• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

Right. I'm jumping onto this boat rather late, but I think there are a few aspects that needs to be brought forward:

1. The BBC has dug itself a hole. The issue GL commented on is no longer the main problem here, the role and reputation of the BBC is. Just take the fact that the BBC is making changes to their broadcasting schedule because they are afraid of reactions from conservative politicians and conservative media, roll that around in your mouth and taste it. You have the public broadcaster, whose purpose it is to be watchdog, to be critical of the beings in power, and to be the bastion of hope in the mudpool of journalistic brick, they make changes to their schedule to avoid being rapped over the knuckles by their strict headmaster. The BBC needs to stop digging, buckle up, and say it straight: "Damn your eyes, we're not having it, sir! You (the political establishment) can not set our agenda and tell us what we can or cannot do. That's what the regulatory bodies are there for, and they will deal with complaints in due course. In the meantime, Mr. Lineker will continue his job, and his tweeting if he so wishes."

2. MoTD without commentary going up: Sure. First week, of course the ratings go up. Just about every cretin in the land who ever had an opinion on football (or not) would tune in, just to have a look-see. But where is the longevity of that? As other have pointed out, if all we want is to see all the goals one more time, I'm quite sure Youtube or even the clubs own apps will be more than happy to oblige. But then we lose something. We lose the editor, who picks out the key moments, those who actually can make a game turn, get new angles to a controversial decision, or just a different perspective. And, you will lose the character-building experience it is to actually have to wait for your own team to appear, while you're forced to watch Arsenal, ManUtd or some other drivel-team play.
I'm 100% certain that if the BBC starts messing about with the MoTD-formula and think they can ditch the commentators and so-called experts analyzing the game they will regret it bitterly down the line. The majority of football fans do actually need someone to point out what appears to be obvious to them every now and then, for them to be able to shout "that is bleedin obvious" while shaking a fist at the TV, because in 9 of 10 cases, they would not have thought about it for a second if nobody told them.
Of course, this does not apply to the knowledgeable and esteemed clienteles of this revered web-forum, but everyone else. Of course! And only fans of other teams. But won't someone please think of the Children!! ahem..

And by the way, Gary is 100% spot on with his tweet. It does not even have to be about whether you are pro-immigration or anti-immigration, or what have you. To be sceptical of people having to cross bodies of water in questionable ways is not wrong.
To create legislation to prevent that activity may not be wrong either, it may in fact be a very good thing to do.
But to punish those at the bottom for the failings of the society? I really thought we as a civilization had progressed beyond that, but alas..

If the conservatives want more brilliant laws from the previous centuries they can bring back, I'm sure they will find plenty of inspiration in the 1834 Poor Law, with the current inflation and rise in costs of living, there should be no problem filling the quota for the workhouses. And heck, while we're at it, maybe they even can find a new colony to send their convicts to. (hello, Rwanda!).

This became far more political than intended. Since this is a football forum first and foremost, focus on point 2 and ignore my other drivel. :)

phenomenal post.

Leaving aside the actual subject matter in this instance, why on earth would anyone work for the BBC in a non news-related role if they can’t express a political opinion If they feel so inclined? The BBC employs a huge number of presenters and actors across all of its light entertainment, sport and drama output. It’s just not feasible to have such restrictions. It’s pretty clear that what Lineker has said is his own opinion, not a BBC position. If the BBC is worried about impartiality then just stick to mews reporting where they can justifiably impose restrictions on opinion-led pronouncements.

Why? £££.

It's a contract they agreed to. There are other broadcasters they can work for. Lineker also worked for bein sports. The qatari network.

Why? £££.

It's a contract they agreed to. There are other broadcasters they can work for. Lineker also worked for bein sports. The qatari network.

But it’s not in the contract, otherwise it would be cut and dried. The guidelines don’t clearly cover non-journalist staff. If contracts were explicit about not professing any personal opinions, the BBC would soon find itself pretty short of presenting staff.

