• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

Sorry I see nothing in Lo Celso and N’Dombele has disappointed looking heavy and slow and sadly underwhelming, I was expecting too much probably for £56m?
These two I hope go on and improve but so far it looks like fitness and lack of suitability for our league once again raises its ugly head.

The above should make them world beaters by Xmas ;)

Really hard to tell, new players, new league in a team that has been absolute dross for 12 months .. both have had moments where you see flashes of what we were buying.

- Interesting for me that Jose brought on N'dombele in last game for Dele, does it say something about Jose's idea of positioning?

Priority will likely remain a DM and FB, but I'd expect the club to be opportunistic and also wouldn't be surprised if Jose had an identified player or two coming in that may not only be defensive.

Really hard to tell, new players, new league in a team that has been absolute dross for 12 months .. both have had moments where you see flashes of what we were buying.

- Interesting for me that Jose bought on N'dombele in last game for Dele, does it say something about Jose's idea of positioning?

Priority will likely remain a DM and FB, but I'd expect the club to be opportunistic and also wouldn't be surprised if Jose had an identified player or two coming in that may not only be defensive.

DM/Holding Mid for me. Or whatever they are technically bloody called.

This for me too. If we can get two good fullbacks in, we'll be allright.

We might need another runner in midfield if he sticks with his one runner, one passer model. Dier is good for one of the slots, if he can regain his fitness but there isn't really another option. He clearly doesn't fancy Sissoko in central midfield.

Two fullbacks, a CB and a holding midfielder for me. I would prioritise FBs in January, the ones that we have just aren't good enough.

Highest priority for me is a DM. Dier is the only realistic option there at the minute and if he doesn't regain his form we will continue to be exposed defensively. It is criminal how much time and space we are allowing in the 5-10 yard area outside our penalty area.

After that is sorted, I think we need competition for both full backs and a dominating CH.

7 goals for and 4 against in two games gives a clear indication of where we are lacking. We are well stocked in quality midfield players and forwards, but we really need to concentrate on getting our defence sorted.

Highest priority for me is a DM. Dier is the only realistic option there at the minute and if he doesn't regain his form we will continue to be exposed defensively. It is criminal how much time and space we are allowing in the 5-10 yard area outside our penalty area.

After that is sorted, I think we need competition for both full backs and a dominating CH.

7 goals for and 4 against in two games gives a clear indication of where we are lacking. We are well stocked in quality midfield players and forwards, but we really need to concentrate on getting our defence sorted.

I think that we agree on the priorites, just may not the order. I would be delighted with a midfield runner in January. I am not sure that I would describe this role as a DM but I know that many would.

I think that we agree on the priorites, just may not the order. I would be delighted with a midfield runner in January. I am not sure that I would describe this role as a DM but I know that many would.

I would be intrigued to know where you think Poch intended to play our three big summer aquisitions - and with whom - and in what formation?

I would be intrigued to know where you think Poch intended to play our three big summer aquisitions - and with whom - and in what formation?

Either a three man midfield of Winks, N'Dombele and Lo Celso or 4-2-3-1 with Winks and N'Dombele at the base of midfield and Lo Celso filling Eriksen's position in the three.

I I can't dance with that, either. I will point out that Mourinho's classic Chelsea side only had one really 'pacy' player, in Arjen Robben. Damien Duff flitted in and out of the side for a while, but the one folks most remember looked like this...

............Drogba.............

Robben--------------------Cole

-------Essien----Lampard------

------------Makelele------------

Gallas---Carvalho----Terry--Ferreira

------------Cech----------------

Additionally, the classic Inter side that beat Barcelona 3-1 looked like this -

------------Milito--------------

Pandev---Sneijder-----Eto'o

------Cambiasso---Motta----

Zanetti---Lucio--Samuel--Maicon

------------Cesar-----------------

...with only two particularly pacy players in Eto'o and Maicon, although Milito and Pandev were quick (not pacy, but quick).

I think Mourinho's hallmark is adaptabilty, more than pace or power (as is often attributed to him).

I actually think our squad has more pure possibilities for tactical combinations than either that Inter side or his Chelsea side of 05/06 did - the only side he's managed that had more possible adaptations was probably his Real Madrid side. For us, there's loads of possible combinations he can use, particularly in midfield.

For what it's worth, I think two of our central midfielders will miss out. One will be a holder (Dier/someone else), and then there will be up to three positions for the others (one deep-lying player alongside the holder, the No.10 role, and possibly a playmaker from out wide like Joe Cole or a utility player like Pandev).

Dele is pretty locked in, I think - he's got the grinta Mourinho likes. The other two potential positions are up for grabs between Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko.

And I think the latter two will end up losing out in that fight, unless Mourinho has a plan for even more central midfielders in mind (which is possible - if he plays a back three, he could conceivably drop Dier into the back line and fit four of the five into midfield in a 3-4-2-1).
Definitely good points and if I made it sound like I think he only uses very quick wide players that wasn't my intention. Just that he seems to have that preference to a greater extent than Pochettino (who rarely used Son and Moura as the two wide players).

Will be interesting to see how it develops. I can definitely see an argument for Mourinho mainly playing players that are well settled with experience of playing well for us in the league at the start to get things going.

His differing preferences to Pochettino creates slight imbalances in the squad whilst perhaps fixing others. Makes it fun to speculate on what could happen should we open up for spending in January.

............Striker.............

Left-----------------------Right

-------Essien----Lampard------

------------Makelele------------

LB---------CB----CB-------RB

Additionally, the classic Inter side that beat Barcelona 3-1 looked like this -

............Striker.............

Left-------Sneijder------Right

------Cambiasso---Motta----

LB---------CB----CB-------RB
So the main difference, in midfield is whether you have a #10 right up there like Sneijder at Inter, then 2 behind holding things together...
Or 2 all-round-midfielders probing, with Makelele mopping up everything behind like a crazy tornado.

People always used to say that Makelele did the work of 2 men... then Kante also... then players like Ndidi and Gueye do similar... I wonder if we will buy a player like that.
Freeing up 2 all-rounders from Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks, Alli

My thoughts as well that we need a good defensive midfielder. Zakaira seems highly rated, I could dream of Luis at Benfica but his buy out clause is stupid high.

With all respect to Lloris and what he's done for the club I don't really think he'd be saving any of these goals that Gazza is letting in nor would he breath confidence to our defense in terms of the sturdiness of it all. With that in mind it makes sense to be looking at this kind of deal, if he is good enough of course.

I think there's a clear need for investment elsewhere on the pitch so if we could get a decent fee for Lloris once he's back to full fitness (don't personally think we'll see him before February at earliest for us) and get in a young talent like Nubel + a Rob Green type experienced 3rd choice it'll make sense for our coffers, the squad registration (three overseas keepers like we have is a bad situation) and the squad itself as it'd mean a proper battle for the number 1 shirt.

Would like to see a few more crafty moves like the above. I made no attempt to hide my concerns re Poch from a transfer point of view and thought maybe that we were a bit arrogant in not making certain types of moves as we felt we were possibly above them. Jose will have more belief that the characters that he brings in can and should have an immediate impact rather than all this "a season and a half to bed in" flimflam; for the Alli type punts on promising youth I appreciate the patience required but some experience is clearly needed in midfield. Mentioned in the youth / loan thread about Vidal at Barca, age and wages are the downside and I suppose it's the same with Matic, I wonder who else is out there that can come in to shore things up if Dier doesn't get back to full form / fitness.

Back