• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

At the time it was good money, goes to show just how fast the market has got this fudged up.

And, honestly, if he got his head down and played well this season I would prefer to keep him and lose him next summer for £25m than sell him now for £50m

I can’t make a call on that until I knew Toby attitude and demeanour close up.
From where we sit we can’t call this imho.
I wonder what if any the buyout clauses are on Harry ect.
They may not exist in the epl so much, I thought it was Liberian based clause.

Heheh these lengthy 'conversations' always turn up when we're getting close to the transfer window closing :D
I think you're wrong.

You've used the word "these" which, as I'm sure you know, is the plural form of the word "this." But there's only this one conversation. It's the same one, it happens every year. It may move around threads, sometimes if we're really lucky the protagonists tag out and allow others to argue their case for a month.

But what it comes down to is one conversation. Again, and again and again.

Manchester United have called Tottenham's bluff over Toby Alderweireld transfer

Man Utd transfer news could include a fourth signing this week and it could be a triumphant transfer after what Tottenham tried with Toby Alderweireld.

There is that scene in Moneyball where the Oakland Athletics' scouts are sat around with their coffee and doughnuts, mulling over who to recruit ahead of the new year. Brad Pitt's despairing Billy Beane is compelled to interject.

"The problem we're trying to solve is that there are rich teams and there are poor teams. Then there's 50 feet of c**p. And then there's us. It's an unfair game."

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy makes the Moneyball method look as exorbitant as Paris Saint-Germain's spending and Spurs are the Premier League's Oakland A's; success-starved and, as Beane put it, gutted. They have finished the last three seasons in third, second and third again but not signed a single player this summer. Their manager demanded Spurs be 'brave' in the market. Ironically, Tottenham were one of the misguided clubs who voted in favour of an early window closure.

"Am I relaxed? No, I'm not relaxed," Mauricio Pochettino lamented. He is maybe more pessimistic ahead of deadline day than Jose Mourinho, whose stance on a fourth Manchester United signing was upgraded from 'possible' in Ann Arbor to 'confident' in Miami. That player is suspected to be Spurs' Toby Alderweireld.

Should United succeed in signing a player from Tottenham for the first time since Dimitar Berbatov 10 years ago, they will have exposed Levy's small-time shortcomings again. In 2008, Spurs sweat it out until United briefly broke the British record for £30.75million Berbatov on deadline day (beaten later that night by Robinho) and all they got in return were Roman Pavlyuchenko and Frazier Campbell. Spurs did not win any of their first eight league games.

Levy repeated the mistake with Gareth Bale in 2013 by encouraging United to vainly bid for the Welshman despite him settling on a Real Madrid move at least six months earlier. David Moyes and Ed Woodward naively obliged and submitted an £86m offer. In one of the most protracted deals in recent times, Bale was unveiled at the Bernabeu on deadline day and Spurs' refusal to sanction an earlier sale denied them the funds to sufficiently strengthen. Seven arrived and only Christian Eriksen sufficed. Tottenham finished sixth.

Woodward, familiar with Mourinho's impatience in summer windows, sensibly attempted to negotiate a £55m deal for Alderweireld back in May. Spurs, mindful that it was so early in the window the season had not ended and that Alderweireld's value could increase following a successful World Cup, demanded significantly more. Liverpool central defender Virgil van Dijk's £75m switch in January was a handy barometer of Alderweireld's worth and progress stalled for United.

Spurs mischievously enquired about Anthony Martial, only to be given short shrift by United, and a swap was briefly explored. Tottenham's patient stance on Alderweireld has been utterly undermined by their failure to sign even a Championship forward and, unlike with Bale, the later they have left it with Alderweireld the more his value has decreased.

Alderweireld's £25m release clause is activated next year and that has intensified Levy's desire to cash in. Tottenham are not only struggling at signing but also selling; the MEN reported in May they were prepared to offload Vincent Janssen, Fernando Llorente, Moussa Sissoko and former United target Danny Rose to free up funds for Pochettino. They are all still attached to the club.

