• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

This boards view on *alleged* racist behaviour

If the club cannot find any evidence, then it strongly increases the possibility that Rudiger misheard the alleged noises in the booing (which by all accounts was very loud, as you would expect after the incident with Son). In no way does it suggest, let alone prove, that he fabricated his allegation.

If the club cannot find any evidence, then it strongly increases the possibility that Rudiger misheard the alleged noises in the booing (which by all accounts was very loud, as you would expect after the incident with Son). In no way does it suggest, let alone prove, that he fabricated his allegation.
This
Cannot challenge a players perception of what he heard otherwise they wills top raising the questions around the issue

I absolutely believe that. When it happened in Manchester there was footage of it within minutes. There is CCTV footage of every inch of the ground. I believe the club statement that we've scoured it and seen nothing to back up Rudiger's outrageous claims.

The only suitable deterrent is a lifetime ban.

Shouldn't you be in the Palladium or somewhere given it's panto season?

In a million years you couldn't or shouldn't issue any ban to someone making these allegations unless you have categorical proof that they've made it up.

Shouldn't you be in the Palladium or somewhere given it's panto season?

In a million years you couldn't or shouldn't issue any ban to someone making these allegations unless you have categorical proof that they've made it up.
And (if what he alleges is shown not to have happened) we have at least as much proof as we would use to issue a lifetime ban to someone on the other end of it.

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/24/frank-lampard-jose-mourinho-rudiger-spurs-chelsea
Mourinho was unhappy with Rüdiger’s reaction to the kick by Son Heung-min that led to the Spurs being sent off during Chelsea’s 2-0 win on Sunday. After the game Mourinho said with heavy sarcasm that Rüdiger must be “having scans in the hospital on broken ribs”. The following day he again effectively accused the defender of cheating. “Stand up and play, man,” he said.
Lampard said in response on Tuesday: “With Toni, in this incident when he’s having to post after the game about something we know is a huge deal [racism], I think to question his integrity in that time is disappointing for sure.
How about we question his integrity on the monkey chants, if that's how he acts from minimal contact?

have to say I’ve not heard monkey chants at a game since millwall did it to their own player in the 80s. I have heard racist comments but monkey chants are IMO quite significant and instantly recognisable
We didn’t chant the who let the yids out chant once on Sunday

Did in 249 where i was, and the blocks either side - more so individuals or groups of individuals attempting to get it started but it would have been possible to have heard on the pitch id imagine.

Never heard a Monkey chant myself so don't know whether it would be possible to confuse the two, but I'd imagine if you hear a bunch of people attempting to get the yids out chant going it could potentially sound like monkey noises

Did in 249 where i was, and the blocks either side - more so individuals or groups of individuals attempting to get it started but it would have been possible to have heard on the pitch id imagine.

Never heard a Monkey chant myself so don't know whether it would be possible to confuse the two, but I'd imagine if you hear a bunch of people attempting to get the yids out chant going it could potentially sound like monkey noises

I was up in Block 528 and heard attempts to start that chant. They would have heard it on the pitch but I'm pretty sure it was first half.

The following was posted by JimB at Skyscrapercity. I think he was a member here in one incarnation.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=549397&page=4416

To all concerned,

There is a photograph taken at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium on Sunday of Antonio Rudiger, Harry Kane and the referee, Anthony Taylor, in discussion after the sending off of Heung Min Son. It appeared on both the Telegraph and Guardian website front pages. I post the link here:

TELEMMGLPICT000219760998_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqMEJUBKyrX-wHxKx-gKHCR0zxlKx4xQtB8QPC5da801A.jpeg

In the stands, immediately behind Harry Kane's head, you can see a tall, rather angry looking, middle aged man pointing his finger in Antonio Rudiger's direction. That man is me. I begin with this revelation, for want of a better word, because I wish to establish that there can hardly have been more than half a dozen fans in the stadium who were closer to where Sunday's big talking point unfolded than me. I was probably less than twenty yards away.

And I am as convinced as it is possible to be that there was no racism directed at Antonio Rudiger. I could not be more certain that this unprecedented media storm is, in fact, the consequence of a huge misunderstanding on Antonio Rudiger's part. To be clear, please do not mistake my stance for that of someone who lightly dismisses or excuses racism; or for that of a fan incapable of objectivity and in denial about the possibility that racists exist within all clubs' fan bases. For me, the fight to eradicate racism in football far exceeds in importance and worthiness the desire to defend my club's reputation. I know that there are racists among all fan bases - Spurs included. And should I ever witness racism from Spurs fans, I would want the full force of the law to bear down on them.

