• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***The official health and fitness thread***

What kind of strength training you into?

I did a Strength and conditioning class last year but change in work means I can't get to the blooming thing. I am doing a full body programme but am probably gonna jack some of it in for MetaFit classes

Nothing too amazing.

I do upper body on one day - chest presses, military presses, lateral raises, shoulder dips, front raises, triceps, bicep curls etc

Then lower body on another - squats, Kettlebell swings, deadlifts, core work (planks, crunches, etc) etc

I do each twice a week plus HITT three times a week. I havent perfected my form yet but will get there over time hopefully.

Nice one, I reckon my forms all over the place to be honest, I will invest in a few PT sessions soon enough

This year I've started running a lot again. So far, I've run 26 miles, not huge to regular long distance runners, perhaps, but a good start to the year for me.

I've run: 4x 5km
One 6 and half mile run & one seven and half mile run. I hadn't been running for a few months pre Christmas, so good to get back in to it!

I've decided that once I've lost about a stone in weight, then I'm going to take to the gym and work hard on toning up upper body muscle.

Yet you got a hottie mate (im presuming the girl in the avatar is yours of course ;))

Mate exercise is key, whilst the major aspect is diet, strength training is so important. I neglected it at the start which resulted in losing a bit of muscle. So I had to gain weight to gain some of the muscle I lost. Now im just only doing strength training to maintain the muscle whilst I lose a bit more fat.

:D..only mine when i ****..

i know you're right about the resistance training.. though..the weight is coming off slowly but surely.. to be honest it is difficult to get motivated when doing nothing is working well..i even got myself a treadmill. but that's been sitting idle for almost two months now. so forget about going to the gym for the time being..

Last edited:
Why do people buy treadmills? Get your ass out of the sofa & run parks/roads nearby, it's much better to run outside.

I lost 5 stone in 2013 and have kept it off so feel im in a position to pitch in. Firstly im in Katie Hopkins camp with regards to overweight people - there are no excuses. Make it happen.

HIIT is ok, lifting weights are ok blah blah blah but if you wanna lose weight just work out your TDEE and subtract 1000 calories and log them. Walk 3 miles a day. You'll lose weight.

No problem.

I'm pretty sure a stripper I got a lappy from 2 weeks ago was in my spin class this morning.

I saw her at the local shops in her gym gear last week and couldn't believe it. Now this.

At least I think it's her. Looks like her but there's a difference between all tarted up in a dark smokey strip club and the shops/gym. Plus I wasn't really looking at her face in the club. Only way I can be sure is she was from Northern England (Hull?) and had a thick accent. So need to get her to talk.

Still, has got me motivated to make it to the class every week.

Years ago when I used to do these, the instructor had massive cans. I swear the room was full of dudes enjoying the show as she bent over on her bike and jiggled about as she was sprinting.

Just finished an 8 mile cross country run...hard work! First time I've run that distance in...maybe the first time that I've ran that far, ever!

I started the year weighing 14st 6lbs, will be interesting to see what I weigh tomorrow. I want to get my weight down to 12 stone 10lbs if I can.

Just finished an 8 mile cross country run...hard work! First time I've run that distance in...maybe the first time that I've ran that far, ever!

I started the year weighing 14st 6lbs, will be interesting to see what I weigh tomorrow. I want to get my weight down to 12 stone 10lbs if I can.

Nice one! Doing an 8-miler this afternoon, same as you, can't remember the last time I've run that far.

I lost 5 stone in 2013 and have kept it off so feel im in a position to pitch in. Firstly im in Katie Hopkins camp with regards to overweight people - there are no excuses. Make it happen.

HIIT is ok, lifting weights are ok blah blah blah but if you wanna lose weight just work out your TDEE and subtract 1000 calories and log them. Walk 3 miles a day. You'll lose weight.

No problem.

Congrats mate... always tough so five stone is excellent.

Regards your point - thats way too simplistic though. You will lose weight I agree but weight doesnt necessarily mean fat loss only, you will have lost alot of muscle therefore your TDEE in future will go down as a result... hence people who diet also gain weight eventually. Ive yo yoed because of that very reason. Resistance training helps maintain the muscle and stablises your TDEE somewhat...

1k cal (or more) deficit a day is fine if youre seriously obese but if youre 15/16/17 stone, definitely resistance training with a deficit of round 750 a day would be something that works. Cardio or walking? you may lose 300kcal for the exercise, but just cut it out of your diet and dont do the cardio - unless you want to strengthen and condition your heart.

