• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

He falls out with people because he is bringing in new ideas that threaten the established way of thinking. It's absolutely right to get those guys who will give dissent to those ideas out of the club, when the job he has brought in to do is to initiate that change towards the new way. If he wasn't initiating that change and was doing it slower by pandering to the old guard he wouldn't be doing his job properly. Didn't Thatcher say something about there being no point in trying to please everyone because you can never get anything done?

The problem is the owners of the PL love the ideas AVB had, it's just they want him way sooner and it looks like they can be implemented. And then they give up.

Was the disagreements with the medical staff and Baldini over the handling of Lloris' head injury an example of people being threatened by his new ideas? What about the alleged disagreement with Baldini earlier this season about the intensity of training? The argument with Freund over tactics in the Arsenal game that lead to Freund being demoted?

You are so proving yourself wrong, yet again, it is hardly sport any more for me to do so. You ( ie Glorygloryeze) said it was AVB who FIRST played Bale centrally. I showed you it was Harry. Don't you remember all those " Bale, he plays on the left" chants under Harry , by a sizeable section of our support who didn't want him to play centrally.

You have lost the plot with your rose tinted views on AVB. Your statement that we actually played quite well in the 6-0 defeat at City clearly outs you in this respect.

Oh boy. I'm going to have to be really thorough. Here goes....

It starts here in thread Post 8410: by Pirate55 to BOL

Any actual evidence of this? Bale could equally well have said Harry played me in a few games

there and I really like it. I don't like where you have been playing me as I don't get involved enough stuck out on the

left? In this scenario, it was Bale himself who identified his best position as the coach had failed to spot it.

Everything is speculation.

Post 8156: by BOL in reply to Pirate55

??? Bale has credited AVB with helping improve his game. And then it happened. There was no

public challenge to the manager's authority and the whole relationship worked extremely well for both parties. Who did

Bale jump into the arms of when he scored the winner at West Ham?

Post 8162: by Pirate55 in reply to BOL

Bale also credited Harry with improving his game. My point was that it took Bale to go to AVB to

insist he played centrally. AVB didn't recognize this potential until Bale pointed it out to him.

I, Glorygloryeze, notice post 8162, am intrigued and ask for quotes for you to back this up, i.e that Bale was moved to play centrally not because AVB recognised the potential there but because Bale insisted he play there (as i suspect you are just finding more straws to beat AVB with)

Post 8166: by GloryGloryeze to Pirate55

Unless you can back this up with creditable quotes, you're again painting lovely

pictures...:-"

BOL also questions you on this: post 8168 BOL to Pirate55

I think we're really reaching here if we're saying it was all Bale, that he had to bash it into

the oblivious AVB's eyes and that the manager had nothing to do with it. Bale came to AVB, and said he wasn't as involved

in the games as he would like to be. AVB listened (good man management I guess?) and worked with him on his game to the

extent where he became the world's most expensive player. They developed such a strong relationship to the point where

Bale made it fairly freaking obvious how much he respected AVB through his goal celebrations, and his support for him

this season when the rumours were that AVB was done remained.

I don't understand how the Bale situation is being used to make any point. Well done to Bale for caring enough to seize

an opportunity to better himself. Well done to AVB for taking it on board and working with him. It has nothing to do with

Ade, who went to AVB, didn't like the answer he got and then publicly challenged the manager in front of the squad. Last

season loads of players said that AVB's door was always open and that they could talk to him about anything. There's

probably so many instances of discussions that were had that we aren't aware of, that lead to positive contributions on

the pitch.

Pirate55 reply to BOL: post 8173

My point here is that it was Bale that had to go to AVB and initiate this switch, not the other

way round. I haven't said AVB played no part in his development as you infer. The fact is that it was Harry that first

played Bale centrally.

I, Glorygloryeze, again ask you to back up your claim that the change of position for Bale from left to central ONLY HAPPENED BECAUSE BALE HAD TO GO TO AVB AND INITIATE THE SWITCH: Post 8175 to Pirate55

I ask again, WHERE are the quotes for this??

Pirate55, reply to my question: post 8178

Generally accepted, see BOL above.

GloryGloryEze reply; post 8181

So you have no quotes then?

I'll just file it under the "straws Pirate likes to beat AVB with"

Pirate55 reply; Post 8183

File it where you like. That doesn't change a thing.

Do you think it was AVB in his wisdom to first take the decision to play Bale there?

Glorygloryeze reply; Post 8186;

Yes I do. Happy for you to prove me wrong though

NOTE: I was saying it was AVB's decision IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 2012-13 season to move Bale centrally. That it was AVB's decision from a managerial/tactial point of view, NOT based on just doing it because Bale asked him to do so. I wanted you to prove that it was in fact just based on Bale speaking to AVB. Rememeber Bale started on the left of the attack that season. It was IN NO WAY a reference to the previous season under Harry. We were talking about AVB and Bale in the 2012-13 season.

BOL also asked you to clarify, in post 8191:

Where has this thing about Bale come from though? It started off as a thing about Ade

disagreeing with AVB both in private and public, and Bale was brought in to show that another player has had a private

meeting, but it's morphed into another thing AVB should be criticised for? I just don't get how.