So, to the events of Sunday afternoon and why I so wholeheartedly believe what I believe. By way of background, for what it's worth, I have no real argument with Son's sending off. He did make a slight, if aborted, move of his feet towards Rudiger as he tumbled. And such an action is likely to result in a red card. Nevertheless, that can't excuse Antonio Rudiger's reaction. Jose Mourinho said it best when he sarcastically wished the Chelsea defender a speedy recovery from the multiple broken ribs that he must have suffered. There is nothing more cowardly within football than feigning injury in order to get an opposition player sent off.

As English football fans are wont to do in such circumstances, thousands of us in the south stand chanted "cheat, cheat, cheat, cheat..." at Antonio Rudiger. It was at that specific moment that he turned and gestured angrily at us before going to his captain / the referee to complain about having been the target of monkey noises. When English is not your first language and when you are unfamiliar with English fan culture, 5000 or so English fans chanting "cheat, cheat, cheat...." at a fast tempo and unsynchronised could, I suspect, sound very much like monkey noises. The timing of Antonio Rudiger's angry gesture towards the fans and immediate subsequent discussions with his captain and the referee confirms that suspicion. The only alternative is that Antonio Rudiger is claiming that he heard a lone voice making monkey noises. And if that is the case, then I say that Antonio Rudiger is a liar. There is not the remotest chance that he could have isolated that lone voice above the nigh on identical sound of 5000 fans repeatedly shouting "cheat".

Of course, it is possible that, in a quieter moment, Antonio Rudiger heard this lone, racist voice. But no one else did. Nor could Spurs' and the police's forensic CCTV study of every fan in the crowd identify a guilty party. Besides, I am quite confident that the person to whom this lone voice belonged would have been quickly shopped - or at least shopped by now - if he existed. Spurs fans do not tolerate racism. So I can only conclude that this person does not exist. And since I have no reason to believe that Antonio Rudiger would lie about such a serious matter, the only remaining, plausible explanation that fits the facts is that he mistook chants of "cheat" for monkey noises. That's why he gestured angrily at fans in the south stand. He couldn't have been reacting to anything else.

In the meanwhile, the name and reputation of Spurs fans has been dragged through the mud. There has been an unprecedented level of coverage and outcry concerning Sunday's events - wholly out of proportion with any previous instance of alleged racism. It is more than a little ironic given that, more than any club's fans, Spurs fans have repeatedly been on the receiving end of genuine, vile racist abuse that has repeatedly received little to no media coverage.

So I believe that, given the evidence that I have supplied above and given the complete absence of any evidence pointing to anyone having directed monkey noises at Antonio Rudiger, Spurs and Spurs fans are owed an apology that is every bit as widely disseminated, loudly proclaimed and sincerely meant as the accusations and opprobrium that has rained down on us for the past few days. Antonio Rudiger should be presented with the facts as I saw them and asked if he hasn't, in fact, made an innocent mistake - albeit one that has had huge consequences. There can be no blame directed at him for such an innocent mistake so he should not feel afraid to admit it. Far better that than to stubbornly stick to his story without knowing, beyond doubt, that he genuinely heard what he thought he heard.

I could not be more aware that the fight to eradicate racism within football is of paramount importance. And I fully acknowledge that those charged with the running of clubs and the game more generally have a great responsibility to support players who are subject to racism. Rightly so. But I therefore suspect that, if no evidence of racism is found in this instance, the matter will be allowed to fade from public attention without further comment being made. And the stain of racist abuse will linger and taint the reputation of Spurs and Spurs fans henceforward. And that is not fair. And it does a disservice to the genuine fight against racism. I cannot and will not allow this to happen. I hope to see positive action from each of you to whom I have sent this email. If you wish to contact me for further discussion, please do so. If you wish to publish or use what I have written for further discussion elsewhere, you have my permission - so long as you do not edit it to alter its meaning in any way, however subtle. If nothing is done and if no evidence of racist behaviour is found and presented to the media, then I will have to consider what further action I (with the help of other Spurs fans) might have to take to make right the wrong that I believe has been done to Spurs fans.

Thank you all for taking the time to read the above. I hope that it has been of some help. I look forward to your responses and to whatever subsequent action you are able to take.

Happy Christmas!

Yours sincerely

Excellently written, both clear and compelling.

I do think he's been a little generous in his assumption that Rudiger made an honest mistake, but a good read all the same.

Yeah confusing that chant with monkey noises is plausible I suppose.

JimB is a good guy and I’m sure he has submitted this account to the Club.

Interesting but I still have my suspicions around rudiger’s motives but that isnt going to be proven one way or the other.

I guess we can go back to focussing on what total idiots gazza, aurier, son and rudiger are, all for their massive contribution footballing wise to our brick show of a performance on Sunday.

From reading the tweet, he was referring to the alleged abuse of Rudiger, and from reading the comments under the tweet he has reported it to the club.

Back