or just that we're building on foundations higher than planned.

Some revisions went online for the planning permission yesterday.

Including this image - http://oi60.tinypic.com/2vxmxyb.jpg
Showing where new plans are bigger/higher than the originally approved plans. The stand to the right looks wider than that of the left too (iirc, original plans looked more symmetrical, could be wrong)

:ross:The scale of that thing in comparison to the existing buildings on the high road. It's a beast!

so they have just removed the one feature that made the stadium a little iconic, or at least different, and have gone for the indentikit v.2 stadium? disappointing.

they'll probably be stadiums of a new generation planned and built before our 2005 model even gets off the ground.

so they have just removed the one feature that made the stadium a little iconic, or at least different, and have gone for the indentikit v.2 stadium? disappointing.

they'll probably be stadiums of a new generation planned and built before our 2005 model even gets off the ground.

Looks like they've got rid of the kop stand and decided to go with 3 tiers to get more boxes/corporate seats in. Good old Daniel levy never misses a trick.

im only getting the one image from that link?

HJYa6fh.jpg

how are you inferring what the interior will look like from this?

the interior now just looks like a blue Emirates
spurs.jpg

Back