• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

What a player deserves comes into it all the time we want to keep players happy and motivated.

I would assume any player putting pen to paper on a contract would be happy with what they have agreed- otherwise they wouldnt be signing the deal. What one player thinks he deserves and is happy to sign on for is different to what the next player will be happy with - there's no structure in place that says a starting XI player should be earning X/Y or Z - it's purely down to negotiations and which side has the better hand/plays their hand better.

And why should Poch satisfy the whims of the journalists, may I ask? They are knob heads and want and try to destabilize the squad. End of.

But by your thinking, surely his answer has done exactly that – he's given the journo a chance to destabilise the squad!! By working an answer along the lines of my original post, citing his fitness or his recovery from a long spell out, surely that is the firm statement to the press that there's no more to see here. Move on. Next question.
??

Alder is in a funny situation with his contract.

Normally if there's going to be a group of extensions, the first of the bunch often get the worse deal, because the others use knowledge of that one as leverage in their negotiations. That was the thing that annoyed Walker and Rose - they were first and ended up on less than most of the others (their agent's fault also).

However this year is different, because the rumoured drop in tv revenue means that this next few weeks before the new settlement gets announced might end up being the finale for eye-watering new contracts.

So deciding to stick or twist over the course of just the next few weeks could make a big difference to him

But by your thinking, surely his answer has done exactly that – he's given the journo a chance to destabilise the squad!! By working an answer along the lines of my original post, citing his fitness or his recovery from a long spell out, surely that is the firm statement to the press that there's no more to see here. Move on. Next question.
??

I wonder if a language nuance meant that Poch thought - from the outset - that the journalist was really questioning his (Poch's) decision-making and team selection in a match that we'd won.
Rather than specifically enquiring about the player.
Which I can understand would get his back up.

Reactions: DTA
I wonder if a language nuance meant that Poch thought - from the outset - that the journalist was really questioning his (Poch's) decision-making and team selection in a match that we'd won.

Part of me thought that, he seemed apologetic half way through

Reactions: DTA
??

You've got to keep the hacks on their toes and weed out the agendaed ones. A mate of mine interviews Chris Wilder every week and has told me how the new 'trying to make their name' type get brutally schooled by him

I don't doubt that. The journo def didn't phrase his question with much thought that's for sure. If he'd have done his homework or knew anything about our line up this season he'd know that Sanchez has tended to play even if Toby is fit, so why he brought him into the matter as a point of debate was beyond me. The moment he said "Sanchez over Toby" i've no doubt it would've got Poch's back up a little.
The question should've simply just enquired as to why Toby wasn't in the squad having played 90mins against Newport. Then he might've got a proper answer.
No need to bring Sanchez into it. There's no language nuances to consider for me, it just wasn't a very well thought through question.

It's entirely possible that it was some crappy red-top journo who asks the same sort of gossip-mongering question every time. Poch probably recognises him by now, would probably have been pretty frustrated after a match that Arsenal should have drawn at the death despite getting absolutely hammered, so just didn't have the time for that sort of question.

I hope.

More from today's press conference:

17:29
More on Toby
We’re sorry for him to miss massive games like Arsenal and the Champions League. I understand and we are frustrated too. Of course it’s a very important game but we need to apply our common sense about how he is used in the first few weeks after training. Competing is different. We were lucky to have Newport. All going well he will be available for Rochdale and we will assess day by day.

17:26
More on Toby
You know how we work. After three and a half months he suffered a massive injury. From day one we created a plan to help him. We worked with the medical area and sports science. He’s 28, it was a massive injury and we cannot put in risk his career.

17:35
More on Alderweireld
We had a nice conversation after the Liverpool game. The player last season was working hard to play in the Champions League. It’s normal to have the excitement to play. They always feel fit to play but it’s up to us and the medical stuff to make the decision. Then if something wrong happens the responsibility is us. With this type of injury you have to be careful. Look at this type of injury. Different type of players have had had a setback, like Barkley. Football is about taking risks, but not if we feel he is ready to compete with the demand of this type of game, and Arsenal and Liverpool.

Can Sky Sports News now go and f**k themselves please?

Hmm, bit bold of the Standard and Collomose to go in with the 'the relationship between Poch and Toby is strained' line, particularly as you would expect them to have a decent relationship with the club and I'd expect them to usually be well sourced.

Maybe it's a similar thing to what Danny Rose said. Obviously fuming to be left out of the squad but that's to be expected - when he's back up to full fitness he'd be back in. It's not a Walker situation, as even Walker was on the bench last season when it became clear he was off in the summer. Poch is not about to start excluding Toby from the squad in early Feb.

Plus, I'm betting a bunch of players have already agreed new contracts, to be announced in the summer. Poch's confident 'just trust Levy' presser a few weeks back when this question was asked leads me to believe a lot of this has already been agreed. Not worried about Toby at all.

We all know Poch only reacted the way he did to give the good folk at GG some talking points between matches.

ygqVx.gif

My guess would be that although Toby declared himself fully fit, Poch thinks otherwise and as was the case with Danny Rose, Poch is insisting on further fitness work.
Toby being a driven professional is itching to get back and play in the PL and is disappointed/unhappy at not even making the bench. I wouldn't expect anything less.
Poch may well be making a point - i.e. I decide who plays and when. Hence reacting strongly in the press conference (which he could probably have dealt with differently).
Toby will do the necessary, get back into the team and in a couple of weeks we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Followed by announcement of a new contract in early March. Maybe.
#optimisticmonday.

I agree with 80%. The contract? Not so much.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

On what basis? We have survived without him since November - and thrived. Beat some of the best clubs in the land and in Europe.

Would we have done likewise without Kane or Eriksen? THOSE should be the top earners with Lloris, Dele, Dembele and - of course - Vertongen in close succession. Speaking of which - why should he have a higher salary than Verts, who IMHO has been superior this season?

I agree re: Toby.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

More from today's press conference:

17:29
More on Toby
We’re sorry for him to miss massive games like Arsenal and the Champions League. I understand and we are frustrated too. Of course it’s a very important game but we need to apply our common sense about how he is used in the first few weeks after training. Competing is different. We were lucky to have Newport. All going well he will be available for Rochdale and we will assess day by day.

17:26
More on Toby
You know how we work. After three and a half months he suffered a massive injury. From day one we created a plan to help him. We worked with the medical area and sports science. He’s 28, it was a massive injury and we cannot put in risk his career.

17:35
More on Alderweireld
We had a nice conversation after the Liverpool game. The player last season was working hard to play in the Champions League. It’s normal to have the excitement to play. They always feel fit to play but it’s up to us and the medical stuff to make the decision. Then if something wrong happens the responsibility is us. With this type of injury you have to be careful. Look at this type of injury. Different type of players have had had a setback, like Barkley. Football is about taking risks, but not if we feel he is ready to compete with the demand of this type of game, and Arsenal and Liverpool.

Can Sky Sports News now go and f**k themselves please?

Reassuring

Back