• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This boards view on *alleged* racist behaviour

If it was one or two people, you would probably only be able to hear it in the immediate vicinity.

Point taken but again they have microphones all over the place and they can generally isolate individual noises. They need to get on this asap.

If it was one or two people, you would probably only be able to hear it in the immediate vicinity.

Very true. Im doubtful based on what people who were in the area are saying. I'm not doubting it could happen or that we, as a club, are above having a few neanderthals amongst our fan base but people who were in the area reckon it was just booing.

That said, if it turns out anything like that did happen the club must throw the book at the perpetrators which I believe they will and the FA should punish us which I believe they won't.

The ref was concerned enough that he spoke to both coaches, the officials and got the club make multiple announcements over the PA.

I'd say the ref was just following protocol. Player-->captain-->referee-->4th official and club officials
The announcements were confusing. I heard on the radio that the club confirmed there was only one reported incident, but that protocol says the announcement should be repeated. Which is now giving the impression that racism was rife and ongoing during the game. Just as I'm typing this I have heard Radio 4 refer to "the scenes" at yesterday's game.

It does seem strange that no one has come out openly to say they heard anything, nor that someone else nearby wouldn't have had something to say to the perpetrator. Nor that someone didn't have a phone recording what was going on on the pitch and inadvertently caught the racist on camera or at least the noises. Maybe there are fewer tourists in that area of the ground.
If it was loud enough for Rudiger to hear, it must have been loud enough for other fans to hear. Hopefully whoever was near this person feels comfortable enough to report it privately to the club. The club should be able to contact fans in the immediate area to ask for their input, with anonymity guaranteed.
If they do find out who it was, then that fan deserves to be publicly shamed as well of course as being banned for life, not just from Spurs but from everyone sporting venue in the country and abroad.

I think that Neville is spot on here.

SKY should be mortified about how they handled it. Neville made a very valid point about how racism is being fed from the top and the best they could do is say "these are the views of Gary Neville and not necessarily SKY."

Right there in that gutless, weasely statement is the attitude that allows racism and other discrimination to spread. "This is a serious issue but I'm not tinkling off powerful people so I'm covering my arse". clams.

And I'm not having a go at just the presenter. I've no doubt he had a producer in his ear.

I'd say the ref was just following protocol. Player-->captain-->referee-->4th official and club officials
The announcements were confusing. I heard on the radio that the club confirmed there was only one reported incident, but that protocol says the announcement should be repeated. Which is now giving the impression that racism was rife and ongoing during the game. Just as I'm typing this I have heard Radio 4 refer to "the scenes" at yesterday's game.

It does seem strange that no one has come out openly to say they heard anything, nor that someone else nearby wouldn't have had something to say to the perpetrator. Nor that someone didn't have a phone recording what was going on on the pitch and inadvertently caught the racist on camera or at least the noises. Maybe there are fewer tourists in that area of the ground.
If it was loud enough for Rudiger to hear, it must have been loud enough for other fans to hear. Hopefully whoever was near this person feels comfortable enough to report it privately to the club. The club should be able to contact fans in the immediate area to ask for their input, with anonymity guaranteed.
If they do find out who it was, then that fan deserves to be publicly shamed as well of course as being banned for life, not just from Spurs but from everyone sporting venue in the country and abroad.

I think that you are right on procedure. The announcements are a new UEFA thing and the club are obliged to do it.

I'm not surprised that no one has come forward. It might be only a few people in the direct vicinity and they might not be on social media or have been asked not to speak about it whilst it is being investigated. If there are criminal investigations and they spoke to the police, it would be contempt of court to speak about it.

I love how so many Spurs fans refuse to accept the possibility that some of our fans are ignorant racist pricks, even if it is a tiny minority. Those that think that are real dumb, because I have heard ignorant Spurs fans saying racist things about our own players and fans.

And it is not like a Spurs fan would ever be dumb enough to throw a banana at black player, like say Aubameyang, nah that would never happen now would it.
I don't think anyone's said that at all.

For my part, I just find the complete lack of any corroborating evidence whatsoever makes it incredibly unlikely. Lots of people were booing him, it was clearly upsetting him, he's a Chelsea, it's not an unlikely outcome.

I think that the language used over the last few of years has emboldened racists to feel more comfortable airing their views. The spike in hate crimes after the referendum is pretty clear to see. Unfortunately, too few politicians are taking their responsibilities seriously and are instead chasing cheap support through creating division.

None of that excuses what happened yesterday afternoon. The person/people who did it need to take personal responsibility and I hope that they are banned from football for life.
Yup, I watched the game in a local pub and the brazen shouts of “penny chews” when referring to Tottenham by the Chelsea fans stood behind me was something I’d never heard uttered in that gaff before and it certainly feels like Boris’ (plus Trump’s) dog whistle politics has emboldened the EDL types to crawl out from under their rocks :(

It's probably worth noting that the 'who let the yids out?' Chant could potentially be misheard as a Monkey chant : who who who/oo oo oo, gets trotted out when there are flash points in matches and the crowd get rowdy/aggressive

My mate was in the north lower
He saw and heard spurs fans abusing son using racist language.. and then fighting each other
He took his son who was upset

My mate was in the north lower
He saw and heard spurs fans abusing son using racist language.. and then fighting each other
He took his son who was upset

I’m in North Lower, and didn’t see any of that (mind you it was a rare game where the stewards left our section alone re standing so my view could have been obscured). Just shows I suppose how much can go on by the few that gets missed by the many.

I do. I'm pretty sure that this problem pre-dates him coming to power.

The question you posed was why it has suddenly spiked. Having someone pushing for power - and then running the country - who talks about “watermelon smiles” and “Picanninies” will help to legitimise this type of the behaviour in the minds of some idiots.

I’m in North Lower, and didn’t see any of that (mind you it was a rare game where the stewards left our section alone re standing so my view could have been obscured). Just shows I suppose how much can go on by the few that gets missed by the many.
The grounds huge too
He sits to left of the goal about two blocks to the left of it as you face it form the south

The question you posed was why it has suddenly spiked. Having someone pushing for power - and then running the country - who talks about “watermelon smiles” and “Picanninies” will help to legitimise this type of the behaviour in the minds of some idiots.
Has it spiked?
Or is it being recognised more?

The grounds huge too
He sits to left of the goal about two blocks to the left of it as you face it form the south

just a bit further along than me by the sounds of it.
Did he report it do you know? (Or did the stewards deal with it?). Even reporting it now would be worthwhile.
I hope your mate’s son is OK now. The game itself was a bad enough experience without having to be frightened and upset at what’s going on in the crowd.

just a bit further along than me by the sounds of it.
Did he report it do you know? (Or did the stewards deal with it?). Even reporting it now would be worthwhile.
I hope your mate’s son is OK now. The game itself was a bad enough experience without having to be frightened and upset at what’s going on in the crowd.
I doubt it knowing Trig... he is a Mainer but very passive.

Back