• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

Let's say Lamela, had he been fit this season, had started instead of Son. Son's definitely a match changer. And if you write up Fabregas as a match changer, I don't see why Winks couldn't be considered as one, for instance. :)

But yeah, I agree that we could definitely have a stronger bench. I just don't buy that as an argument for us being below chelski. Had they had the amount of injuries we've had this season, and/or we had as few injuries they have had this season, I think we'd top the league.

I hate Fabregas as much as the rest of non-chelsea humanity, but to compare him and Winks at this stage is getting ahead of ourselves - That's not saying he won't be better.

Fab has 4 goals in the league and 9 assists.

I hate Fabregas as much as the rest of non-chelsea humanity, but to compare him and Winks at this stage is getting ahead of ourselves - That's not saying he won't be better.

Fab has 4 goals in the league and 9 assists.

I didn't know he had those stats. Fair point. :)

The wbrom and sunderland matches...long shot, but could see Sunderland with a point to prove doing something if chelsea slip up at wbrom. 2 draws....? Yes we're clutching at straws.

It is true, our squad is what has cost us - They have been able to call upon Fabreclam/Willian to change a game if needed yesterday - We have Sissoko and Janssen - our first 11 is outstanding - but the bench is weak.

Our squad has cost us?

This squad is giving us the best points total and highest finish in ages.

The squad has been brilliant. We've variously missed big players in Rose, Lamela, Toby, Jan and Kane, plus Winks and we haven't missed a beat.

Surely the point is our "bench players" are starting a lot of games where as their just get the occasional start, they have not been stretched by continual mid week games, it's no coincidence that our form has been great since we dropped out of europe.

I am convinced had we progressed in the EL to the extent United have, we would not be in the position in the League where we are now, probably in United's postion and certainly a lot closer to Arsenal. It hurt going out, but it that has meant us achieving our highest league position for 50+ years, I think it was worth it on this occasion

Our squad has cost us?

This squad is giving us the best points total and highest finish in ages.

The squad has been brilliant. We've variously missed big players in Rose, Lamela, Toby, Jan and Kane, plus Winks and we haven't missed a beat.

Sissoko/Janssen/George cost us £58 million - that is not a small amount.

No one is arguing that, what people are saying is the lack of squad has cost us this season.

The wbrom and sunderland matches...long shot, but could see Sunderland with a point to prove doing something if chelsea slip up at wbrom. 2 draws....? Yes we're clutching at straws.

Hadn't West brom been in such a rut, then we could've hoped for something, but they're in such brick form. Sunderland wouldn't have won the conference playoff with how they're playing these days, let alone chelski away. Ain't going to happen. Boro showed a bit of fight yesterday, we could always hope for a West brom pulis inspired fight, and even Watford coooould do some damage on a very good day, but long shots. I can't see it. But judging by chelskis celebrations yesterday they've already won, so let's just hope they think that. :)

Hadn't West brom been in such a rut, then we could've hoped for something, but they're in such brick form. Sunderland wouldn't have won the conference playoff with how they're playing these days, let alone chelski away. Ain't going to happen. Boro showed a bit of fight yesterday, we could always hope for a West brom pulis inspired fight, and even Watford coooould do some damage on a very good day, but long shots. I can't see it. But judging by chelskis celebrations yesterday they've already won, so let's just hope they think that. :)

They could have hardly handpicked a better quartet of matches to finish with
Like you say WBA away. A team that has been on the beach since they got 40pts
The bottom 2 at home and Watford. (Could have been marginally easier had the other match been West Ham at home!!!)

They could have hardly handpicked a better quartet of matches to finish with
Like you say WBA away. A team that has been on the beach since they got 40pts
The bottom 2 at home and Watford. (Could have been marginally easier had the other match been West Ham at home!!!)

Yeah. If only we could swap fixtures with them, then I'd be pretty hopeful of something.

Chelski did a Germany in the 90's and machined over Everton, deserved the win in the end. They looked unbeatable for a long part of the season, so credit to them for that. But ever since we beat them at new year, we've been the best team in the league by a mile.

Yeah. If only we could swap fixtures with them, then I'd be pretty hopeful of something.

Chelski did a Germany in the 90's and machined over Everton, deserved the win in the end. They looked unbeatable for a long part of the season, so credit to them for that. But ever since we beat them at new year, we've been the best team in the league by a mile.

Just our luck to have Leceister having the fairytale season last season and Chelsea regaining their mojo this season.

We have been by a distance the most consistent team over the last 2 seasons, but sadly you dont get a prize for that

Top four is guaranteed, whilst we need 1 more point to guarantee 2nd. As weekend's go this was a pretty magical one, with all of the chasing pack dropping point's.

Yes a good weekend for us, bar the Chelsea result.

But a Carlsberg one for Liverpool, as every result went their way. But who cares about that?

We can smell 2nd place now, which would be an amazing season in my eyes

Sissoko/Janssen/George cost us £58 million - that is not a small amount.

No one is arguing that, what people are saying is the lack of squad has cost us this season.

But we've had to use a load of squad players and yet we've had our best PL season.

To me that square at all with squad costing us.

Sure, we could always use quality like an Isco or whatever, but our squad players have absolutely risen to the challenge. The only exception to that would be Sissoko.

But we've had to use a load of squad players and yet we've had our best PL season.

To me that square at all with squad costing us.

Sure, we could always use quality like an Isco or whatever, but our squad players have absolutely risen to the challenge. The only exception to that would be Sissoko.

Isco would be amazing, but in my view I would rather we spent the money he would cost on 2/3 players that would improve the squad overall.

It is true, our squad is what has cost us - They have been able to call upon Fabreclam/Willian to change a game if needed yesterday - We have Sissoko and Janssen - our first 11 is outstanding - but the bench is weak.
Rubbish! Walker, Dembele, Sissoko, Janssen is not weak. Add Rose, Lamela and Winks to that and it's fudging far from weak. Cheatski don't have a better bench than that, but they've not played in Europe and have had zero injuries.

That 2-1 loss at chelsea...if we'd held out for a draw, we'd be top! But watch the highlights and it reminds you how much this team has come on. We're more aggressive, disciplined, faster in attack and have a winning mentality. With a team that are in their early 20s settling, there is tangible progress you can look back on 6 months later.

Isco would be amazing, but in my view I would rather we spent the money he would cost on 2/3 players that would improve the squad overall.
Exactly the sort of logic that sees us spread the risk over 3 mediocre players over a more sure fire success. I'd have one Isco over Sissoko, Janssen and NKoudou.

Exactly the sort of logic that sees us spread the risk over 3 mediocre players over a more sure fire success. I'd have one Isco over Sissoko, Janssen and NKoudou.

Replace Sissoko/Janssen/Nkoudou with Lanzini/Redmond/Gabiadinni (for arguments sake) and it looks a better idea

That 2-1 loss at chelsea...if we'd held out for a draw, we'd be top! But watch the highlights and it reminds you how much this team has come on. We're more aggressive, disciplined, faster in attack and have a winning mentality. With a team that are in their early 20s settling, there is tangible progress you can look back on 6 months later.

True

But we were the better team in that game although not as good as we are now

What cost us was having no fit left backs and playing champions league mid week whilst they were fresh

Last edited:
I'm still amazed how we ended up with only 71 points last season. We looked so much better than the 2012/13 team that ended up with 72. This year 77 points feels right.

Back