• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Poch probably should have told the journo that he and Toby had just finished making sweet love and eaten an organic strawberry tart they had made together and that Toby needed to be eased in, not hurriedly rammed into the tunnel of battle.

Gooner ITKs going big on them signing him in the summer
tenor.gif

Gooner ITKs going big on them signing him in the summer

Anyone looking to sign him is going to have to pay at least match what Liverpool paid for VVD. He'll be 29 by then, so it could be our last chance to cash in on him. I can't see us selling to them though.

Anyone looking to sign him is going to have to pay at least match what Liverpool paid for VVD. He'll be 29 by then, so it could be our last chance to cash in on him. I can't see us selling to them though.

But his contract expires next summer, if he does not sign a new contract then he gets to walk for free. If we take out the 12 option then it activates a £25m buyout clause

Toby had a nice run out against Newport but it was not challenging and he looked like he was playing within himself, he needs more game time against better opponents before he's ready for big games, an other game at Rochdale and a league game will probably have him ready.

I agree about Newport not being enough to qualify him as 'match fit' but I wouldn't allow him anywhere near the sandpit that is Rochdale's ground. That sort of surface could re aggravate his injury or cause another one.

But his contract expires next summer, if he does not sign a new contract then he gets to walk for free. If we take out the 12 option then it activates a £25m buyout clause

So the worst case scenario is that we sell him for a lot this summer or double what we paid for him (but way under market value) a year later.

I agree about Newport not being enough to qualify him as 'match fit' but I wouldn't allow him anywhere near the sandpit that is Rochdale's ground. That sort of surface could re aggravate his injury or cause another one.

That's a very good point, I suppose with matches running out I was hoping he'd get enough playing time to be ready for both the finals.

There is no way, absolutely no way, that Levy allows him to go to Arsenal after what happened with C*ntball in 2001. As much as Levy loves a deal, I’d imagine he’d sell Toby to anyone else for a much lower price than do business with that lot.

Even if Levy did consider the idea of selling to them, why would TA go there? He's one of the best CB's in the world and could probably play for any club he wanted to. Plus he could get a brickload more money from at least 5 other clubs in Europe.

I don't read too much into this story as he's just returned from a long term injury but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about his future. He hasn't made the right noises about wanting to stay unless I have missed this. Sometimes the press get it right and where there is smoke there is fire, but actions speak louder than words and Toby could quash any rumours if he wanted to. Then again, he's negotiating a new contract so I wouldn't blame him for being cagey. He should be one of our top earners along with Kane, simple as that.

When Verts went down, Wimmer came in and played very well next to Toby. Yet as soon as he was fit, Verts was back in. Verts and Toby were our clear starters.

Now with Sanchez the situation is not so clear. Making a record signing for a young CB when we already had Toby and Verts, with Dier able to slot in, was a bit surprising. It could be that it was mainly the desire to play three at the back, and Sanchez was starting regularly much earlier than I would have expected, but it could also be seen as insurance. Long term planning is about keeping options open and creating alternatives. It's certainly plausible that Toby's contract situation was one factor. As just mentioned Toby could play for the elite clubs and if that is his desire there is not much we can do other than make the best of his time here and develop his successor.

With Toby coming back from injury there were two choices. Drop Sanchez or revert to the back three, despite how well the CB pairing has being playing. So in addition to risking a rusty Toby and his recovery, we would have risked a change of formation or upsetting a young player who is the future.

I'm sure Toby understands this, despite his disappointment about not playing, but this is probably not going to be a major factor in his decision. He will will want to play because of the world cup so it is in everyones interests that he returns to the team when fully fit.

Back