• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Upward mobility *where*? This is a shibboleth, and a meaningless one at that. We have built an expensive stadium, but apparently want to follow to a tee Arsenal's model of post-stadium operations, which has gotten them three FA Cups and nought else in 12 years post-stadium. Indeed, they've even fallen out of their Champions League spot.

Your time scale holds that being like Arsenal now will lead to success in 3-5 years - they have been at it for *twelve years*, and have seen precious little to justify it. And note, they started from a higher base than we did - we have won nothing whatsoever for ten years, and have not won the FA Cup for 27 years. To believe that this 'long-term' plan will bear results different to Arsenal's while seemingly following the same methods is foolhardy.

We will have success, if we act differently and learn from the past. Doing this...selling our best players to our direct rivals while getting nothing of value in return...will be doing what Arsenal did. And it is likely at the least that it will have the same results.

You can’t just use Arsenal as a reason for our own strategy being wrong. I would say a lot of their success, and a lot of their stagnation in equal measure came down to Wenger. He was first the reason for immense success, then he was the reason for important preservation of the status quo as they moved into the new stadium, and then he was the reason they moved backwards, because the game evolved, his approach got tired and they didn’t move him on quickly enough.

It’s really nothing to do with us. Them selling RVP is our equivalent of selling Kane. That isn’t what is happening. Poch is one reason we are overachieving, and Levy is another reason, providing the platform to enable that to happen.

I have to ask you what the alternative is? Is it keeping players that don’t want to be here and can’t be convinced otherwise, like Walker? Fine - what is your answer when that affects the standards and culture of the club? (And please don’t write it off like it’s nothing). Is it to keep players that have disrespected the leading authority figure at the club, when his authority is one of the reasons we have done so well? Fine - what is your answer when other players do it, again affecting the standards and harmony? Is it to spend more money, making higher bids earlier in the window? Fine - what is your answer when another Willian situation happens? Or is it to loosen the wage budget so we don’t have these problems at all? Fine - what is your answer when we maybe have a fantastic initial season and then run into financial problems, where we can’t flex the budget anymore or can’t move on older players to bring in replacements, because their wages are prohibitive and we can’t sell them for good fees - setting us on a downward cycle? Or - when we start having massive discrepancies in what players are earning - again affecting harmony and standards?

I can sense you’re going to come back on the financial point with ‘a little bit more here and there isn’t going to turn us into Leeds’ and on the harmony point with ‘keeping a player and rejecting a bid isn’t going to turn the whole squad into riotous rebels’ but again I say to you, these two things are why we have been able to consistently improve. We had consistently been able to do more with finances because we expand each time from a solid base. And standards have been raised at the club and need to be maintained - it’s why we have been so consistent.

I fully believe if we could spend more but still maintain the same upward long term trajectory, we would. But Arsenal is nothing to do with us. It was a story about Wenger and his approach being the reason for success and the reason for our failure. I don’t think they had a plan to pull the club up another level - I think they simply wanted to trust Arsene to eventually get them back there until it became clear he wasn’t going to be able to do it. The difference with us is, it looks like we have a plan, it looks like everything is thought through, it looks like we have a long term strategy in place. And whether you agree with the decisions or not, they at the very least are consistent with other decisions that have taken place before, as part of our upward curve. That suggests we are on the right path.

Re Toby, I accepted that he was gone months ago. But I'd only do this deal with United if we get Martial in return. Otherwise, I'd be happy to keep him for another year and roll the dice next summer.

If Toby goes (which looks likely) and we sign this guy De Ligt from Ajax, is anyone else not slightly concerened that we only have essentially 1 CB with more than a year's PL experience? Don't get me wrong I like Sanchez and think he should improve but he's only 22 and is far from a sure thing. If Vertonghen gets injured we are well and truly fudged in terms of putting out CB's with long term experience. I think we need an experienced CB to replace Toby, not sure an unproven 18 year old is the answer.

I agree but its a concern, but poch didnt use Toby last year when available, so he doesnt see him as part of the plans.

i cant think of a single experienced PL defender we would both want and could get? We would be looking at Cahill, Jones, Smalling types in that situation.

Very strange comment given how United finished above us last season and took care of us with relative ease in the FA cup semi final. They were never in any danger of conceding against us after they took the lead.

Chelsea have a history of doing very well and winning titles whenever they bring in a new manager, see Mourinho, Ancelotti and Conte.

Arsenal I will give you but even they should be stronger this season plus the toxic atmosphere from the final days of Wenger will be gone.

We didn’t turn up in the semi granted, but we did get the game won before throwing it away, I’ve forgotten last seasons league table, my perception is that we were comfortably better than them though (not to say the numbers agree with me), we certainly tore them to shreds at Wembley. I’ll be very surprised if they finish ahead of us this season.