Then there is the new stadium cost, which has soared from £400m to just short of a £1bn. Little wonder Victor Wanyama and Mousa Dembele, out of contract in 11 months, have been put on the scrap heap.

United consciously played down their interest in Alderweireld in recent months, so pessimistic were they about a breakthrough with Levy. Only they kept the line of dialogue open with Spurs amid the rampant Harry Maguire speculation and spurious suggestions Serie A-based defenders were their preferred targets.

Last month it emerged United and Spurs were a mere £10m apart on the Alderweireld fee. With deadline day this week, someone is going to yield and United resisted by not pursuing an alternative to Alderweireld. They called Tottenham's bluff.

It's an unfair game.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/toby-alderweireld-man-utd-transfer-14993381

On a side note, anyone know what he's done to supposedly burn all his bridges here?
So the rumour goes:
Contract was offered to Alderweireld, and was a lot lower than he wanted.
Poch got involved, backed Alderweirelds worth, and got Levy to offer much more.
Alderweireld turned that down too.
Poch now feels betrayed/insulted and so Alderweireld has brick the bed as far as he is concerned.

Bare in mind it is a rumour, completely unsubstantiated - but very close to just being accepted as fact as its been repeated so much...

He's just getting his excuses in. We all know that he will not last the season at United. He is just hanging in for the massive payoff.
Quite possible, a bit of both I imagine.
I see the talk of Maguire has ramped up.
Alderweireld or Maguire, which one says "Mourinho" more - IMO the Maguire talk is all bluster to try and put pressure on us.

I agree but its a concern, but poch didnt use Toby last year when available, so he doesnt see him as part of the plans.

i cant think of a single experienced PL defender we would both want and could get? We would be looking at Cahill, Jones, Smalling types in that situation.

I still think, despite the convenient narrative of Poch dropping him to prove a point etc.... that Alderweireld was playing poorly, looking unfit and not ready for the team, and so was legitimately dropped. His early games back he was shocking - Newport made him look bad FFS - it wasnt until his last couple of appearances he looked more like himself.

Can it not be as simple as - wasnt fit = didnt play?

Every player at Burnley is gettable but as much as I admire Mee I think he works there because is part of s well drilled system. He wouldn’t be as good for us as our system is more attacking IMO

Not that Im advocating Mee or anything like that, but I think you can argue that Burnleys strengths are the same as ours - our back line is EXTREMELY well drilled. I think thats why we seem to cope when defenders are out, and I think thats why defenders are the most replaceable players in our side. Maybe Mee would surprise you?

I can’t make a call on that until I knew Toby attitude and demeanour close up.
From where we sit we can’t call this imho.
I wonder what if any the buyout clauses are on Harry ect.
They may not exist in the epl so much, I thought it was Liberian based clause.

Indeed - its a completely fair point - we dont know anything. Its all ifs and buts.

The buyout thing is law in Spain, I believe, so started there - but its gained popularity across europe now. Players like to negotiate them into new deals to offer them a "get out" if they need one down the line (look at Toby!). So its a maybe?

Lol, what a biased piece. It could just as easily be about Man U being stubborn about letting Martial come to us, and losing him a year later for nothing. fudge Man U.

Spectacularly bad, isnt it?

So much untruth in there, its quite hilarious. I was reading it thinking "Where the fudge is this brick coming from" then I saw the link at the end and it all made sense...

I'm surprised Levy agreed to this 25 mill clause. Not like him at all. Looking back at Toby's career and moves it seems he and his agent know exactly what they want and seem to get it

I'm surprised Levy agreed to this 25 mill clause. Not like him at all. Looking back at Toby's career and moves it seems he and his agent know exactly what they want and seem to get it

When he signed it it wasnt bad money at all. Its only the last couple of seasons the market has gone mental.

And, I would think, we were expecting to be able to get him to renew at some point - not anticipating his wage demands/apparent desire to leave.

They're probably/possibly the type of clauses which get negotiated and slow things down and has everyone pulling their hair out as to why we haven't signed players sooner.

