• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

This is all entirely hypothetical. We might as well be discussing what our stadium options and red lines would be if Levy entertained a serious offer to convert NWHL into a roller disco.

Why?
TA has not yet signed a new contract and Levy will NOT let him run it down. So not at all hypothetical also Mou has the company cheque book in his back pocket and desperately needs a proper defender.

Very plausible.

I agree but we will never get more money for him than we will this summer.

One of the next interesting challenges for Poch is how he refreshes and renews the team. Most managers never manage to build more than one successful team at a club. When we choose to let players go will be really interesting.

He's lucky that it will be gradual, because our squad is so young.

Dembele will obviously be first, be his decline is nicely dovetailing into the emergence of Winks and Onomah

Rose probably won't play at the top past 30, because of the physicality that is so intrinsic to his game. But Davies is already overtaking him and I guess that's the logic of looking at Sessegnon now too.

Verts and Alder have maybe got 3-4 or so years left being CBs; Lloris at least that too.

If all goes well though we won't need a big overhaul, of the scale Ferguson had to do a couple of times, for another 7-8 years when our c.23-25 years olds get past it.

Why?
TA has not yet signed a new contract and Levy will NOT let him run it down. So not at all hypothetical also Mou has the company cheque book in his back pocket and desperately needs a proper defender.

Very plausible.

We - and her Majesty's press - wouldn't be talking about this, though, if it wasn't for the injury and recovery and game time issue, which is likely unrelated to the contract situation, and otherwise might be simply a factor delaying a resolution and announcement.

One of the next interesting challenges for Poch is how he refreshes and renews the team. Most managers never manage to build more than one successful team at a club. When we choose to let players go will be really interesting.

Well that happens naturally, Toby was not Toby we know at the start, he developed into that and thats where I think Sanchez is now and by the time Jans time is up Sanchez will be established and we replace him. I think we are ok at that

We - and her Majesty's press - wouldn't be talking about this, though, if it wasn't for the injury and recovery and game time issue, which is likely unrelated to the contract situation, and otherwise might be simply a factor delaying a resolution and announcement.

Forget all the press title tattle, I'm talking money, contracts and timing.

1 Levy will not let any player run their contract down
2 Levy will maximize the value of any want away player.
3 Toby has a £25m bye out which kicks-in in 10 months.

forget all the gossip!
Levy will get it sorted one way or another. We all know that AND sooner than later.

Forget all the press title tattle, I'm talking money, contracts and timing.

1 Levy will not let any player run their contract down
2 Levy will maximize the value of any want away player.
3 Toby has a £25m bye out which kicks-in in 10 months.

forget all the gossip!
Levy will get it sorted one way or another. We all know that AND sooner than later.

The issue is whether 2) has any bearing on the situation. If we subtract newspaper nonsense, it's not that relevant. 1) and 3) on their own just point to a new contract.

Well that happens naturally, Toby was not Toby we know at the start, he developed into that and thats where I think Sanchez is now and by the time Jans time is up Sanchez will be established and we replace him. I think we are ok at that

We are but there is still a question about the optimum time to replace a player. Whether we like it or not, we sell to buy. At some point we will want to sell our aging players and replace them. Timing that is difficult and most managers cannot do it.

I think we'd be crazy to let him go to a PL rival. That would be 2 players gone to rivals 2 summers in a row.

Using VVD as the barometer, I think that the fair price for 30 year-old Toby is £50m. I would rather keep him for another year with us and sacrifice the £25m (to sell a year later) for stability and a chance to compete for another year.

We are but there is still a question about the optimum time to replace a player. Whether we like it or not, we sell to buy. At some point we will want to sell our aging players and replace them. Timing that is difficult and most managers cannot do it.

Well you would say once Dembele goes to pasture Wanyama and Dier step up and you bring in a younger heir to the throne. In an ideal world Jan goes, Toby steps up and Sanchez assumes Tobys role and we blood in another.

The million $ question is will Toby stay haha

The issue is whether 2) has any bearing on the situation. If we subtract newspaper nonsense, it's not that relevant. 1) and 3) on their own just point to a new contract.

Wages at United would be telephone numbers compared to our offerings.

Best scenario for Toby and us is new contract signed BDQ. Levy will not negotiate for much longer...tic tic........
But these negotiations are more protracted than than brexit ;)

And this is exactly why i wish Poch would've played it differently with that journo! His response has sparked a story that, whilst it may not have any merit, now has the media talking about Toby's contract rather than his fitness. This in turn sparks further rumours of interest from other clubs, which then can begin to turn a players head.

Of course i realise that between the actual player, his agent, THFC and other clubs' representatives they're probably all used to this kind of trollop and can weed out the truth in any rumours. But it certainly doesn't help settle matters, i'm sure of that!!

Thought exactly the same. Poch's comments yesterday were perfect in the way he explained why TA wasn't in Turin today (i.e. gradually easing back into things). Would have been good had he made those comments on Sat, rather than the response he gave to that other journalist, and irrespective of whether the journo was a cretin or not

To loose him to a PL rival would be very hard to take but at 29 he is not going to get too many more bites at the cherry. A short contract at spurs with significantly boosted wages for a few years, and then abroad for a low transfer but big wages would be a good compromise for both parties.

Back