You are right about Chelsea, but that was when they used to spend money.

I would also say the reason the narrative around Toby is ‘we don’t need him anyway’ even though he’s clearly decided to leave too, is because we have proved we can deal without him. Leaving him out for months on end was a powerful tool - it shows the squad what standards of behaviour and performance are expected and it also proves to them what they can do without him.

If it was a player we left out, and the results tanked, then yes, the narrative would be different and we would need to spend well / big on a quality replacement and it should be regarded as a sad loss. But Toby and Walker are not those players. They were already replaced and again, it’s part of good strategy and planning.

Thats the issue i have with the LevyOut / EnicOut phalanx that have got very noisy this week.

When they came in we were a mid-table team that flirted with relegation, we are the only club that have got into the top tier of club football without the financial doping. So unless the complaint is i want to be brought by a billionaire who throws money about then i don't see the hatred.

They aren't asset stripping the club, we have had a general curve upwards. It feels like the criticism is from fans from abroad that don't see the stadium or modern football lot who scream at wanting a 100mil striker, but then sing "harry kane he is one of our own"

I would also say the reason the narrative around Toby is ‘we don’t need him anyway’ even though he’s clearly decided to leave too, is because we have proved we can deal without him. Leaving him out for months on end was a powerful tool - it shows the squad what standards of behaviour and performance are expected and it also proves to them what they can do without him.

If it was a player we left out, and the results tanked, then yes, the narrative would be different and we would need to spend well / big on a quality replacement and it should be regarded as a sad loss. But Toby and Walker are not those players. They were already replaced and again, it’s part of good strategy and planning.

I love it when we sell players for big money, we get better every time we do it.

I agree but its a concern, but poch didnt use Toby last year when available, so he doesnt see him as part of the plans.

i cant think of a single experienced PL defender we would both want and could get? We would be looking at Cahill, Jones, Smalling types in that situation.

I agree if we're looking at someone in the PL who is as good as Toby and experienced then we would struggle but the fact that we are looking at De Ligt shows are aren't averse to signing a CB from outside the PL. In that case, I'd prefer we signed someone with more experience rather than an 18 year old from Ajax.

We didn’t turn up in the semi granted, but we did get the game won before throwing it away, I’ve forgotten last seasons league table, my perception is that we were comfortably better than them though (not to say the numbers agree with me), we certainly tore them to shreds at Wembley. I’ll be very surprised if they finish ahead of us this season.

You are right about Chelsea, but that was when they used to spend money.

You can't win a game before half time when it's only 1-0 in the first half. That semi final performance was a real gutless performance from us.

That's Man United for you. Even with Fergie they looked average at times but they know how to get results even when playing badly, something we still need to improve on. Perception can be a funny thing. A lot of Spurs fans seem to think we were better than Leicester and deserved to win the league two years ago even though they ended up running away with it whilst we didn't even break the 80 point barrier. All that matters is how many points you end up with.

I'd say us and United are at similar levels tbh. I'd give them the slight edge as they have Mourinho. I know he's a massive clam and I don't like or agree with his philosopy or concept of football but there must be a reason why he wins big games and trophies more often than not (yes money is a factor) whilst we tend to fall short.

You can't win a game before half time when it's only 1-0 in the first half. That semi final performance was a real gutless performance from us.

That's Man United for you. Even with Fergie they looked average at times but they know how to get results even when playing badly, something we still need to improve on. Perception can be a funny thing. A lot of Spurs fans seem to think we were better than Leicester and deserved to win the league two years ago even though they ended up running away with it whilst we didn't even break the 80 point barrier. All that matters is how many points you end up with.

I'd say us and United are at similar levels tbh. I'd give them the slight edge as they have Mourinho. I know he's a massive clam and I don't like or agree with his philosopy or concept of football but there must be a reason why he wins big games and trophies more often than not (yes money is a factor) whilst we tend to fall short.

It was just a Mourinho style game. They didn’t pepper our goal either but once they got ahead they were content to sit on it - they do that well but our failure was in not making more of our first half. Not really sure it tells us anything more than the Wembley game where we battered them. We can definitely finish ahead of them this year.

So have we definitely sold Toby then? It's a shame, but Poch moved on months ago it seems, playing the back 4 and having Sanchez and Vertonghen as first choice, even when Toby came back fit again.

Hopefully, we can put the funds into a player Poch wants (Zaha?)

Jings. Must have mis-struck a key. Thought I was going to read about the adventures of Toby Alderweireld, not a set of windy rambles on the state of management at Spurs and other (unfortunate) clubs.

I'll let myself out.

You can’t just use Arsenal as a reason for our own strategy being wrong. I would say a lot of their success, and a lot of their stagnation in equal measure came down to Wenger. He was first the reason for immense success, then he was the reason for important preservation of the status quo as they moved into the new stadium, and then he was the reason they moved backwards, because the game evolved, his approach got tired and they didn’t move him on quickly enough.

