• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2014-2015

United had a avrage age of 22.4

That doesn't sound too different from our recent teams in PL & COC - I don't have the numbers to hand.

I know that every player on the pitch could be 21 (more so at this time of year), but ought there be a rule that the average age should actually be 21½ or less ?.

That doesn't sound too different from our recent teams in PL & COC - I don't have the numbers to hand.

I know that every player on the pitch could be 21 (more so at this time of year), but ought there be a rule that the average age should actually be 21½ or less ?.

The rules are perfectly fine.

I don't mind at all that our development squad comes up against tougher opposition. It's not about winning the reserve league trophy, it's about developing players.

Dunno what Monaco are going to do now, no one is gunna buy Falcao for the sort of money they want now.

I've never heard an interview with Ugo Ehiogu before. Just listened to a couple on the os there, speaks and comes across really well. Obviously seems to be doing an excellent job with the kids too. Impressive.

Also the year Man U introduced their youth into the team 1995-1996 their average age was just 24, I might be getting a bit carried away but you get my point.

I have no idea where to we could find them but I bet there must be articles out there that suggest the more successful sides always have a higher average age but with a good mix of youth and experience.
I love the fact we seem to have started producing our own first teamers for the first time in what seems like forever, but I wouldn't get carried away too much just yet. Maybe fast-forward and the prospect of having some home grown players of all ages throughout our squad, that is something I could get much more excited about. Imagine still having 27/28 year old Mason, Kane and Bentalebs mixed with future waves of youngsters coming through looking up to these guys as roles models and proof of what could be... as opposed to the general feeling of 'Try as hard as you like but eventually after a few loans, if you don't breakthrough it doesn't matter as you will always have the fall back of knowing some football league club will pick you up'

I have no idea where to we could find them but I bet there must be articles out there that suggest the more successful sides always have a higher average age but with a good mix of youth and experience.
I love the fact we seem to have started producing our own first teamers for the first time in what seems like forever, but I wouldn't get carried away too much just yet. Maybe fast-forward and the prospect of having some home grown players of all ages throughout our squad, that is something I could get much more excited about. Imagine still having 27/28 year old Mason, Kane and Bentalebs mixed with future waves of youngsters coming through looking up to these guys as roles models and proof of what could be... as opposed to the general feeling of 'Try as hard as you like but eventually after a few loans, if you don't breakthrough it doesn't matter as you will always have the fall back of knowing some football league club will pick you up'

Agreed that it's great. But I have no problems with getting carried away :) Has taken time, but we seem to be looking at something that might be considered a production line of youngsters coming through.

Agreed too that having the "fall back option" available should be motivating for the youngsters, and perhaps important when attempting to recruit youngsters. It's why I've been quite happy to see us be patient and helpful with youngsters like Dawkins.

The only ones of last night's squad who will make it with us are the U18s I think: Onomah, Carter vickers, Kyle Jnr, maybe Amos

If we see 3-4 players make it with us out players in an age range of just 2-3 years, I wouldn't call that "only". That would be rather spectacular actually. Apart from the United golden generation and perhaps some Barca generations I don't think that has been bettered often at a high level.

Indeed brainy. In the past I've bemoaned the luck of Cheatski to get Captain Leader Legend Big JT playing very well and fit for 1000 games, ditto Pool with Gerrard, those guys have made such an impact.

(Such a shame that Ledley managed a fraction of that).

If our spine players of Kane or Mason or Bentaleb or Dier can have a similar run of 1000 games at a high level it would be a massive boost for us. Imagine if all of them can, that would be like the Busby Babes or Fergie Kids.

If we see 3-4 players make it with us out players in an age range of just 2-3 years, I wouldn't call that "only". That would be rather spectacular actually. Apart from the United golden generation and perhaps some Barca generations I don't think that has been bettered often at a high level.

I agree. My comment was in response to someone praising the U21s - reality is that most of them will be released

I agree. My comment was in response to someone praising the U21s - reality is that most of them will be released

Yeah, obviously most players in any given development squad will not make it. Would be very surprising if that wasn't the case.

Right now we're already looking at 2, 3 or 4 players in the 20-23 year range establishing themselves in the first team as regular starters or even unquestioned first choice players. Bentaleb and Kane, Mason not far behind. Rose as well if you include him as an academy product. Townsend making himself a useful squad player. With Pritchard and possibly Carroll ready to attempt similar things next season.

If somewhere between 2-4 players of the next group (17-20) can do the same that would be great. Onomah, Carter Vickers, Walker-Peters, Veljkovic, Fredricks, Winks and more at least in contention to do so. We then have another bunch in the next age group already showing promise.

Real makings of a production line. I honestly thought it would take us longer to start producing players at the level that Kane and Bentaleb in particular are showing at the moment. But there might be more players ready to establish themselves not only as first choice, but potential stars for the future.

Back