• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/jose-mour...-signing-player-gives-hint-transfer-possible/

After signing a new contract with Sporting, club captain Bruno Fernandes gave press conference on Wednesday.

The midfielder confirmed that there was a clause which would force the Lions to pay him €5m in case they rejected a bid of over €35m.

And although Tottenham offered that amount, Fernandes says he didn’t want to receive that fine from the club, and even removed this clause from the current deal.

“They talk about millions without being sure what it is. Yes, it was accepted by me and my agent that this 35 million clause should be withdrawn, because I had the opportunity to use it and did not use it; so it made no sense to be there,” said Bruno Fernandes (via Record).

“There was also a payment from Sporting if they didn’t let me leave and that payment didn’t happen. As the renewal was made, I thought it was good that this money wasn’t used, because if it was, there was no renewal. I have shown more than once the respect I have for Sporting. Many people say, at a time when the club is struggling, that it’s a very strange renewal. But it’s easy to do the math. Five million [tax-free] for Sporting would be €10m [gross], and my renewal isn’t close to five million.”

Speaking of his future, Fernandes has made it clear the new contract doesn’t change his situation at the club, especially because the contract’s release clause and expiry date continue to be the same.

“These are things I can’t promise, it’s not me who has the strength to decide this or not. This renewal has nothing to do with a possible departure or staying here, this is never what was at stake. I’m happy, it’s a sign of recognition of my work and it gives me more will and obligation to fight and want to do more, for myself and for the responsibility that the club puts on me.”

There’s only one club named by Record, and that’s Tottenham. They say Bruno Fernandes continues to be in the ‘radar of European giants’, and the main pretenders are ‘José Mourinho’s Tottenham’.

Bruno Fernandes’ contract with Sporting expires in 2023, and he’s protected by a release clause of €100m, although the Portuguese press keeps saying that €70m would be enough to take him.

Not really the best person to ask to be honest, Ive not seen a huge amount.

From the little Ive seen he does look a real player, incredible stats, and generally looks quality - the sort that could really step up.

That said, to my eye, he would also be stepping directly on Alli/Lo Celso's toes, so I dont really see the need/sense in spending big on him.

I just posted that due to his continually being linked to us. Im still convinced it was either/or in the summer with him and Lo Celso and the decision was made back then...

Not really the best person to ask to be honest, Ive not seen a huge amount.

From the little Ive seen he does look a real player, incredible stats, and generally looks quality - the sort that could really step up.

That said, to my eye, he would also be stepping directly on Alli/Lo Celso's toes, so I dont really see the need/sense in spending big on him.

I just posted that due to his continually being linked to us. Im still convinced it was either/or in the summer with him and Lo Celso and the decision was made back then...
Thing is you’re assuming that Lo Celso is in Mourinhos plans - how many minutes has he been used in his first two games? Don’t forget he’s only on loan too....

Thing is you’re assuming that Lo Celso is in Mourinhos plans - how many minutes has he been used in his first two games? Don’t forget he’s only on loan too....

Its been two games. And Lo Celso has barely played/integrated all season. Far too early to write him off (by that logic, he doesnt fancy NDombele either?)

As an aside, what I have seen of him, Id suggest he is right up Joses street to be honest. Tigerish, aggressive, hard working and not short of skill at all...

Obviously guess work, but Id bet on Mourinho making use of Lo Celso as being far more likely than binning him off and going big for Fernandes.

I want Ziyech. Thought he was destined for Arsenal but after they wasted all their money on Pepe and now we have some manager pulling power, I'm hoping we can get him. Right age, plenty of skill and pace and seems to have the right attitude to succeed.

Its been two games. And Lo Celso has barely played/integrated all season. Far too early to write him off (by that logic, he doesnt fancy NDombele either?)

As an aside, what I have seen of him, Id suggest he is right up Joses street to be honest. Tigerish, aggressive, hard working and not short of skill at all...

Obviously guess work, but Id bet on Mourinho making use of Lo Celso as being far more likely than binning him off and going big for Fernandes.

I agree, well-stated.

Steady tiger, that is high praise indeed!

It's true. Lo Celso is an incredibly adaptable midfielder with everything Mourinho likes - pace, aggression, immense work rate and a preference for the direct over the flashy. He can tackle, can mark, can press, can dribble, can pass and can score - he's as close to complete as any player can be.

In his time in Europe, he's been used as a defensive midfielder (PSG), deep-lying playmaker (PSG), box-to-box midfielder (Betis), No.10 (Betis), winger (Betis) and striker (Betis). And he excelled in every role, to the point where PSG fans and staff alike believe that losing him was probably their biggest mistake of the last few years.

One of the many frustrating things about the way it ended for Poch was that we were coming through one of the hardest sets of fixtures in the league (based on current form), and, going forward, have the *easiest* set of fixtures remaining.

Of all 20 teams.

And with Lo Celso, Ndombele and Dele, we had, and have, the best trio of pressing all-round midfielders in *Europe*, let alone the Premier League.

The foundations for a great Spurs 2.0 were already there, and remain here for Mourinho to utilise - in truth, the way he and Poch like to set up is very similar, which makes it easier for him. But Lo Celso will be a key part of it going forward - at least, he will be if Mourinho isn't stupid.

It's true. Lo Celso is an incredibly adaptable midfielder with everything Mourinho likes - pace, aggression, immense work rate and a preference for the direct over the flashy. He can tackle, can mark, can press, can dribble, can pass and can score - he's as close to complete as any player can be.

