• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Spanish Football Thread

Barca transfer ban was lifted yesterday. Same day they registered 77 (!!!) new players with the Spanish football association, on all levels.

Worked well that ban.

Barca transfer ban was lifted yesterday. Same day they registered 77 (!!!) new players with the Spanish football association, on all levels.

Worked well that ban.

What would you expect the ban to do?

I think it's most certainly made things a bit more difficult for them this season.

What would you expect the ban to do?

I think it's most certainly made things a bit more difficult for them this season.

Well personally I think transfer bans like this should mean clubs are banned from doing any transfer dealings until the ban is lifted. Meaning no approaches to other clubs/players, no agreements and no contracts done while the ban is effective. Otherwise it's not a transfer ban, just a transfer delay.

Well personally I think transfer bans like this should mean clubs are banned from doing any transfer dealings until the ban is lifted. Meaning no approaches to other clubs/players, no agreements and no contracts done while the ban is effective. Otherwise it's not a transfer ban, just a transfer delay.

With the lack of transparency in the transfer market, and the control associations have over registrations (not negotiations), I think that's almost impossible to impose or enforce.

It also seems a bit over the top considering the offence they were being punished for to me.

With the lack of transparency in the transfer market, and the control associations have over registrations (not negotiations), I think that's almost impossible to impose or enforce.

It also seems a bit over the top considering the offence they were being punished for to me.

I agree it will be impossible, unfortunately. If I remember correcly, Barca was also informed about the ban early enough to make neccesary purchases in the summer 2014 transfer window, so I don't think they suffered too many difficulties from the ban. It wasn't really that much of a punishment, IMO.

I agree it will be impossible, unfortunately. If I remember correcly, Barca was also informed about the ban early enough to make neccesary purchases in the summer 2014 transfer window, so I don't think they suffered too many difficulties from the ban. It wasn't really that much of a punishment, IMO.

The punishment should fit the crime...

They got done for signing U18 players internationally without fulfilling FIFA's criteria for doing so. (parents moving with the kid). It's a breech of the rules, but not something massive in my opinion. They've been significantly hampered. Less so in the summer of 2014, though having to do all their business early probably cost them a bit financially (Vermaelen for £15m, come on). Potentially last January with them not being able to do business. And definitely this season being without Turan in particular for half the season. They've coped well, in part thanks to their excellent youth system and fantastic superstars in their team. But none the less it seems a significant punishment for what they did. Would be surprised if other clubs weren't sufficiently put off doing similar things in the future because of it.

To put it like this. Would you want Spurs to risk a similar punishment for the benefit of signing a 16-17 year old from South America without fulfilling the FIFA requirements? I sure as hell wouldn't and would be rather upset at the club if they made a mistake like that.

The punishment should fit the crime...

They got done for signing U18 players internationally without fulfilling FIFA's criteria for doing so. (parents moving with the kid). It's a breech of the rules, but not something massive in my opinion. They've been significantly hampered. Less so in the summer of 2014, though having to do all their business early probably cost them a bit financially (Vermaelen for £15m, come on). Potentially last January with them not being able to do business. And definitely this season being without Turan in particular for half the season. They've coped well, in part thanks to their excellent youth system and fantastic superstars in their team. But none the less it seems a significant punishment for what they did. Would be surprised if other clubs weren't sufficiently put off doing similar things in the future because of it.

To put it like this. Would you want Spurs to risk a similar punishment for the benefit of signing a 16-17 year old from South America without fulfilling the FIFA requirements? I sure as hell wouldn't and would be rather upset at the club if they made a mistake like that.

No of course not, and I also agree that a transfer ban seems over the top for the rule breach Barca were found guilty of. That's a different debate though. My initial point was that I think a transfer ban should be more wide reaching than it seemingly was in this case - if you're banned from signing players for some reason, I believe it should be enforced much more strongly.

No of course not, and I also agree that a transfer ban seems over the top for the rule breach Barca were found guilty of. That's a different debate though. My initial point was that I think a transfer ban should be more wide reaching than it seemingly was in this case - if you're banned from signing players for some reason, I believe it should be enforced much more strongly.

It seems to have been enforced just the way it was intended when the punishment was handed out.

Good game on SS3 now Sevilla vs Bilbao

Followed by Roma vs AC Milan 7:30 BT Europe

Last edited:
Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has been sentenced to a year in prison after being found guilty of tax evasion, according to reports in Spain.

Spanish newspaper El Mundo report Mascherano was sentenced after appearing in court on Thursday, where the former Liverpool and West Ham man was also hit with a ‎€815,000 (£629,000) fine.

The Argentina international admitted defrauding the treasury of €1.5m euros in 2011 and 2012.

The 31-year-old is likely to avoid serving the sentence and will instead have to pay an additional fine.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/mascherano-sentenced-to-year-in-prison-for-tax-evasion

Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has been sentenced to a year in prison after being found guilty of tax evasion, according to reports in Spain.

Spanish newspaper El Mundo report Mascherano was sentenced after appearing in court on Thursday, where the former Liverpool and West Ham man was also hit with a ‎€815,000 (£629,000) fine.

The Argentina international admitted defrauding the treasury of €1.5m euros in 2011 and 2012.

The 31-year-old is likely to avoid serving the sentence and will instead have to pay an additional fine.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/mascherano-sentenced-to-year-in-prison-for-tax-evasion
With years at West Ham and Liverpool its no wonder he is a crook

Yep, He's trying to stay positive but they also haven't won a league game since he started and the fans have turned against him now. He can probably stop with the Spanish lessons already ;)
Looks like he's done already. Silly appointment for a club of that size.

I always found him to be an excellent pundit but with a rather annoying air of arrogance. This may teach him a little more humility.

If he had done a good job (I know there is still time but they are now out of the CL, way off the top of the table and essentially out of the Spanish Cup now too) then there would have been a clamour for him to take over from Roy. I wonder what happens to that if he gets sacked soon.. would he just go back to Sky?

Back