For one, Bale didn't publicly question the authority of the manager. For another, Bale's performances under AVB lead to

him becoming the most expensive player ever. The respect Bale had for AVB was obvious. How is AVB in any way getting

criticised for his handling of Bale here? If it's for anything it's an entirely different point to the Ade one, and it

seems to be nothing more than AVB didn't play Bale centrally sooner. Bale's performances centrally under Harry weren't

consistent or anything to right home about in any way like they were under AVB. If Bale knocked on AVB's door, it wasn't

to demand to play central and AVB let it happen and Bale did it all. Bale knocked on his door, thought he could be

getting more involved, and both he and AVB figured out a way to get the best out of it. Bale talked a lot last season

about how AVB's tactical work was helping him a lot.

I really don't see where AVB gets criticised on Bale at all.

You, i.e. Pirate55, then replied in post 8195:

It wasn't AVB at all who first played Bale centrally. It was Harry. Against Norwich away.

Unless you can find me quotes to prove me wrong.

This is where you prove that you've got your own posts mixed up.

We were not talking about Bale under Harry, we were talking about Bale under AVB. Of course Harry had started using Bale in central positions sporadically. No one disputed that.
What YOU were stating is that AVB (who had started Bale on the left at the start of his tenure managing Spurs) only moved Bale centrally after Bale had a word directly with AVB pleading with him to do so. Thereby finding another straw to beat him with: i.e. anything good that happened under AVB was nothing to do with his decision making or management. Instead of backing this up, you started getting yourself twisted and started bringing in the fact that Harry was the first manager to ever move him central; as though either myself or BOL ever said anything to the contrary.

No it was you losing the plot, and it's outlined clearly above. Harry was not being spoken of until you brought him into the conversation.

I bet if not for Millsy-Yiddo's post you wouldn't have any quotes to back your point up.
In fact, actually do you (or Millsy) have a link to any of these articles, because that story is interesting (regardless of how anyone paints it for or against AVB).

Your last point about my rose tinted glasses: I said that the performance in the 6-0 vs City was not as bad as the scoreline suggested; i didn't say it was good. I said it was not 6-0 bad. It was in reply to a post by DTA who watched he game again and felt it was not a 6-0 bad performance. I agreed. Was DTA also wearing rose-tinted glasses?? My point was that compared to other maulings we've taken this season our gameplay was not as bad as the scoreline suggested; just that City were VERY ruthless that day and they exposed our highline ruthlessly. It was the worst final score/result but not the worst performance this season imo.
No rose-tinted glasses at all.

Compare that to your views:

- AVB "broke" Verts forever because he played him at left-back for a while when neccesary; Shall i bother mentioning that he plays left-back for his national team? Is he forever "broken" when he plays for Belgium as well?

- EVERY new signing was "badly managed by AVB";

- AVB left a "broken squad" and "impossible situation" for TS (i thought we were 7th and not bottom with 4 points from 16 games??)

- Winning a scrappy game 1-0 under TS: Great; Winning a scrappy game 1-0 under AVB: Bad.

Yep. Very balanced.

In fact, can I ask you: is there ANY part of AVB's tenure that you will give him POSITIVE credit for? I'll await your reply to this before asking you some TS questions..

Was the disagreements with the medical staff and Baldini over the handling of Lloris' head injury an example of people being threatened by his new ideas? What about the alleged disagreement with Baldini earlier this season about the intensity of training? The argument with Freund over tactics in the Arsenal game that lead to Freund being demoted?

These are all fair questions; what are your sources? Do you have any links?

I agree with this too.

For us with Ade and Ekotto and at Chelsea with Anelka, Alex (wasn't it?) and to some extent Terry and Lampart AVB seemed to wish to remove completely or not play those players he didn't like or didn't get on with..

I think he took it too far personally, a good manager should have the authority to punish a player without having to completely drop him from the team indefinitely.

At the risk of turning the discussion another epoch back to the Redknapp discussions didn't Keane take almost the entire squad to Dublin for a Christmas binge in direct contradiction to what Redknapp had instructed? I'm sure Redknapp wasn't happy, but he didn't just leave Keane out of the team and squad forever. Was that disrespect greater than what Ade did to AVB?

I think there has to be some leniency, some understanding that players make off the pitch mistakes from time to time.

Didn't Harry send Keane out on loan to Celtic the very next transfer window?:-k

From the articles that were floating about at the time;

Andre Villas-Boas received a knock on the door of his office at Tottenham’s new training centre from Gareth Bale at the start of last season.

“He wasn’t happy, he was disillusioned with his role in the team,” said Tottenham’s head coach when he presented Bale with the Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year award in May.

At the meeting, Villas-Boas agreed to give Bale more freedom in the Spurs side,
sparking an exceptional run of form which continued until the end of the season. And on Wednesday that story was being aired in the corridors of power at White Hart Lane, used to illustrate the special relationship between the pair.

To me that probably suggests that Bale came to AVB rather than the other way round..

Nothing more needs to be said. Who knocked on who's door? Who was disillusioned ? Who initiated the change? Who merely agreed to it? QED.