It’s really nothing to do with us. Them selling RVP is our equivalent of selling Kane. That isn’t what is happening. Poch is one reason we are overachieving, and Levy is another reason, providing the platform to enable that to happen.

So, you want proof that you're as full of bluster and ill-thought out opinions as you accuse others of being? Fine.

Why?

You've been proclaiming that what I've been saying has been ill-thought out and 'bluster'. But, in this case, can you not see that you've done exactly the same?

So, why? Arsenal's strategy is the same as ours right now - in fact, they probably started out on more solid foundations than we did. For all his faults, Wenger wasn't averse to spending money to ensure success - he spent big on any number of players, ranging from Henry to Lauren, Wiltord, Jeffers, Van Brockhorst and Reyes. He also created a style of play that persisted in its effectiveness right down to 2014-ish, when it finally started coming apart - for all the laughs about Arsenal's trophyless era, that 'Wengerball' approach was clinically, almost unstoppably effective when it did come off, and I challenge anyone to tell me that they weren't worried when Arsenal made the CL final in '06, or when they came within four points of the title in 07/08.

What that style of play did require to ensure success was ready-made, world-class players, capable of playing in that concentrated style. And that was what he could not acquire, simply because the finances weren't there. Additionally, what players he did develop or turn into gems were sold off to rival clubs in the same league, which weakened Arsenal and strengthened Arsenal's rivals at the same time.

This wasn't Wenger's choice - he's said it multiple times, and nothing he's done since he's had money to spend has convinced me that he was actually some Levy-esque penny-pincher all along. He's gone out and bought Sanchez, Ozil, Aubameyang, Xhaka, Mustafi and so on for big fees and big wages.

Wenger was constrained by the stadium, which is why he didn't spend money while his style was still effective. And it was, all the way up to about 2013-2014 when the pressing game finally came into fashion. But he was also constrained by losing his best players to his rivals in the same league, which doomed his attempts to keep them as the precedent set meant that they all expected domestic moves when their turns came.

That is why their story is a *perfect* comparison to our own - we need to learn from the mistakes they made during this process. And their mistakes didn't include 'keeping Wenger' - as I mentioned, this idea that he stopped being an effective manager is only true from 2014 onwards. Prior to that, he was as relevant as anyone else in the league.

But their mistakes *did* include selling to their rivals without making them bleed in return. Which we are poised to follow with Toby. So, in that sense, it is doing exactly what they did. And, with regard to selling RVP being like selling Kane, apart from the positional similarity, there's really nothing in that comparison, imo. But selling RVP and selling Toby? There are similarities there, including the contract situation, the buyer and the marker that it set in terms of signalling to every club in the league exactly what Arsenal were.

I have to ask you what the alternative is? Is it keeping players that don’t want to be here and can’t be convinced otherwise, like Walker? Fine - what is your answer when that affects the standards and culture of the club? (And please don’t write it off like it’s nothing). Is it to keep players that have disrespected the leading authority figure at the club, when his authority is one of the reasons we have done so well? Fine - what is your answer when other players do it, again affecting the standards and harmony? Is it to spend more money, making higher bids earlier in the window? Fine - what is your answer when another Willian situation happens? Or is it to loosen the wage budget so we don’t have these problems at all? Fine - what is your answer when we maybe have a fantastic initial season and then run into financial problems, where we can’t flex the budget anymore or can’t move on older players to bring in replacements, because their wages are prohibitive and we can’t sell them for good fees - setting us on a downward cycle? Or - when we start having massive discrepancies in what players are earning - again affecting harmony and standards?

The alternative is to sell outside the league, or to impress upon the player that it's either being sold outside the league, being sold within the league but on terms that favor us (i.e, we get Martial for Toby) or staying at Spurs.

As for Walker, what's there to say? He was sold, wasn't adequately replaced, and we suffered a lowered performance for it. Nobody can really dispute that, not even the most ardent Trippier fans. Meanwhile, Walker sauntered to the title and racked up 100 points with the most dominant City team in their history. What did we do *right* there?

That was a mistake too. But in that case, Walker had personal connections with the north that limited our options. In this case, I find it extremely hard to believe that Toby would value Manchester over Paris, Munich, Madrid or Barcelona.

As for the 'standards and culture of the club', honestly, that's just not likely, imo. I'm sure Modric permanently tarnished the 'standards and culture of the club' when he ended up being our best player after his move to Chelsea was denied. Did Dier end up being a sulky so-and-so when his move to United was dismissed out of hand? No, because he knuckled down and had a good season.

