• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I’d be tempted to go back to a three, as good as the Verts/Toby partnership can be it always looked susceptible to pace.

Credit to Toby, he’s obviously worked hard, that performance was a million miles away from what we saw in the cup games 6 weeks ago.

Think I'd go back three too - Son is off the boil and so not commanding a starting place and Lamela could be a vital tactical tool off the bench if either chasing or protecting a lead

Only change to the starting line up today to make a claim for a start at the weekend. Moura was lively but didn’t do enough.

We have to take the pressure off our DMs right now IMO. Either that or play Eriksen deeper and have Moura Alli Son behind Hazza. Or Alli beside Dier and Moura Eriksen Son. Either. Cup match. Let’s get sexy!!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Look comfortable (probably due to the prolonged return/rehab) and were it not for Aurier's brainfart we would have kept a clean sheet. I'd play him against Utd.

Back 3 is very much the wrong way to go against Utd! Means we have Verts, TA and Sanchez marking Lukaku and get outnumbered further forwards. Also means we reduce our goalscoring threat. The two big decisions for Sat which Poch has to make are TA or Sanchez at CB, and Son or Lamela (or Moura) alongside Dele and Eriksen. I'd go with Alderweireld and Son. I think Poch will go with Sanchez and Lamela!

If we went 3 at the back, we could go:

--------------lloris
------toby---sanchez---vert
-trippier------dier--------davies
--------eriksen------dele
---------------lamela
---------------kane

If we went 3 at the back, we could go:

--------------lloris
------toby---sanchez---vert
-trippier------dier--------davies
--------eriksen------dele
---------------lamela
---------------kane

Well I’d swap son for lamela but that’s a team that works for me

Back 3 is very much the wrong way to go against Utd! Means we have Verts, TA and Sanchez marking Lukaku and get outnumbered further forwards. Also means we reduce our goalscoring threat. The two big decisions for Sat which Poch has to make are TA or Sanchez at CB, and Son or Lamela (or Moura) alongside Dele and Eriksen. I'd go with Alderweireld and Son. I think Poch will go with Sanchez and Lamela!
A back 3 really doesn’t work like that mate. The idea that the 3 at the back just stay on the half way line marking no one is ridiculous! Remember some of our biggest wins last season came playing 3 at the back. It gives Jan and Toby acres of space to roam forward in to.

Not suggesting that 3 is definitely the way to go on Sat anyway, after all we destroyed them playing 4 at the back the other month, just that Toby was the only one to make a claim for a start on Sat and you can’t drop Jan or Sanchez. Also you’ve got to think Jose will have a plan for Sat after that demolition, so playing 3 could mess with him.

The three would mostly be split allowing Trips and Davies to play high offering overlap and allowing the AM’s to drift inside, it should give us the overload in the middle rather than the opposition.

He was excellent tonight I think. I'd start him again v Utd.

I’d be tempted to go back to a three, as good as the Verts/Toby partnership can be it always looked susceptible to pace.

Credit to Toby, he’s obviously worked hard, that performance was a million miles away from what we saw in the cup games 6 weeks ago.

He had very very little to do tonight, Id be wary of saying he was "excellent" or indeed promoting him in place of Sanchez straight away.

He did look a lot like his old self, very assured etc, but he really wasnt worked. And even then, it was notable he was dropping very deep very early - against a very slow front line - which made me wonder how "up to speed" he really was.

That being said, I wouldnt be against him in a back 3 at all. It served us well early in the season, and could give us the initiative against Utd...

Back