• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Top goal from a top player

80 goals in 2 seasons is no coincidence

He's not a top player at all. He's one of the most limited strikers around (well strikers that play for big teams anyway) and has nothing to add to a teams general play bar goals. That's all good if he's playing for a top team that creates loads (which he is) but put him in a mediocre team and you'd think he's League two standard.

He s a classic poacher - not sure what passing stats have to do with his efficiency as a goal scorer

Unlike at Munich he has two goalscorers either side of him in Podolski and Muller. When Klose plays he brings them into the game, when Gomez plays he doesn't.
Gomez is better suited to playing in a side with wingers like Munich, Klose is better suited to playing in this German side.

Unlike at Munich he has two goalscorers either side of him in Podolski and Muller. When Klose plays he brings them into the game, when Gomez plays he doesn't.
Gomez is better suited to playing in a side with wingers like Munich, Klose is better suited to playing in this German side.

Muller on the right doesn't work.

Everybody in football bums the 4-3-3 formation, but it means you can only play with 1 striker in a central position. Then you get the strikers get the hump because they get shunted out wide, Villa, Sturridge, Torres have all moaned about not being played in the middle.

What is the point of having a talent like Ronaldo and playing so negatively?

I don't get the mindset of playing cautiously, go for it for fudge sake!!

He's not a top player at all. He's one of the most limited strikers around (well strikers that play for big teams anyway) and has nothing to add to a teams general play bar goals. That's all good if he's playing for a top team that creates loads (which he is) but put him in a mediocre team and you'd think he's League two standard.
Sorry - but i dont agree with thia logic at all.

I can only assume your viewing exposure of him has been limited to the odd CL game.

He s an excellent finisher and can work with very little - a very good focal point and reasonably strong on the ball

Oh, and i d take a 40 goal striker at Spurs any day even if that a all he added!

I can only assume your viewing exposure of him has been limited to the odd CL game.

He s an excellent finisher and can work with very little - a very good focal point and reasonably strong on the ball

Oh, and i d take a 40 goal striker at Spurs any day even if that a all he added!

He had a great record at Stuttgart also.

Muller on the right doesn't work.

Everybody in football bums the 4-3-3 formation, but it means you can only play with 1 striker in a central position. Then you get the strikers get the hump because they get shunted out wide, Villa, Sturridge, Torres have all moaned about not being played in the middle.

It worked in the last world cup. How many did he score?

yeh CL and the ESPN weekly Bundesliga review show tbh.

From what i've seen he's not an excellent finisher (despite his goals to game ratio). He has excellent heading skills i give him that and his positional play in terms of being in the right place at the right time is good too (his positional play in general when his team are defending or simply when his team are passing the ball around is absolutely non existent though). His link up play (or lack of it) is repulsive also.

fudge me Mario Gomez is the personification of average

bad hold up play on the regular..average at best
poor movement, average at best
terrible team play and engagement, average at best
good finisher

i would actually love to see how Bent and Defoe get on in that bayern munich team

saw more from the young portuguese kid in 10 minutes than Gomez in his 80 minutes

serves me right taking the word of others over what my eyes tell me , especially when one of these people i considered to have decent knowledge has been proven to be a WUM.

funny thing is that i knew he would score the second that cross got deflected , i was like "typical , bet you he scores after an abysmal game"

that guy is NOT what i want at my team.

to think the WUM called him world class....you just have to laugh at how thick some people are. apparently lewandowski is a headless chicken touching the ball in areas that dont matter, but Gomez? oh noooo, he's a super duper player that only needs to touch the ball when he needs to...or some brick like that

Yeah and when Bale goes we should get Ronaldo too.

fallon-sarcastic-clap.gif

Is the below the fundamentals before matchday 2

You can substitute your whole bench on as long as they have not played, as well as swap captain to someone yet to play,
Players moved to bench get zero.
You get 1 transfer before matchday 2 starts

The manager rallied Three Lions stars as England prepared to tackle France tomorrow amid a 90?? F heatwave currently scorching Ukraine.

But The Sun can reveal Football Association chiefs have already chartered a jet to bring the players back the day after their group game against Ukraine on June 19.

They insist it is NOT because they expect the team to be dumped out of the tournament early.

And they claim it is just standard contingency procedure.

But ex-England star Alan Mullery called the booking ÔÇ£a bit strangeÔÇØ. He said: ÔÇ£As a player I wouldnÔÇÖt like it.ÔÇØ

The Titan Airways flight is due to leave Krakow, EnglandÔÇÖs base in Poland, on June 20.

It is scheduled to land in Manchester at 4pm before heading on to LondonÔÇÖs Stansted airport. The FA refused to comment last nigh

Gomez certainly isn't a league two player. What nonsense.

His finishing isn't quite clinical enough to put him in the real world class category, but he has it all; strength, decent finishing, strong in the air, good positioning and is really deceptively quick.

If anyone thinks Bent could do a similiar job then its just a casr of them not watching German football on a regular basis im afraid. He is a quality striker.

His finishing isn't quite clinical enough to put him in the real world class category, but he has it all; strength, decent finishing, strong in the air, good positioning and is really deceptively quick.

If anyone thinks Bent could do a similiar job then its just a casr of them not watching German football on a regular basis im afraid. He is a quality striker.

Reminds me of the old Ibrahimovic debates on here - many argued he's utter brick because every time he played against an English side in the CL (their only live exposure of him) he looked poor and didn't score a hat-trick.

Irrespective of his 1 in 2 record at the top clubs throughout his career or the 25 goals a season average. Perception goes a long way.

Much like Gomez couldn't against Chelsea last month - how brick must he be! Oh wait, he scored 15 goals in the CL last season up to that game and was one of the biggest reasons they were in the final in the first place!

If we had a striker who scored 80 goals in 2 season for us and someone called him a League 2 player it would be 'questioned' to say the least.

guilty as charged, that was the only thing that made me doubt what i saw some 4 years earlier, but now? better chance of convincing me that sol campbell had spurs' interest at heart when he stabbed us in it.

but i think cause bent can finish, he'd do similar, probably not as good but similar. and thats just me being conservative.

i can tell you dont want to go through a merry go round and to be honest you'd pretty much have all the cards and true knowledge cause you watch the german league

but i have not seen anything of Gomez that remotely makes me think he is anything special. i certainly wouldn't want him here with us.

when you say 'strong in the air' do you mean all things ariel? and when you say good positioning do you mean all over the pitch? including build up and transition and being a focal point to change attacking avenues etc? and what do you think of his movement?

decent finishing? give a comparison to someone that we know

deceptively quick? again another comaprison would be nice....is he faster than Ade? bent? defoe? ..on the lower scale.....morrison, holt, VDV, carrol etc.

Back