At its heart, not many clubs will want a 25m, disruptive 30-year-old player who's spent a year and a half in the stands. Players have a personal incentive to avoid that sort of image (given how it impacts on their own likelihood of being transferred), and there's nothing to suggest that Toby will be happy making that mistake if we do end up keeping him.

And do bear in mind, that's only in the event that we don't sell him *at all*. Once the English window closes, there are three weeks to sell him somewhere else in Europe, and Toby may well find that Paris et al. are suddenly more attractive than Manchester.

Same thing when it comes to 'disrespecting the leading authority at the club', like it's a fudging high-school cheerleading team and everything runs on gossip and innuendo. He's a professional. Poch is a professional. The solution to 'disrespecting the leading authority at the club', is to *respect* the leading authority at the club - to make up and train as hard as possible, and to rebuild bridges. This idea that any player that disrespects Poch has to be instantly sold is just f*cking counterproductive, because it *encourages* players who want moves to be disruptive. Want a move? Great, just betray Poch and he'll immediately bench you, which will lead to you being transferred in the next window. Hell, save yourself the wait and do it while the window's open.

There is a food chain, it's how we are able to buy players as well as the reason we have to sell them. If you want to change that, we need a Emirates Marketing Project type owner to take over the club. Otherwise, we have to make our moves within the food chain and hope that we outsmart the richer clubs.

Re: spending money, it seems like an endlessly cyclical argument to me. 'we need to be as prudent as we are or we'll run into financial problems', and 'being as prudent as we are will allow us to spend money when we need it.' But when someone suggests spending that money, it goes back to statement 1 - 'we need to be as prudent as we are or we'll run into financial problems'. So the point of being prudent is ostensibly to become low-budget Arsenal - rising to become a regular challenger for the Top Four, and no more. Because going beyond that would entail spending money, and of course we'll do a Leeds if that catastrophe were ever to occur (an argument you've amusingly pre-empted me by stating, I might add).

We are approaching the point at which the club will have to choose what they want to be. And making the wrong choice - well, it's a fool who has a clear example in front of him (Arsenal) and chooses to do the same thing again.

I fully believe if we could spend more but still maintain the same upward long term trajectory, we would. But Arsenal is nothing to do with us. It was a story about Wenger and his approach being the reason for success and the reason for our failure. I don’t think they had a plan to pull the club up another level - I think they simply wanted to trust Arsene to eventually get them back there until it became clear he wasn’t going to be able to do it. The difference with us is, it looks like we have a plan, it looks like everything is thought through, it looks like we have a long term strategy in place. And whether you agree with the decisions or not, they at the very least are consistent with other decisions that have taken place before, as part of our upward curve. That suggests we are on the right path.

Again, Arsenal's directors were every bit as smart as the one we have - maybe more so, given David Dein's tenure at the club. And Wenger was no fool, or some outdated crank - he stayed relevant until about the time that Poch's generation of Premier League coaches arrived.

They had a plan. But they made the wrong choices, and we are emulating them. What is the point in having an apparent 'plan' that is apparently 'thought through', if we do the same things they did? It is rare to have such directly relevant examples of past failures to learn from in football. But we have one, and we seem happy to do the same thing - only with a belief that we'll succeed where they failed, despite doing the exact same thing.

We have to do things differently. Selling Toby without getting Martial in return will not be doing things differently. Far from it.

There is a food chain, it's how we are able to buy players as well as the reason we have to sell them. If you want to change that, we need a Emirates Marketing Project type owner to take over the club. Otherwise, we have to make our moves within the food chain and hope that we outsmart the richer clubs.

We don't have to accept that United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are above us in that chain. And we didn't, at least for the last decade. Otherwise, Bale and Modric would be at United and Chelsea, not at Madrid.

But we now seem to want to go back to accepting that.

We don't have to accept that United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are above us in that chain. And we didn't, at least for the last decade. Otherwise, Bale and Modric would be at United and Chelsea, not at Madrid.

But we now seem to want to go back to accepting that.

I think if another big club came in with the money, we'd sell Toby to them. But if Utd are the only game in town, then we take 60 or 70mil now (and use that on other transfers) or he goes where he likes in a years time for £25m. The other clubs who can afford it probably don't want to spend 60-70m on a 29 year old centre-half coming off an injury hit season. Utd have more money than sense though.

I think if another big club came in with the money, we'd sell Toby to them. But if Utd are the only game in town, then we take 60 or 70mil now (and use that on other transfers) or he goes where he likes in a years time for £25m. The other clubs who can afford it probably don't want to spend 60-70m on a 29 year old centre-half coming off an injury hit season. Utd have more money than sense though.

So, lower the price until one of the other clubs is interested.

We did that for Bale, for Christ's sake - United offered us more than Madrid did, and we told them to get stuffed.

What difference will the extra 20m or so make if we use it to sign Grealish, anyway?

Back