• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

We wouldn't have suffered as much in his absence as we do, if we had Victor fit to shield the defence and if Dembele was at his very best. Also missing Walker and having to accommodate a new, young centre back (who has arguably slipped in very well) in a new formation has contributed to our poor defensive form, IMO. There's just too much reshuffling for us not to suffer with the current squad.

Don't get me wrong, I think Toby is one of our very best and most important players, and one any team would miss dearly - and I also think the new formation works very well when we have the neccessary players available - but there are many facts to consider when judging our poor (defensive) form. Toby's injury being one of them, and an important one too, although personally I think we miss Victor just as much.

Hopefully we'll have Victor back soon, and hopefully Toby's injury will heal well before April, because we'll need both if we want to compete for fourth and further CL progression.

We wouldn't have suffered as much in his absence as we do, if we had Victor fit to shield the defence and if Dembele was at his very best. Also missing Walker and having to accommodate a new, young centre back (who has arguably slipped in very well) in a new formation has contributed to our poor defensive form, IMO. There's just too much reshuffling for us not to suffer with the current squad.

Don't get me wrong, I think Toby is one of our very best and most important players, and one any team would miss dearly - and I also think the new formation works very well when we have the neccessary players available - but there are many facts to consider when judging our poor (defensive) form. Toby's injury being one of them, and an important one too, although personally I think we miss Victor just as much.

Hopefully we'll have Victor back soon, and hopefully Toby's injury will heal well before April, because we'll need both if we want to compete for fourth and further CL progression.

Victor has disappeared though

I'm exaggerating for dramatic effect, but if he's out until April, we are going to be pretty goddamn sh*te given that we've acquired the habit of starting one or two goals down every game. Our defenders have not been impressive in his absence - not Verts, not Dier, not Davies/Trippier or Aurier/Rose. Sanchez has, but then, y'know, we won't have him for the next three games, either. All the rest of them have been pretty complicit in giving up goals every game, and it's deeply f*cking dismaying that they are so reliant on Toby to give them a collective goddamn brain between them.

You must be kidding.

Two worldies from Leicester, not much any defence in the world could've done about them.

Poor from the whole team at a set piece against Watford.

Alli completely at fault against WBA.

Arsenal I might give you, but again I felt that was an entire squad capitulation, rather than the defence.

I think you're largely talking absolute gonad*s, you can't single out the defenders on their own for every goal we concede.

Verts and Dier will do the job, I trust them both and then you never know, it might be time to enter the Foyth? He looks a great prospect to me.

At the moment I'm more concerned about our lack of creativity and our inability to be clinical in front of goal than our defence.

You must be kidding.

Verts and Dier will do the job, I trust them both and then you never know, it might be time to enter the Foyth? He looks a great prospect to me.

If we give Foyth a go against Stoke he will get absolutely terrorised by Crouch.
3-metre-Peter is a wiley old fox who knows all too well how to get leverage on his man, and Foyth doesn't have the height or build (as yet) from what i can see.
Shakiri is also in good form and will no doubt put our dallying defence under pressure.

I can't see the Stoke game being pretty in any way, shape or form.

I really like Maguire, was disappointed we couldnt get him as well.

Never mind, Johnny Evans seems to be the current hot defender in the market :eek:

Maguire plays on the left side of a 2/3?

But like the lad big time.......megabucks now IWHT.

An "Evans" is what is required.....but Serge :eek: will probably go into center in the short term with Dier and Yan?

Maguire plays on the left side of a 2/3?

But like the lad big time.......megabucks now IWHT.

An "Evans" is what is required.....but Serge :eek: will probably go into center in the short term with Dier and Yan?

Davies rather than Aurier, I'd guess. Or more likely Foyth?

Absolutely not what is required! I meant he seems to be the latest hot name when clubs are linked with defenders. In the summer there was big money offered on him :confused:

As Robbo says, Id imagine Davies - Vertonghen - Dier if we continue with a back three.

Its possible Foyth will be given a shot, but I suspect its a bit too soon for him.

Absolutely not what is required! I meant he seems to be the latest hot name when clubs are linked with defenders. In the summer there was big money offered on him :confused:

As Robbo says, Id imagine Davies - Vertonghen - Dier if we continue with a back three.

Its possible Foyth will be given a shot, but I suspect its a bit too soon for him.

NOT the Johney E! but cheap stand in. But Davies example looks favorite....
Davies rather than Aurier, I'd guess. Or more likely Foyth?

Good point.......I breath a sigh of relief!

Foyth......is on the famous or should that be infamous Pochettino 'bulk up and acclimatise course, only then he is sold for peanuts to Swansea.....or the like!

You must be kidding.

Two worldies from Leicester, not much any defence in the world could've done about them.

Poor from the whole team at a set piece against Watford.

Alli completely at fault against WBA.

Arsenal I might give you, but again I felt that was an entire squad capitulation, rather than the defence.

I think you're largely talking absolute gonads, you can't single out the defenders on their own for every goal we concede.

At the moment I'm more concerned about our lack of creativity and our inability to be clinical in front of goal than our defence.

I don't want to put Foyth under that much pressure. Hell, I don't want to place any expectations on Sanchez, despite his impressive start - every player needs time to settle in, time without judgement. And, sadly, I don't think Dier and Verts are quite up to the job sans Toby - at least, without Wanyama there to make up for their errors. It's the same sort of reliance we had on King - you wouldn't say Daws, Woodgate, Gallas, Kaboul and co. were *bad* central defenders, but they just weren't as good without Ledley - not by half.

As for the lack of creativity and inability to be clinical, I could easily turn around say that our forwards constantly rushing back to cover for a cheap giveaway by our defense or a counter-attack caused by bad positioning probably tires them out a lot, which leads to them being unfocused and lacking sharpness when they get into the box. It's a team game, after all.

From todays pressie:

Could Toby Alderweireld be out for 14 weeks more?

He is going to take a scan next week and we are going to see next week what happens. When he was injured I think our medical staff… 14 weeks more? (Press officer: "There's nothing to suggest he needs surgery.")

We saw this morning he is working. 14 weeks? It is not true. I think it is misinterpreted or something. What I am sure is it will not take 14 weeks more. After that I am not sure what people say.

http://www.football.london/tottenha...o-alderweireld-wanyama-nkoudou-press-13997133

The way I interpreted the original scan statement was, that rather than just say he was healed and send him out, we would scan him before clearing him to play as a precaution.

Back