Manchester United have called Tottenham's bluff over Toby Alderweireld transfer

Man Utd transfer news could include a fourth signing this week and it could be a triumphant transfer after what Tottenham tried with Toby Alderweireld.

There is that scene in Moneyball where the Oakland Athletics' scouts are sat around with their coffee and doughnuts, mulling over who to recruit ahead of the new year. Brad Pitt's despairing Billy Beane is compelled to interject.

"The problem we're trying to solve is that there are rich teams and there are poor teams. Then there's 50 feet of c**p. And then there's us. It's an unfair game."

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy makes the Moneyball method look as exorbitant as Paris Saint-Germain's spending and Spurs are the Premier League's Oakland A's; success-starved and, as Beane put it, gutted. They have finished the last three seasons in third, second and third again but not signed a single player this summer. Their manager demanded Spurs be 'brave' in the market. Ironically, Tottenham were one of the misguided clubs who voted in favour of an early window closure.

"Am I relaxed? No, I'm not relaxed," Mauricio Pochettino lamented. He is maybe more pessimistic ahead of deadline day than Jose Mourinho, whose stance on a fourth Manchester United signing was upgraded from 'possible' in Ann Arbor to 'confident' in Miami. That player is suspected to be Spurs' Toby Alderweireld.

Should United succeed in signing a player from Tottenham for the first time since Dimitar Berbatov 10 years ago, they will have exposed Levy's small-time shortcomings again. In 2008, Spurs sweat it out until United briefly broke the British record for £30.75million Berbatov on deadline day (beaten later that night by Robinho) and all they got in return were Roman Pavlyuchenko and Frazier Campbell. Spurs did not win any of their first eight league games.

Levy repeated the mistake with Gareth Bale in 2013 by encouraging United to vainly bid for the Welshman despite him settling on a Real Madrid move at least six months earlier. David Moyes and Ed Woodward naively obliged and submitted an £86m offer. In one of the most protracted deals in recent times, Bale was unveiled at the Bernabeu on deadline day and Spurs' refusal to sanction an earlier sale denied them the funds to sufficiently strengthen. Seven arrived and only Christian Eriksen sufficed. Tottenham finished sixth.

Woodward, familiar with Mourinho's impatience in summer windows, sensibly attempted to negotiate a £55m deal for Alderweireld back in May. Spurs, mindful that it was so early in the window the season had not ended and that Alderweireld's value could increase following a successful World Cup, demanded significantly more. Liverpool central defender Virgil van Dijk's £75m switch in January was a handy barometer of Alderweireld's worth and progress stalled for United.

Spurs mischievously enquired about Anthony Martial, only to be given short shrift by United, and a swap was briefly explored. Tottenham's patient stance on Alderweireld has been utterly undermined by their failure to sign even a Championship forward and, unlike with Bale, the later they have left it with Alderweireld the more his value has decreased.

Alderweireld's £25m release clause is activated next year and that has intensified Levy's desire to cash in. Tottenham are not only struggling at signing but also selling; the MEN reported in May they were prepared to offload Vincent Janssen, Fernando Llorente, Moussa Sissoko and former United target Danny Rose to free up funds for Pochettino. They are all still attached to the club.

Then there is the new stadium cost, which has soared from £400m to just short of a £1bn. Little wonder Victor Wanyama and Mousa Dembele, out of contract in 11 months, have been put on the scrap heap.

United consciously played down their interest in Alderweireld in recent months, so pessimistic were they about a breakthrough with Levy. Only they kept the line of dialogue open with Spurs amid the rampant Harry Maguire speculation and spurious suggestions Serie A-based defenders were their preferred targets.

Last month it emerged United and Spurs were a mere £10m apart on the Alderweireld fee. With deadline day this week, someone is going to yield and United resisted by not pursuing an alternative to Alderweireld. They called Tottenham's bluff.

It's an unfair game.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/toby-alderweireld-man-utd-transfer-14993381

Written by a drunk I think

Back