• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

i think a London based NFL 'franchise' would succeed.

there's probably enough over weight 40 year old virgins who still live with their parents to fill the demand for tickets for a full season.

i hear what you're saying chancer but i think the sport has a growing a uk audience, there's a nationwide amateur league that is growing every year and the Wembley games sell out double quick every time they go on sale. i defo think there's a market for a London NFL franchise and i think if we were to get in with the first people to give it a go then we'd probably do pretty well out of it financially. not a fan of the sport myself, but i think the novelty/uniqueness of being linked with a London NFL outfit is quite appealing, for some reason

Was that an attempt at comedy!?

Spurs have been working hard to build our exposure in the US. That is why i was doubly surprised Bale was sold as Bale was the poster boy of Spurs in the US and I can only think that Levy felt they really had no choice but to sell this summer.

But anyway, the focus of our recent marketing has been the US and increasing ties with American sports and the American market. We have a US tour planned this summer, I think this all ties in and there have been rumours of massive investment coming from AEG into the club for the last couple of summers now.

I even remember Alan Brazil coming out on Talksport the summer Redknapp left and AVB was appointed that the "new direction" the club had wanted to go in was because he had heard that huge investment was being lined up to go into Spurs very shortly and the club wanted to restructure and realign their long-term strategy as a result.

Last summer there were rumours that Lewis had agreed to loan the club £50m for pure investment in players (which obviously got made redundant by the Bale sale), but if true maybe that's because he knows we're about to come into a lot of money?

Other signs are Under Armour is a major sporting brand for NFL gear. They have the NFL poster boy Tom Brady as its anchor too. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that Under Armour will be the stadium sponsors should it be duel use with an NFL franchise.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000173566

We will also get a sizeable chunk of change from the NFL in order to supply a franchise to the NFL. Infact it would not surprise me that the NFL would donate a large chunk of the stadium costs should that happen. In the last couple of years I have really got into the NFL and this has taken over from viewing the Spanish League on a Sunday. I have also been reading MBs where a franchise is coming to London is mentioned and have noticed that when Tottenham was mentioned when this first appeared a couple of months ago that many Yanks felt the whole stadium could be subsidised by the NFL.

What will be interesting is how a franchise would survive.

The current wage cap for a team is in the $130m ballpark.

Teams can spend a lot less, but an NFL team would need to generate a sizeable amount for it to work. I don't know how much money is split between the teams but it would need to generate as much money as Tottenham does, but not on 20+ games, but 8.

Then I found this article.. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/12/14/the-nfl-signs-tv-deals-worth-26-billion/

NFL teams will divvy up nearly $7 billion in media money starting in 2014. That is more than $200 million per team every year before one ticket, beer or jersey is sold.

So, one would say that $200m would, should cover the costs of a team every year. The eight games and merchandise is all Gravy.

Looking at these figures, you have to ask.. if you were Levy would you be trying to make it work!. :p

As a rule, the NFL, the league itself, does not contribute one penny to the cost of building a stadium. It has financial mechanisms to loan money, but it normally does not underwrite clubs' stadium builds.

That said, this project is unique for the NFL. Usually, an American municipal government would participate in a stadium project. Apart from the ego boost of having a city promoted via televised games, there are economic benefits and tax returns, although without being completely sure, Dallas Cowboys splashy new ATT Stadium was privately financed by owner Jerry Jones. But, without any real civic contribution in the actual stadium costs, London would represent a new situation that may merit league involvement. Maybe a whip-round of the hat to the individual owners to help open a new frontier that will ultimately repay them.

In reply to 7percent: the NFL seasons starts in August and runs into December. Then the playoffs start which go on until sometime in January. If a team makes the post season they might play more than 8 regular season home games. Home field advantage depends how they did during the season; the better you did during the season the more post season games you get to play at home. The maximum number of post season game (I think) would be four:wild card, division, conference and then super bowl. The super bowl site is set before thevseason starts I think.

Also NFL games are mostly played on Sundays (so as not to clash with college gridiron football). Though they do play Monday night and Thursday night games well.

All these dates are approximate. I am an American, but I really hate gridiron football.

Thanks for taking the time to answer that, Alaric.

My next question is, theoretically, if 'new whl' was an NFL stadium- it could host the superbowl?

Thanks for taking the time to answer that, Alaric.

My next question is, theoretically, if 'new whl' was an NFL stadium- it could host the superbowl?

A stadium must have a capacity of at least 70,000 seats even to be considered as a Super Bowl venue, I dunno if we could build one that large in the plot of land available and doubt that Spurs could fill that big a venue for all but the most high profile games.

Last edited:

A stadium must have a capacity of at least 70,000 seats even to be considered as a Super Bowl venue, I dunno if we could build one that large in the plot of land available and doubt that Spurs could fill that big a venue for all but the most high profile games.