Perfect example look at runners... Usain Bolt big and muscular... Mo Farrow - a lamp post.

Nice one! Doing an 8-miler this afternoon, same as you, can't remember the last time I've run that far.

Good luck with your run, trick is to start at an easy pace, can always up it later on. I'm happy to be doing that distance, the speed isn't important to me...yet. Where do you go running?

Regards your point - thats way too simplistic though. You will lose weight I agree but weight doesnt necessarily mean fat loss only, you will have lost alot of muscle therefore your TDEE in future will go down as a result... hence people who diet also gain weight eventually. Ive yo yoed because of that very reason. Resistance training helps maintain the muscle and stablises your TDEE somewhat...

1k cal (or more) deficit a day is fine if youre seriously obese but if youre 15/16/17 stone, definitely resistance training with a deficit of round 750 a day would be something that works. Cardio or walking? you may lose 300kcal for the exercise, but just cut it out of your diet and dont do the cardio - unless you want to strengthen and condition your heart.

Perfect example look at runners... Usain Bolt big and muscular... Mo Farrow - a lamp post.

Yep some decent points but for weight loss its simply move more eat less. Weigh your food and log it. Read labels, understand calories and my favourite saying - Food to function not feast. Strength training is important as you lose weight but not initially.

I lost 4/5 stone just by counting calories and walking 3 miles 5 times a week for 5 months then lost the final stone by taking up running which I intend to start again once my GP says I can.

Its not difficult to lose weight the key is do you want it enough.

Good luck with your run, trick is to start at an easy pace, can always up it later on. I'm happy to be doing that distance, the speed isn't important to me...yet. Where do you go running?

Thanks mate. I agree, time isn't important it's getting it's the end distance goal. I had a hairy moment towards the end, didn't realise just how steep an incline was into the final two miles!

At the moment I'm street running in my local area in North London. There's a good couple of loops and some nice-sized parks that I can do 3-5 milers without actually getting too far from my house. Today I just went on a loop further out for the added miles. Made a bit of a mistake food-wise though, had a protein-filled breakfast rather than carb-loading before running. Didn't seem to affect me too much as a one-off.

I was running 3-6 miles last year Auro and didn't particularly pay attention to WHAT I ate before running. Just made sure I was full an hour before I ran. I believe there's too much emphasis on what we should or shouldn't do o just kept it simple and was running 10-20 every week.

I was running 3-6 miles last year Auro and didn't particularly pay attention to WHAT I ate before running. Just made sure I was full an hour before I ran. I believe there's too much emphasis on what we should or shouldn't do o just kept it simple and was running 10-20 every week.

Thanks mate, I think you could be right for sure. I have perhaps made the mistake of going onto runners' forums and listening to too many differing opinions as opposed to just listening to my body! I'm not a pro athlete by any means, and my diet isn't particularly unhealthy so perhaps I should concentrate more on that rather than being so anal about pre-post fuel.

Thanks mate, I think you could be right for sure. I have perhaps made the mistake of going onto runners' forums and listening to too many differing opinions as opposed to just listening to my body! I'm not a pro athlete by any means, and my diet isn't particularly unhealthy so perhaps I should concentrate more on that rather than being so anal about pre-post fuel.

Yeh the thing with advise is everyone is at different stages and what works for some doesn't work for others.

When I was running a lot I ran on an empty stomach as it was a comfort thing, I couldn't eat before. That would not be in any book to follow haha

I agree, I think a 1000 calorie deficit is a lot. Of course your maintenance calories will go down as you lose weight, it needs to be constantly adjusted.

tumblr_niekhpHtfm1ririjeo1_500.jpg

In terms of weight loss macro nutrients are irrelevant, but obviously body composition is going to be affected if your deficit diet consists of Doritos and Twinkies.

I've been told I should go running in the morning on an empty stomach as that will mean I burn fat

Consistency is the most important thing. Focus more on getting in to a routine of doing exercise and eating less, things like meal and exercise timing means nothing if you aren't consistent. There are no quick fixes.

Consistency is the most important thing. Focus more on getting in to a routine of doing exercise and eating less, things like meal and exercise timing means nothing if you aren't consistent. There are no quick fixes.

Yeh I was reading this today, there was a fitness spread in the MEtro and one of the biggest bits of advice was set a routine that's consistent, even if its going out for 3 miles 4 times a week

Back