• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Squad

So, the squad (apologies if I miss a few youngsters out)

------------------------lloris/vorm/lopez
walker/trippier----toby/ccv-----vert/wimmer-----rose/davies
---------------dier/wanyama--------dembele/sissoko
----lamela/son---------alli/onomah--------eriksen/nkoudou
------------------------kane/jannsen

Several of those players can play in multiple positions (so, it's unlikely we'll see Onomah used as direct cover for Alli when Eriksen can come inside or Dembele move up/Harry move back etc.)

I think we are in really good shape there. Just need Poch to get them going.

Wouldn't Sissoko be more Alli's understudy, with Winks Dembele's?

Wouldn't Sissoko be more Alli's understudy, with Winks Dembele's?

I don't know, I'm not totally sure what position we have signed Sissoko for. Due to his ability to dribble and his athleticism and physical presence, to me it makes sense that he competes with Dembele for a spot in the team. And, like Dembele, he'd also be at home playing further up, even out wide.

I think the midfield 'two' will comprise of one athletic destroyer (Dier/Wanyama) and one athletic dribbler (Dembele/Sissoko). We'll have to wait and see what Poch does though. He's got some options now.

Why?
You have a habit of putting players in different positions
Sissoko can play anywhere across midfield and Winks hasn't had a sniff in the league

Just because Sissoko seems to primarily operate in the #10 hole (even though he's a playmaker of no sort)

Just because Sissoko seems to primarily operate in the #10 hole (even though he's a playmaker of no sort)

I'm not sure how much game time he'll get at number 10 for us, but we'll see. With Dembele returning soon as well, we can look forward to being more dynamic in attack.

Several of those players can play in multiple positions (so, it's unlikely we'll see Onomah used as direct cover for Alli when Eriksen can come inside or Dembele move up/Harry move back etc.)

I think it will be very different, don't think you are looking at like for like, it's more options

- Standard 11 -> Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane
- Options -> Janssen, Nkoudou, Wanyama

Instead of thinking Nkoudou as sub for Eriksen (as example), we could play Nkoudou and push Eriksen in (and sacrifice a Alli or DM player)

Obviously added pace & width options which we haven't had for a while.

I think it will be very different, don't think you are looking at like for like, it's more options

- Standard 11 -> Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane
- Options -> Janssen, Nkoudou, Wanyama

Instead of thinking Nkoudou as sub for Eriksen (as example), we could play Nkoudou and push Eriksen in (and sacrifice a Alli or DM player)

Obviously added pace & width options which we haven't had for a while.

You dont consider Sissoko to be an option?!? Having Janssen, Nkoudou, Wanyama and Sissoko on the bench (plus 2 defs and a keeper) will be utterly superb. Decent PL quality players available to come on and change a game. A sign of the depth is that Son no longer makes the bench, along with Onomah, Carroll, Winks etc

What options in terms of personnel and formation do we have now?

Pick your teams and formations for these scenarios:

a) home game vs an 'easier' team who park the bus
b) home game vs a 'middle range' team who can and will try to attack at times
c) home game against a more 'savvy' top 4/6 level opponent
d) away game vs an 'easier' team who park the bus
e) away game against a 'middle range' team who can and will try to attack reasonably regularly
f) away game vs a more 'savvy' top 4/6 level opponent

Lloris, Walker, Alder, Verts, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Son, Kane against every team.

The others cover injuries and rest periods accordingly.

doing my best to not comment on GB's dropping of Eriksen (more assists & goals) for Son ... must resist ...

re @glorygloryeze ask, I think of it more like

Standard first 11 - Lloris, Walker, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane
Easy/rotation 11 - Vorm, Trippier, CCV, Wimmer, Davies, Wanyama, Winks, NKoudou, Sissoko, Son, Janssen

Reality is you will likely see adjustments to first 11 where

- Noudou, Sissoko (yes @AdamB miss on my part) could provide width/pace/directness against park the bus teams, where we could sacrifice a Dier to be more attacking, push Eriksen/Lamela more center or chose to replace one of our attacking 3 midfielders.
- Janssen is obviously an option for two upfront, but I suspect if he starts scoring in may just be a like for like, where he will be the better option with back to defenders, more physical approach.
- I suspect some combination of our new width & pace, with Trippier instead of Walker, may show us a version of Spurs that gets significantly more crosses into box, there player like Alli (making runs) and one of Kane/Janssen will have to take advantage.