Don't know if it's possible but if the stadium could be made so that it can be increased to 70,000 seats temporarily? I think the superbowl would pay for itself..? the amount of exposure bringing a superbowl to tottenham would give us..

Not in a month of Sundays would the Superbowl be held outside the US. Hard enough getting it in New York let alone in Tottenham.

The Union Jags, name/pun may be rather defunct come September depending on the Scottish referendum result,

Just saying like.. ;)

Sillynanniestadium.png

Not in a month of Sundays would the Superbowl be held outside the US. Hard enough getting it in New York let alone in Tottenham.

Have a goggle at the work of Jason La Canfora, would you. Well connected, long established, former NFL Network correspondent, now plying his trade for CBS Sports.

He says different. I'll take his word over your opinion any day of the millennium.

The NFL wants Toronto - fourth biggest market in North America(incl. Mexico City) - and London - no explanation needed - for just this reason. Staging the Super Bowl in either of these cities would be enormously newsworthy and add to the massive hype already surrounding the event. They would also represent, logistically and culturally, the easiest destinations outside the US to hold the event.

Toronto, of course, stills needs to build a NFL-worthy stadium, but if a franchise is located in that city, it will happen. Money is not an issue.

Last edited:

Wouldn't the pitch get destroyed after every game and cut up badly?

Wouldn't the pitch get destroyed after every game and cut up badly?

NFL is not nearly as bad on the pitch as rugby is as there are no mass scrums. And as a lot of the play takes part all over the field instead of concentrated in certain areas like in football it tends not to dig the pitch up. A lot of NFL teams use field turf now which is a plastic but natural look and feel grass. Its only 8 games a season. To have 10 they would have to be one of the best two teams in the NFL. And that does not happen very often. Although they would have two pre-season games. So its likely we are looking at 10games more often than not. Maybe 11 in a good season.

I think when we had the London Monarchs play at White Hart Lane they did not destroy the pitch and that was before we had our top groundsman.

Have a goggle at the work of Jason La Canfora, would you. Well connected, long established, former NFL Network correspondent, now plying his trade for CBS Sports.

He says different. I'll take his word over your opinion any day of the millennium.

The NFL wants Toronto - fourth biggest market in North America(incl. Mexico City) - and London - no explanation needed - for just this reason. Staging the Super Bowl in either of these cities would be enormously newsworthy and add to the massive hype already surrounding the event. They would also represent, logistically and culturally, the easiest destinations outside the US to hold the event.

Toronto, of course, stills needs to build a NFL-worthy stadium, but if a franchise is located in that city, it will happen. Money is not an issue.

I would take the word of the National populate. They are finding it very hard as it is there would be overseas franchises, no way on planet earth they give up a superbowl. No Way.. If you did a poll on something like Rotoworld MB I bet the answer would be 90%+ against.. hell do one on NFL UK I bet it would be 75% against.

NFL is not nearly as bad on the pitch as rugby is as there are no mass scrums. And as a lot of the play takes part all over the field instead of concentrated in certain areas like in football it tends not to dig the pitch up. A lot of NFL teams use field turf now which is a plastic but natural look and feel grass. Its only 8 games a season. To have 10 they would have to be one of the best two teams in the NFL. And that does not happen very often. Although they would have two pre-season games. So its likely we are looking at 10games more often than not. Maybe 11 in a good season.

I think when we had the London Monarchs play at White Hart Lane they did not destroy the pitch and that was before we had our top groundsman.

They will bring in the pitch IMO for every game. It will be placed above the Tottenham pitch which is lowered / sunken into the ground.

It's actually the opposite - rugby is played all over the pitch, whereas an NFL game always sets back to the middle for the start of each play creating a lot of wear on a strip down the middle.

Since the Monarchs were at WHL we've installed a desso surface. It was the same problem for Wembley when the first competitive NFL games came over around 2007 and 2008. Now Wembley also has desso playing surface.

If the NFL was to come to the new WHL then the stadium would have to feature a sliding grass pitch (as per last year's speculation) that would move away to reveal an artificial NFL surface underneath. Otherwise it will not be possible to keep the playing surface in the right condition and deal with gallons of paint going on and off every other week.

Was that an attempt at comedy!?

Looks like we've got an NFL fan here :ross:

Only joking mate but having had the misfortune of being in central london on the day of a NFL game at Wembely there's a definite trend for those types following the sport overe here ;)

Looks like we've got an NFL fan here :ross:

Only joking mate but having had the misfortune of being in central london on the day of a NFL game at Wembely there's a definite trend for those types following the sport overe here ;)

I think that's the yanks.

there's probably enough over weight 40 year old virgins who still live with their parents to fill the demand for tickets for a full season.

actually i think that describes a fair chunk of football fans these days as well. Beer guzzling 40 year old neanderthals who like to swear and be sweaty/

Back