• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

There's going to be a continent wide fire sale in the summer, with us and brighton picking up the choice cuts. No way we'll need to pay £50m for anyone. We should just be chucking in £20m offers for the likes of Isak and Cole Palmer from the most in-trouble clubs
You'll have to explain how selling Isak or Cole for less than they paid helps any of those clubs situation?

IMO, we need to be prepared to drop serious coin in the summer if we want to upgrade our front three this summer. If it means dropping £70m+ to secure a top class forward then so be it. Not saying we should exclusively look at expensive players and not also look for a bargain/look at less high profile options, but we went through a lot of upheaval to build the new stadium so we could compete financially with the big boys, Liverpool spent similar amounts of Van Dijk and Alison and it took them to the next level. Arsenal spent £100m on Rice.

Arsenal also spent £70m on pepe. Liverpool £85m on nunez.

Just get the right player.

Any transfer is a risk, I was merely saying we shouldn’t hold back if the right player costs more than we would usually spend on a player.

Agree. But our best players have mostly seemed to be the ones with potential rather than ready made. Although we do make opportunistic buys that work out. Modric, bale, walker, berbatov, carrick... even klinnsmann none of them stretched the budget.
Our more expensive buys seem to all have been disappointments to an extent.

Not against spending £70-100m on a player. I just think there is diminishing returns for buying a player over £50m (not always but more often than not).

Get the scouting right.

Agree. But our best players have mostly seemed to be the ones with potential rather than ready made. Although we do make opportunistic buys that work out. Modric, bale, walker, berbatov, carrick... even klinnsmann none of them stretched the budget.

Not against spending £70-100m on a player. I just think there is diminishing returns for buying a player over £50m (not always but more often than not).

Get the scouting right.
Yep
Just buy the right player irrelevant of his cost

Get the scouting right.

Yeh that's where I am with it, for me I'm.taking a simplistic view to it in that I just want improvement. If this summer we sign players that improve first team quality and first team depth meaning we can navigate a season better and improve our prospects across the board I'm going to be happy. I'm not going to get wrapped up in names and fees.

We signed MVDV and he would be 80m of anyone's money this summer as a prem ready defender, is that any less the case because we paid alot less for him?

Yeh that's where I am with it, for me I'm.taking a simplistic view to it in that I just want improvement. If this summer we sign players that improve first team quality and first team depth meaning we can navigate a season better and improve our prospects across the board I'm going to be happy. I'm not going to get wrapped up in names and fees.

We signed MVDV and he would be 80m of anyone's money this summer as a prem ready defender, is that any less the case because we paid alot less for him?

Also spending a huge amount of money on a player makes it very difficult to get rid if they don't work out. Selling for less than their book value will be considereda loss under psr.

Also spending a huge amount of money on a player makes it very difficult to get rid if they don't work out. Selling for less than their book value will be considereda loss under psr.
Unless their contract runs down
But also bug fees bring big pressure
Unless your completely ignorant to it as a player it’s a heavy burden

Unless their contract runs down
But also bug fees bring big pressure
Unless your completely ignorant to it as a player it’s a heavy burden

Absolutely

For me the difference should be paying to get the signings we want to make over the line, I don't think there are many genuine superstars out there anymore and I also don't think they would comes to Spurs yet. But if we really wanted someone who was going to cost based on various factors I would expect us to do the business (within reason). Issue then comes when we do that, for say a Johnson where we are paying a portion of what he is worth to NF that people moan we paid too much. So really, can the club ever win when it comes to spending optics? I'm not so sure TBH

Absolutely

For me the difference should be paying to get the signings we want to make over the line, I don't think there are many genuine superstars out there anymore and I also don't think they would comes to Spurs yet. But if we really wanted someone who was going to cost based on various factors I would expect us to do the business (within reason). Issue then comes when we do that, for say a Johnson where we are paying a portion of what he is worth to NF that people moan we paid too much. So really, can the club ever win when it comes to spending optics? I'm not so sure TBH
No club can win
Pool fans complained their owners don’t spend enough yet laud every signing
Arsenal spend loads but twirl fans deny they spend anything
City have a quiet summer but spend £200m (I have no idea of the figure)
unless the signing works there is always muck to throw but the variables for a player to work at a club are huge and varied.
It’s why Werner coming in and hitting the ground running helps, as long as we sign more players

We need signings who can have a genuine impact
We need signing who get the culture of the team
They are key things
We have the debate on how brick is Werner going on in that thread. The key is he has come in and had an impact. That’s what matters with any signing

Rudoni at Huddersfield again very, very impressive. Could definitely see him playing at PL level.

Back