In his time in Europe, he's been used as a defensive midfielder (PSG), deep-lying playmaker (PSG), box-to-box midfielder (Betis), No.10 (Betis), winger (Betis) and striker (Betis). And he excelled in every role, to the point where PSG fans and staff alike believe that losing him was probably their biggest mistake of the last few years.

One of the many frustrating things about the way it ended for Poch was that we were coming through one of the hardest sets of fixtures in the league (based on current form), and, going forward, have the *easiest* set of fixtures remaining.

Of all 20 teams.

And with Lo Celso, Ndombele and Dele, we had, and have, the best trio of pressing all-round midfielders in *Europe*, let alone the Premier League.

The foundations for a great Spurs 2.0 were already there, and remain here for Mourinho to utilise - in truth, the way he and Poch like to set up is very similar, which makes it easier for him. But Lo Celso will be a key part of it going forward - at least, he will be if Mourinho isn't stupid.
Very good post and I I can't dance with any of that.

What I will add is that even though Lo Celso is adaptable I don't think he has blistering pace, he's not a quick winger in the mould Mourinho so often has had success with in the past and has preferred so far with us, though only over two games.

If Mourinho sees our future as one with two truly fast wide players that opens up some selection headaches. That leaves two positions for creative players without blistering pace. The roles Winks and Alli have filled so far. Assuming he'll want one more designated defensive midfielder in the side (Dier so far).

We have a lot of players for those two positions. Winks and Alli that have filled them so far. Eriksen that came on in both games though he may not be an option for much longer. Ndombele who most think will make himself an automatic starter. Lo Celso, Lamela, possibly Sissoko though I personally find that unlikely.

Now, Mourinho might change things around. If not it will be a real fight for those positions, I can't see Alli losing out. Will it be between Ndombele, Lo Celso and Winks for the other one?

There will be injuries and rotation, but I struggle to see either of Ndombele or Lo Celso happy with being a backup slightly longer term.

Some big decisions for Mourinho, and like I said we should have course see a change of approach.

Very good post and I I can't dance with any of that.

What I will add is that even though Lo Celso is adaptable I don't think he has blistering pace, he's not a quick winger in the mould Mourinho so often has had success with in the past and has preferred so far with us, though only over two games.

If Mourinho sees our future as one with two truly fast wide players that opens up some selection headaches. That leaves two positions for creative players without blistering pace. The roles Winks and Alli have filled so far. Assuming he'll want one more designated defensive midfielder in the side (Dier so far).

We have a lot of players for those two positions. Winks and Alli that have filled them so far. Eriksen that came on in both games though he may not be an option for much longer. Ndombele who most think will make himself an automatic starter. Lo Celso, Lamela, possibly Sissoko though I personally find that unlikely.

Now, Mourinho might change things around. If not it will be a real fight for those positions, I can't see Alli losing out. Will it be between Ndombele, Lo Celso and Winks for the other one?

There will be injuries and rotation, but I struggle to see either of Ndombele or Lo Celso happy with being a backup slightly longer term.

Some big decisions for Mourinho, and like I said we should have course see a change of approach.

I I can't dance with that, either. I will point out that Mourinho's classic Chelsea side only had one really 'pacy' player, in Arjen Robben. Damien Duff flitted in and out of the side for a while, but the one folks most remember looked like this...

............Drogba.............

Robben--------------------Cole

-------Essien----Lampard------

------------Makelele------------

Gallas---Carvalho----Terry--Ferreira

------------Cech----------------

Additionally, the classic Inter side that beat Barcelona 3-1 looked like this -

------------Milito--------------

Pandev---Sneijder-----Eto'o

------Cambiasso---Motta----

Zanetti---Lucio--Samuel--Maicon

------------Cesar-----------------

...with only two particularly pacy players in Eto'o and Maicon, although Milito and Pandev were quick (not pacy, but quick).

I think Mourinho's hallmark is adaptabilty, more than pace or power (as is often attributed to him).

I actually think our squad has more pure possibilities for tactical combinations than either that Inter side or his Chelsea side of 05/06 did - the only side he's managed that had more possible adaptations was probably his Real Madrid side. For us, there's loads of possible combinations he can use, particularly in midfield.

For what it's worth, I think two of our central midfielders will miss out. One will be a holder (Dier/someone else), and then there will be up to three positions for the others (one deep-lying player alongside the holder, the No.10 role, and possibly a playmaker from out wide like Joe Cole or a utility player like Pandev).

Dele is pretty locked in, I think - he's got the grinta Mourinho likes. The other two potential positions are up for grabs between Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko.

And I think the latter two will end up losing out in that fight, unless Mourinho has a plan for even more central midfielders in mind (which is possible - if he plays a back three, he could conceivably drop Dier into the back line and fit four of the five into midfield in a 3-4-2-1).

I want Ziyech. Thought he was destined for Arsenal but after they wasted all their money on Pepe and now we have some manager pulling power, I'm hoping we can get him. Right age, plenty of skill and pace and seems to have the right attitude to succeed.

He's a really good player but I think that our priorities are at the other end of the pitch.

Of all 20 teams.

Sorry I see nothing in Lo Celso and N’Dombele has disappointed looking heavy and slow and sadly underwhelming, I was expecting too much probably for £56m?
These two I hope go on and improve but so far it looks like fitness and lack of suitability for our league once again raises its ugly head.

The above should make them world beaters by Xmas ;)

Back