• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

"Mauricio Pochettino’s task is to ensure tipsy Tottenham avoid a hangover

Barney Ronay

...Even this season Tottenham could finish on 89 points, enough to win the league in nine of the past 10 seasons, and still come second. Welcome to our world, neighbours. A place where you can excel, look great, win friends, play nicely and still not cross the finish line first.

On the plus side, even in the current Spurs team there is still slack to be taken up, progress Pochettino can make. There is an inconsistency to this young team, purple periods undermined by the odd wobble. Between 15 October and 11 December last year Spurs won three of 13 matches, went out of the Champions League and the League Cup and dropped 11 points. If they could have just held on to draw at Stamford Bridge in the middle of all that they would now be top of the league.

Something similar happened the previous autumn with 13 league points dropped from 1 October to 13 December. Perhaps this is a legacy of breaking in those relentless pressing drills, finding the deeper rhythms for that game of sprints and hustle. Either way Pochettino will be aware of the dip and will work at pre-empting it next time, helped perhaps by a non-tournament summer.....

No doubt Pochettino and Daniel Levy are capable of tending to all these issues. And it is here the distinctions with Arsenal present themselves. Tottenham are a supremely well-run club these days, with the chairman’s gimlet eye fixed on every detail. Only Swansea have spent less over the past five seasons in the Premier League. Plus, of course, Spurs have Pochettino, a state of the art, tactically omnivorous coach who has been able to create an excitingly refined and flexible system within the present group of hard‑running players.

This much was apparent on Sunday where Spurs’ defensive shape revolved around Eric Dier’s versatility, a meat and potatoes player without the most refined technique but with a fine tactical awareness and the intelligence to make a defensive plan work."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/may/01/mauricio-pochettino-tipsy-tottenham-hangover

I'll do some unrealistic dreaming here, but say we closed the gap befor the last round. Even on points, but ahead on goal difference.

We are away at Hull, near the end of the game. They are already clear of relegation, but they hold us to 0-0 with Dawson and Huddlestone in the team.
Chelsea are winning at home vs Sunderland.

Do you think they would help us cross the line?
Professional or not, they played here for many years, they fought to push this club into the Champions League, they have fought against a money-doped Chelsea many times for Spurs.

Won't be the scenario at all, but I hope they would quietly have made it happen.

I'll do some unrealistic dreaming here, but say we closed the gap befor the last round. Even on points, but ahead on goal difference.

We are away at Hull, near the end of the game. They are already clear of relegation, but they hold us to 0-0 with Dawson and Huddlestone in the team.

Professional or not, they played here for many years, they fought to push this club into the Champions League, they have fought against a money-doped Chelsea many times for Spurs.

Won't be the scenario at all, but I hope they would quietly have made it happen.

A nice mis-timed challenge from Dawson on Kane in the final seconds to concede a late penalty

other clubs ex players would i'm sure, not those two though sadly

i'd take that scenario though, sunderland are a bit of a bogey team for chelsea, well as much as any team can be, and relegated teams often do well on the last day

Or even better, and more heartbreaking for Chelsea.

Somehow the gap is cut to 2pts going into the last day. We are in front at Hull going into stoppage time, as are Chelsea,and Jermain Defoe pops up with a last-gasp equaliser, and reveals a t-shirt under his top which reads ' For Tottenham'
Then we all invite Jamie Vardy round for a party...

other clubs ex players would i'm sure, not those two though sadly

i'd take that scenario though, sunderland are a bit of a bogey team for chelsea, well as much as any team can be, and relegated teams often do well on the last day

And with agent JD, who knows...

Whether it will go to the last game imay be unlikely. But if we expect the players to have the mentality to keep going, just in case, then so must we!

And with agent JD, who knows...

Whether it will go to the last game imay be unlikely. But if we expect the players to have the mentality to keep going, just in case, then so must we!

Tbh, I would be amazed if it isnt all over before we go to Leicester. I can see them lifting the trophy at home to Watford on the Monday night, dont really see Boro,WBA or Watford troubling them now.
Plus irrespective how bad they were v Everton and average at Stoke. We will see a totally different West Ham on Friday night. Wouldnt surprise me if that ended up a tougher match than United at home

C-xHt_QXYAIte8c.jpg

Jamie Carragher on why Tottenham are 'unlucky' in the title race: skysports.tv/JRwelZ

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...n-why-tottenham-are-unlucky-in-the-title-race

Chelski to win the league, scum to win the FA cup, Yanited to win the EL, we'll be deducted 10 points for fan violence at Wet Spam, and will get 4th (but get the EL because of Yanited). Thanks for changing the name of the title.

Back