Trick is to figure out the variations early, think it took us a good 3 months last season to settle, wouldn't be surprised to see the same.

I think those players and their flexibility gives us good strength in depth and ability to line up differently for different opponents or change the game. My thoughts ...

The goalkeeper and back four as you say.

Dier/Wanayama

Dembele/Sissoko/Wanyama: Wanyama can certainly play here when needed, against weaker opponents or to shut up shop or to allow a more attacking front four. There are also 4-3-3 options.

Lamela/Sissoko/Son: Sissoko can certainly play here and it would allow us to play Dier, Dembele and Sissoko all together.

Alli/Ericksen/others: Kane or Son could play here with Janssen up front making a 4-4-1-1; Sissoko or Lamela here would also provide a different look.

Ericksen/Nkoudou

Kane/Jannsen: I doubt Jannsen was bought solely as backup. If he settles we could see Kane playing off him.

I agree with @Raziel and @jts1882 that players won't necessarily cover like-for-like, but play in more than one position depending on who else gets selected (e.g. Eriksen wide or at number 10).

The short version is that we now have many options with different types of players, something we have been lacking. I think we were becoming a bit too predictable, but now we have a host of options to mix it up. The challenge is getting it right and clicking.

I agree with this piece by Ben Pierce :

TOTTENHAM: 8/10

What they needed: Better strength in depth, particularly up front and in central midfield, to give Mauricio Pochettino better options off the bench, more tactical flexibility and more faith in his reserves when key men need to be rested -- especially given the club's return to the Champions League.

Were they successful? The most important positions were filled relatively early on, with Victor Wanyama and Vincent Janssen coming in. Georges-Kevin N'Koudou and Moussa Sissoko then added pace and power to the midfield on deadline day. While it was a shame to see academy graduates Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb departing, in addition to Belgium international Nacer Chadli, none of those players looked likely to come on and change a game. The new boys just might. Spurs have probably finished the summer with their first-choice lineup unchanged, but the squad is now stronger and better equipped to fight on multiple fronts. -- Ben Pearce

Sent from my SM-G930F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Have to agree. I was sad to see Mason and Bentaleb off as well, but, on reflection, I can't deny our bench will look the stronger for the changes made, and that's probably been the point of things.

Tottenham Hotspur

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Alderweireld, Toby Albertine
*Carroll, Thomas James
*Davies, Benjamin Thomas
Dembele, Mousa
Dier, Eric Jeremy Edgar
Eriksen, Christian
Heung-Min, Son
Janssen, Vincent Petrus Anna Sebastiaan
*Kane, Harry
Lamela, Erik
Lloris, Hugo
Lopez Sabata, Pau
*Rose, Daniel Lee
Sissoko, Moussa
*Trippier, Kieran John
Vertonghen, Jan
Vorm, Michel
*Walker, Kyle Andrew
Wanyama, Victor
Wimmer, Kevin

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)

Alli, Bamidele Jermaine
Amos, Luke Ayodele
Austin, Brandon Anthony
Bennetts, Keanan Chidozie
Brown, Jaden
Carter-Vickers, Cameron
De Bie, Jonathan
Dinzeyi, Jonathan Toko Lema
Duncan, Dylan
Edwards, Marcus
Eyoma, Timothy Joel
Freeman, Charlie
Georgiou, Anthony Michael
Glover, Thomas William
Goddard, Cy
Griffiths, Reo Revaldo
Harrison, Shayon
Hinds, Tariq Devontae Aaron
Lesniak, Filip
Lock, Matthew Joseph
Loft, Ryan
Maghoma, Christian
Marsh, George Owen
Mcdermott, Thomas William
McGee, Luke Paul
Miller, William
Mukena, Joy-Richard
Muscatt, Joseph Luis
Nkoudou Mbida, Georges-Kevin
Oakley-Boothe, Tashan
Oduwa, Nathan
Ogilvie, Connor Stuart
Omolabi, Moroyin
Onomah, Joshua
Oteh, Aramide Jay
Owens, Charlie
Pritchard, Joe Cameron
Reynolds, Jamie Joe
Roles, Jack
Shashoua, Samuel
Sterling, Kazaiah
Stylianides, Zenon
Tanganga, Japhat Manzambi
Tracey, Shilow
Tsaroulla, Nicholas
Walker-Peters, Kyle
Walkes, Anton
Whiteman, Alfie
Winks, Harry

So, what starting line-ups line-ups would people have to fit the following formations: 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and 3-5-2?

Back