• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

Consistency is the most important thing. Focus more on getting in to a routine of doing exercise and eating less, things like meal and exercise timing means nothing if you aren't consistent. There are no quick fixes.

I'm too lazy to get out of bed to run before work!

Weight loss and running. ....lets just say there isn't much I dont know about these too subjects.

As pointed out everyone has advice Auro. Listen to ALL OF IT. More importantly only take from it what works for you. Trial and error is key. Try on an empty stomach then try eating 90 minutes prior to a run. You'll find your own happy medium.

Also, a 1000 deficit will equate to 2lb of weight loss per week which is a safe loss in the early stages of weight loss. Once you've lost a bit its down to the individual to adjust and maybe decide to lose 1lb which would be 3500 deficit over the week. Remember 1lb loss is a deficit of 3500 calories.

Weight loss and running. ....lets just say there isn't much I dont know about these too subjects.

As pointed out everyone has advice Auro. Listen to ALL OF IT. More importantly only take from it what works for you. Trial and error is key. Try on an empty stomach then try eating 90 minutes prior to a run. You'll find your own happy medium.

Also, a 1000 deficit will equate to 2lb of weight loss per week which is a safe loss in the early stages of weight loss. Once you've lost a bit its down to the individual to adjust and maybe decide to lose 1lb which would be 3500 deficit over the week. Remember 1lb loss is a deficit of 3500 calories.

I don't think it's unsafe biologically, but I think 500 is easier for a beginner to manage. The person who is overweight likely has problems eating healthily and a diet that is too restrictive often leads to falling off the wagon and giving up. If the person can handle cutting their diet that significantly overnight then go for it, but I know many may struggle.

It's like one of my rather overweight friends loves going on these diets, she'll decide one day she's giving up all sugar. Three days later she has given up because it's too hard and is back to eating rubbish.

Anyone got any good resources for easy snacks and meals.

I'm good at finding the time to work out but I just can't handle the preparation it seems to take to consistently eat clean.

I need simple snack ideas and easy meals. I don't want to be getting up earlier to make complicated breakfasts or spending all my evening creating something healthy for dinner. I know people say stuff like stick to protein such as chicken and some vegetables etc. but I can only do that for so long.

It's not that I eat unhealthy in the first place, I just want to step it up a notch and find some simple ideas for those between meal snacks and things to take to work etc.

I'm good at finding the time to work out but I just can't handle the preparation it seems to take to consistently eat clean.

I need simple snack ideas and easy meals. I don't want to be getting up earlier to make complicated breakfasts or spending all my evening creating something healthy for dinner. I know people say stuff like stick to protein such as chicken and some vegetables etc. but I can only do that for so long.

It's not that I eat unhealthy in the first place, I just want to step it up a notch and find some simple ideas for those between meal snacks and things to take to work etc.

Im in exactly the same boat, only so much chicken, Tuna, turkey with salad or veg or Omlettes that I can stomach. Equally lunch time is getting tres boring

In terms of snacks, how about just nuts and fruit? No preparation required. Also, make up a huge batch of protein pancake batter and freeze it in old ketchup bottles. Take the bottle out an hour before you need it or soak it in some warm water for a few minutes to thaw, then squeeze straight in to the frying pan. No mess, super quick and you can top pancakes with anything to keep it interesting.

Thats why the Warrior diet is so good - you prepare once and once only or a couple of times in a four hour period when youre home. Simple. Once I eat I get hungrier so by not having breakfast my appetite hasnt been whetted and the longer I go without food the less hungry I generally am.

In terms of snacks, how about just nuts and fruit? No preparation required. Also, make up a huge batch of protein pancake batter and freeze it in old ketchup bottles. Take the bottle out an hour before you need it or soak it in some warm water for a few minutes to thaw, then squeeze straight in to the frying pan. No mess, super quick and you can top pancakes with anything to keep it interesting.

Yeah I need to try and eat more fruit and nuts.. just googled some easy protein pancake mixes, sounds quite easy, It's difficult to motivate myself for breakfast but if I can keep it simple then I'm sure I could stick to it better.

I'm generally ok with dinners its more getting all the calories I need by eating some snacks. When I'm at work during the day there isn't much choice and I'm a bit prone to getting hungry/bored and eating something unhealthy or buying a coke or something.

