• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

Game over to win PL this season then?

I don't think so. I think Chelsea will draw both games against Arsenal and Liverpool and we will win both of ours which will leave us 5 points adrift. It does make Liverpool a must win game but both teams will feel that way so it should make for a cracking match. Also, no guarantee that Chelsea will win at Burnley, they could draw that as well which would leave us 3 points behind if we were to win at Anfield.

All to play for imo..........imagine if they were to lose both those games? Even a win against Burnley would only give them a 5 point cushion if we were to take 7 points from our next 3.

I don't think so. I think Chelsea will draw both games against Arsenal and Liverpool and we will win both of ours which will leave us 5 points adrift. It does make Liverpool a must win game but both teams will feel that way so it should make for a cracking match. Also, no guarantee that Chelsea will win at Burnley, they could draw that as well which would leave us 3 points behind if we were to win at Anfield.

All to play for imo..........imagine if they were to lose both those games? Even a win against Burnley would only give them a 5 point cushion if we were to take 7 points from our next 3.

This way leads to madness...................

This way leads to madness...................

It certainly does, but I wouldn't give up on the title yet. No saying that we will be closest to them but it isn't done by a long chalk imo. Having said that, if Chelsea were to win both games against Liverpool and Arsenal then I think in all honesty it will be done regardless of what we do.

I had someone tell me of a friend of his who was like this a long time ago - late noughties. Incredibly ,he supported West Brom. Apparently, come the crunch time at the end of the season, he would always get his battered scientific calculator out alongside a laminated list of fixtures and carefully compute probable wins, probable draws and probable losses, always taking care to compare West Brom's form to their fellow relegation battlers and carefully marking 50-50 games, likely wins, likely losses etc. as such.

At the conclusion of the exercise, nearly every time, he'd arrive at the conclusion that they were sunk. But then, in the weeks afterward, he'd start talking about alternate possibilities - what if they could sneak a point against O'Neill's counter-attacking Villa side, what if they could scrape a last minute winner against a mid-table team, what if they could exploit Arsenal's soft underbelly at the Emirates and score off a corner before going full two-banks-of-four....

Eventually, he'd work himself up into a positive lather and start swaggering around confident in West Brom's ability to beat the drop with panache and style - they were a team of tigers, raring to go, and all it would take to set them off on their run was one of the eventualities of an unlikely point or win gamed out by him in the previous weeks. He told everyone who'd listen that they'd all see come the next game...they'd all see that he was right.

And then they would get ritually slaughtered in their next game, and he would apparently go back and start puttering about with his calculator and laminated list of fixtures all over again.

Point being, as @K.D.D.D.D.Soc pointed out, that way lies madness. :p

I had someone tell me of a friend of his who was like this a long time ago - late noughties. Incredibly ,he supported West Brom. Apparently, come the crunch time at the end of the season, he would always get his battered scientific calculator out alongside a laminated list of fixtures and carefully compute probable wins, probable draws and probable losses, always taking care to compare West Brom's form to their fellow relegation battlers and carefully marking 50-50 games, likely wins, likely losses etc. as such.

At the conclusion of the exercise, nearly every time, he'd arrive at the conclusion that they were sunk. But then, in the weeks afterward, he'd start talking about alternate possibilities - what if they could sneak a point against O'Neill's counter-attacking Villa side, what if they could scrape a last minute winner against a mid-table team, what if they could exploit Arsenal's soft underbelly at the Emirates and score off a corner before going full two-banks-of-four....

Eventually, he'd work himself up into a positive lather and start swaggering around confident in West Brom's ability to beat the drop with panache and style - they were a team of tigers, raring to go, and all it would take to set them off on their run was one of the eventualities of an unlikely point or win gamed out by him in the previous weeks. He told everyone who'd listen that they'd all see come the next game...they'd all see that he was right.

And then they would get ritually slaughtered in their next game, and he would apparently go back and start puttering about with his calculator and laminated list of fixtures all over again.

Point being, as @K.D.D.D.D.Soc pointed out, that way lies madness. :p
I'd say he just secretly enjoyed it. A hidden guilty pleasure like whips, custard, or Abba songs.

About the only thing predictable in this league is Arsenal scoring a late winner.

Ha ha ha.

This is what fans do. Contemplate the possibilities. It's what most of us have had to do to become and remain Spurs fans. Wouldn't it be far worse to go through life glumly accepting foregone conclusions?

I prefer to be optimistic about our next game and hope we do well, I rarely look to see who other teams are playing and don't need to check on United or Liverpool as I will be told at every opportunity by the media.

Back