Last edited:

Was disagreeing with a colleague ever deemed a fundamental problem?

Nothing more needs to be said. Who knocked on who's door? Who was disillusioned ? Who initiated the change? Who merely agreed to it? QED.

It was way beyond 'play me in the centre' and 'ok.'

AVB's tactical work was massively helpful to Bale performing well in that role. There's a ton of quotes from Bale on that subject too.

Bentley also didn't get any more chances once he'd dumped the ice-bucket post-Eastlands victory did he? Redknapp was furious!

Indeed! I'm sure Harry effectively sold Bent as well when he publically voiced his displeasure about the "my wife could have scored that" comment.

He sold him the next window. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if for some reason Levy couldn't get rid of him and he remained in the squad in the 2009-10 season :-k

Bentley also didn't get any more chances once he'd dumped the ice-bucket post-Eastlands victory did he? Redknapp was furious!

There is probably a whole list of players that managers including HR have fallen out with and got rid of. The difference with AVB and ADE compared to say HR and Bentley or Keane, is we had no other options to cover the loss of such a player. He was also a very high value player probably the highest paid at Spurs. We couldn't afford the luxury of discarding him. On that basis it was detrimental to the club when we were struggling to score to continue with that policy.

It was way beyond 'play me in the centre' and 'ok.'

AVB's tactical work was massively helpful to Bale performing well in that role. There's a ton of quotes from Bale on that subject too.

I am not disputing that statement. I was asked to provide "proof" of who initiated the conversation and whose idea it was. Someone else ( not you, as you have also previously acknowledged this fact) thinks that it was AVB who came up with this brilliant idea and uses it to underline what a fantastic manager he was. He seemingly doesn't want to recognize that it was Harry who first played Bale centrally and then it was an "unhappy and disillusioned" player, who didn't like what he was being asked to do under AVB that prompted him to "knock on the managers door".

It would be interesting to speculate on the outcome if AVB had instead said " you will play where I put you". Rather like with Verts at left back and Capoue in the centre of defence. And we know how that turned out.

Last edited:

Excellent questions.

Was disagreeing with a colleague ever deemed a fundamental problem?

Continual disagreements with a variety of people over a variety of issues does incline one to conclude that there was indeed some fundamental problem.

Continual disagreements with a variety of people over a variety of issues does incline one to conclude that there was indeed some fundamental problem.

Well apparently AVB wanted to change the medical staff, so that's a new idea. We don't know exactly what happened with Freund. I'm sure AVB will have taken much advice from him in the previous season and decided to either use it or not, and it may have been in this case he went about it in a more disrespectful way, or was questioning him infront of the group. As for disagreeing with Baldini, AVB is the coach and Baldini is the suit, it's AVBs job to set the training.

These examples we have heard just one side. We don't know why they lead to arguments. We don't know what the other side did. All we know is that AVB was in disputes with people who didn't like the ideas he was brought in to initiate, but he is getting all the blame for it. The whole point of hiring someone to bring change is that they make change. And at an elite level you are going to have other qualified people who will disagree. It is then up to the club to decide who they give the power to, and who they give up on.

I am not disputing that statement. I was asked to provide "proof" of who initiated the conversation and whose idea it was. Someone else ( not you, as you have also previously acknowledged this fact) thinks that it was AVB who came up with this brilliant idea and uses it to underline what a fantastic manager he was. He seemingly doesn't want to recognize that it was Harry who first played Bale centrally and then it was an "unhappy and disillusioned" player, who didn't like what he was being asked to do under AVB that prompted him to "knock on the managers door".

It would be interesting to speculate on the outcome if AVB had instead said " you will play where I put you". Rather like with Verts at left back and Capoue in the centre of defence. And we know how that turned out.

How many times has Capoue played central defence under AVB compared to under Sherwood? In any case, Capoue was signed as someone that could do the occasional job there.

Usual BS and mis-reading of posts; nothing new though

Do you or Millsy have a ink to this article? I would like to read it as it sounds very interesting

Here's the one that I took the quotes from (although there were many, from different sources):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2376974/Gareth-Bales-respect-Andre-Villas-Boas-Tottenham--Neil-Ashton.html

Here's one where AVB is saying he should take no credit for the move as he only done it due to lack of striking options and because Bale came to him:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1442473/andre-villas-boas-refuses-credit-moving-bale-central-role?cc=5739

In all honesty I think the one above proves Pirate correct, specifically the following bits;

"We tested it (Bale as a striker) out of necessity," Villas-Boas said. "We didn't have Defoe for the game against Liverpool and not Adebayor either. It was out of necessity.It wasn't in my mind to do this when I came here."

With this following it;

Villas-Boas confirmed the move to switch Bale to the centre came after the Wales international requested to be given more freedom to go for goals in a meeting at Tottenham's Enfield training base, with the idea subsequently embraced by his manager.

"I said to all of my teams that they can come into my office if they want," he stated. "It's no problem. Gareth and I had a conversation and you can see that he is enjoying his football playing in this position. His performances have been exceptional."

Last edited:
Back