Thats why the Warrior diet is so good - you prepare once and once only or a couple of times in a four hour period when youre home. Simple. Once I eat I get hungrier so by not having breakfast my appetite hasnt been whetted and the longer I go without food the less hungry I generally am.

I'll look into.. Wasn't there something called the Caveman diet like this? Is this another version.

The idea of only eating in the evening scares me but I'll definitely read up on it.

Anyone got fitbit ? Any good ?

I've got a miband, which is chinese manufacturer Xiaomi's version. I don't doubt it's not as feature rich but a 30 day battery life is a winner in my book. Can get one for ~£15 if you want to dabble with a fitness band.

I think a fitbit would be more social and prevent you with prettier graphs etc but I'm just trying to get at least 10,000 steps a day..

that is good I like it

I don't think it's unsafe biologically, but I think 500 is easier for a beginner to manage. The person who is overweight likely has problems eating healthily and a diet that is too restrictive often leads to falling off the wagon and giving up. If the person can handle cutting their diet that significantly overnight then go for it, but I know many may struggle.

It's like one of my rather overweight friends loves going on these diets, she'll decide one day she's giving up all sugar. Three days later she has given up because it's too hard and is back to eating rubbish.

The person who is overweight doesn't have problems eating healthily they often choose not to. A deficit of 1000 calories if you're obese will often mean you can eat over 2000 a day anyway hardly under eating now. As I say losing weight is very easy if the individual wants to.

I ran 10.6 miles tonight, hard work but enjoyed the run. :D Really enjoying the running, looking forward to my first Half Marathon which is coming up inside the next few months.

I don't mean to come across agressively here, and this certainly isn't aimed at you personally, but its blanket statements like the one in bold that have the fitness industry in such a mess and promote a 'quick fix' mentality.

You can't say a 1000 deficit will equate to 2lb a week without knowning who you are saying it to. Until you know someones basal metabolic rate, sex, age, body fat %, activity levels, current calorie levels and a whole host of other things, you cannot accurately predict how much or how little someone will lose compared to the deficit they are on. A morbidly obese female is completely different to a standard desk job male carrying a little excess weight to a guy who goes to the gym three times a week and is looking to shed the last couple of pounds of bodyfat.

When you say a 1000cal deficit, are you talking 1000cals per day or per week?

The person who is overweight doesn't have problems eating healthily they often choose not to. A deficit of 1000 calories if you're obese will often mean you can eat over 2000 a day anyway hardly under eating now. As I say losing weight is very easy if the individual wants to.

that's what i thought for 35 years Roy...that there is choice in the matter. I do not think that anymore.

With respect guys as I don't know you everyone has a choice, eat at a deficit you WILL lose weight and it is not a blanket statement - eat at a deficit of 1000 calories per day and you'll lose 2lb per week. Science is why and it is the exact opposite to a quick fix.

The latest fad diet with a fancy name or supplement pills will not see you lose weight and If they do guess what it'll come straight back on in months.

With respect guys as I don't know you everyone has a choice, eat at a deficit you WILL lose weight and it is not a blanket statement - eat at a deficit of 1000 calories per day and you'll lose 2lb per week. Science is why and it is the exact opposite to a quick fix.

The latest fad diet with a fancy name or supplement pills will not see you lose weight and If they do guess what it'll come straight back on in months.

Yeh I agree with the sentiment here. I am now making a lifestyle change myself so that cutting sugar, drinking more water, exercising when free time is a norm not just till I hit my goals.

CICO does not work for a large part of the population nowadays due to the exponential proliferation of Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin Resistance, T2 Diabetes, NAFLD and PCOS. Once the bio-chemical metabolic pathways are impaired or out-of-sync, the "choice" aspects ceases to exist. For these people, a combination of proper education, proper nutrition and in most cases (temporarily) medication need to be applied to see meaningful results. With all the research and scientific papers published in the last 20 years as well as the review of papers in the last 40 years that started this global epidemic, "everyone has a choice" has become too simplistic. Diabetes.co.uk for example has 130,000 members, a large percentage of which are/were obese and I have not seen a single post that advocates CICO as a solution.

Back