• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Spanish Football Thread

No discussion on here about the penalty that Barca took?

Personally, I can admire it but it still seems unsportsmanlike. Penalties are regarded as a 1v1 aspect of the game, it's the keeper trying to guess where the kicker will place the ball. I guess it's one of those "spirit of the game" arguments and everyone of us will have a different view.

Best example is probably the world cup. Germany up 5-0 at half time could've done so much more to Brazil but they decided that to score anymore would be disrespecting their opponent and so they held back. They decided to save their opponents any more embarassment and took their foot off the pedal. How would the world have reacted if Germany had really turned it on and scored 10+ goals?

I watched the 2nd half of that barca game, they were unbelievable. Then pen was great I thought. The way I see it, a penalty is awarded for a foul, so the attacking team can do what they like with it, as long as they actually try to score.

No discussion on here about the penalty that Barca took?

Personally, I can admire it but it still seems unsportsmanlike. Penalties are regarded as a 1v1 aspect of the game, it's the keeper trying to guess where the kicker will place the ball. I guess it's one of those "spirit of the game" arguments and everyone of us will have a different view.

Best example is probably the world cup. Germany up 5-0 at half time could've done so much more to Brazil but they decided that to score anymore would be disrespecting their opponent and so they held back. They decided to save their opponents any more embarassment and took their foot off the pedal. How would the world have reacted if Germany had really turned it on and scored 10+ goals?

I'm all for stuff like that, run up the score, showboat all you like, it's about more than the game you are in, you can score psychological points that may benefit you and weaken your opponents for years

however, if a tactical decision is made to dial it down in the interest of fitness for your next game
that makes perfect sense and should be applauded

I watched the 2nd half of that barca game, they were unbelievable. Then pen was great I thought. The way I see it, a penalty is awarded for a foul, so the attacking team can do what they like with it, as long as they actually try to score.

Apart from encroach into the penalty area prior to the kick being taken, as Suarez did. It all seems a bit Harlem Globetrotters to me - never get called up for minor infringements ('travelling') as it would ruin the entertainment, respectful or not to the opposition.

Would have been much funnier if they'd missed the penalty though!

Apart from encroach into the penalty area prior to the kick being taken, as Suarez did. It all seems a bit Harlem Globetrotters to me - never get called up for minor infringements ('travelling') as it would ruin the entertainment, respectful or not to the opposition.

Would have been much funnier if they'd missed the penalty though!

Hardly blame the ref for seeing that, he must've been an inch over the line at most, from what I saw on replay.

I don't see it as unsportsmanlike...

If anything I'm surprised more clubs don't try that more often. Unless you mess up the 1.5 yard pass like Pires did by mibricking the ball it seems like a good way to score.

Real AND Barcelona are as corrupt as FIFA. It is why I have no time for them or their players. Messi/Ronaldo and the rest are now just show ponies (sad I know because Messi the best I've ever seen) bought by bad debt and tax corruption. I love football and watch all the major leagues in Europe. I now dont bother with La Liga from a title point of view - still watch Villarreal, Valencia and Seville but as a league it's broken. The Spanish banks and Bale are just the tip of the iceberg IMHO.

Back