• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Who's to say that Janssen cannot be the Kane back-up having had more time with us.
And for Toby, CCV.

If we cant to do better in the CL next year, we need a better level of back-up. CCV has achieved nothing as yet so its too much to expect him to play that role - we need a 3rd CB who isn't far from TA and Vert's standard.

Regarding Janssen, to me its not about settling - his style of play (back to goal, hold-up man) isn't remotely similar to Kane's and doesn't suit the team. You can't change someone's style of play that drastically - Janssen will do well at a team where they're under the cosh and net someone to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure on a defence. That isnt often us

If we cant to do better in the CL next year, we need a better level of back-up. CCV has achieved nothing as yet so its too much to expect him to play that role - we need a 3rd CB who isn't far from TA and Vert's standard.

Regarding Janssen, to me its not about settling - his style of play (back to goal, hold-up man) isn't remotely similar to Kane's and doesn't suit the team. You can't change someone's style of play that drastically - Janssen will do well at a team where they're under the cosh and net someone to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure on a defence. That isnt often us

I'll say again about Jansenn, the way you describe him here is NOT how he played last season at all. Last season he was getting the all played in front of him and scoring plenty from it

I can't fathom out why he is playing different for us unless it's a team tactic. But it's a nice skill to have

I'm not buying this about Janssen. Poch knew what he was getting and will have a plan on how to utilise him. I think we can all agree that is the case.
It follows (for me) that I don't believe Poch sanctions transfers in that don't absolutely fit his vision of what the team needs.

I'm not buying this about Janssen. Poch knew what he was getting and will have a plan on how to utilise him. I think we can all agree that is the case.
It follows (for me) that I don't believe Poch sanctions transfers in that don't absolutely fit his vision of what the team needs.

Maybe Poch made a mistake? Everyone does. Maybe he thought that Janssen's style would work with us? No idea. Janssen has played enough though to judge him on this season rather than last season (different club and league) - I wouldn't mind if he was getting chances but missing them, as long as the way he played seemed to work with the team. His style just doesnt appear to be what we need I think he's half-decent and works hard, but at the wrong club. Hopefully he'll succeed but there's very little to suggest so far that he will

Maybe Poch made a mistake? Everyone does. Maybe he thought that Janssen's style would work with us? No idea. Janssen has played enough though to judge him on this season rather than last season (different club and league) - I wouldn't mind if he was getting chances but missing them, as long as the way he played seemed to work with the team. His style just doesnt appear to be what we need I think he's half-decent and works hard, but at the wrong club. Hopefully he'll succeed but there's very little to suggest so far that he will

Time will probably tell, but I can't imagine he's going anywhere unless a big offer comes in summer.
I do find it difficult to judge him so far this season, playing for a different club in a different league to that which he is accustomed. It just seems way too early to write him off.

I just remembered this is the Toby thread. I'll stop before milo comes with his big stick.

But Janssen has played in front of a misfiring midfield, in tge same way that Harry did yesterday, and Harry never got a sniff. The problem isn't necessarily Janssen, it might be but it's to early to tell.

But Janssen has played in front of a misfiring midfield, in tge same way that Harry did yesterday, and Harry never got a sniff. The problem isn't necessarily Janssen, it might be but it's to early to tell.
Has Janssen ever played a pass leading to a goal (what 'the kids' call an assist) like Kane did yesterday? When Kane has a misfiring midfield he plays better than VJ.

Has Janssen ever played a pass leading to a goal (what 'the kids' call an assist) like Kane did yesterday? When Kane has a misfiring midfield he plays better than VJ.
Not that I can remember. But I could counter that with if he's passing to a low confidence miss firing midfielder who squandered the chance then it's unfair to use that stats against him. Dele for instance has missed some real sitters early this season.
As I said he could be duff, he could be decent but it's to early to tell.

@SpursStatMan
Toby Alderweireld has committed just 13 fouls in 4625 minutes of PL football for Tottenham - equivalent to a foul once every four games.

Not too much of a surprise that three of those in the top ten are Tottenham, clearly a carefully worked-out ploy on the training ground to draw out teams that sit back as discussed elsewhere.

So yeah, Tottenham, a long-ball team, ha-ha-ha.o_O

I liked Michael Dawson. He was an honest wholehearted player but Alderweireld is really on a different planet ability wise, including raking 50 yard cross field passes.
Agreed. Daws was the 'old spurs', Alder is the 'new spurs'. Long Live The New Spurs!!!!!!!

Back