But it’s not in the contract, otherwise it would be cut and dried. The guidelines don’t clearly cover non-journalist staff. If contracts were explicit about not professing any personal opinions, the BBC would soon find itself pretty short of presenting staff.

If it's not in the contract, lineker should sue. Earn a fortune.

Right. I'm jumping onto this boat rather late, but I think there are a few aspects that needs to be brought forward:

1. The BBC has dug itself a hole. The issue GL commented on is no longer the main problem here, the role and reputation of the BBC is. Just take the fact that the BBC is making changes to their broadcasting schedule because they are afraid of reactions from conservative politicians and conservative media, roll that around in your mouth and taste it. You have the public broadcaster, whose purpose it is to be watchdog, to be critical of the beings in power, and to be the bastion of hope in the mudpool of journalistic brick, they make changes to their schedule to avoid being rapped over the knuckles by their strict headmaster. The BBC needs to stop digging, buckle up, and say it straight: "Damn your eyes, we're not having it, sir! You (the political establishment) can not set our agenda and tell us what we can or cannot do. That's what the regulatory bodies are there for, and they will deal with complaints in due course. In the meantime, Mr. Lineker will continue his job, and his tweeting if he so wishes."

2. MoTD without commentary going up: Sure. First week, of course the ratings go up. Just about every cretin in the land who ever had an opinion on football (or not) would tune in, just to have a look-see. But where is the longevity of that? As other have pointed out, if all we want is to see all the goals one more time, I'm quite sure Youtube or even the clubs own apps will be more than happy to oblige. But then we lose something. We lose the editor, who picks out the key moments, those who actually can make a game turn, get new angles to a controversial decision, or just a different perspective. And, you will lose the character-building experience it is to actually have to wait for your own team to appear, while you're forced to watch Arsenal, ManUtd or some other drivel-team play.
I'm 100% certain that if the BBC starts messing about with the MoTD-formula and think they can ditch the commentators and so-called experts analyzing the game they will regret it bitterly down the line. The majority of football fans do actually need someone to point out what appears to be obvious to them every now and then, for them to be able to shout "that is bleedin obvious" while shaking a fist at the TV, because in 9 of 10 cases, they would not have thought about it for a second if nobody told them.
Of course, this does not apply to the knowledgeable and esteemed clienteles of this revered web-forum, but everyone else. Of course! And only fans of other teams. But won't someone please think of the Children!! ahem..

And by the way, Gary is 100% spot on with his tweet. It does not even have to be about whether you are pro-immigration or anti-immigration, or what have you. To be sceptical of people having to cross bodies of water in questionable ways is not wrong.
To create legislation to prevent that activity may not be wrong either, it may in fact be a very good thing to do.
But to punish those at the bottom for the failings of the society? I really thought we as a civilization had progressed beyond that, but alas..

If the conservatives want more brilliant laws from the previous centuries they can bring back, I'm sure they will find plenty of inspiration in the 1834 Poor Law, with the current inflation and rise in costs of living, there should be no problem filling the quota for the workhouses. And heck, while we're at it, maybe they even can find a new colony to send their convicts to. (hello, Rwanda!).

This became far more political than intended. Since this is a football forum first and foremost, focus on point 2 and ignore my other drivel. :)
Contender for post of the year.

If there was a new category of "posts more than a paragraph long" that is.

I thought it was quite funny that MOTD went straight to the “where would Spurs be without Kane and Son” tagline last night and shows the level of punditry. The BBC really missed a trick to not freshen things up during the revolt last month, perfect opportunity to clear the decks and become less of an old boys club trotting out cliches and their poorly hidden biases.

to ask where would Spurs be without Son this season is beyond parody!

I thought it was quite funny that MOTD went straight to the “where would Spurs be without Kane and Son” tagline last night and shows the level of punditry. The BBC really missed a trick to not freshen things up during the revolt last month, perfect opportunity to clear the decks and become less of an old boys club trotting out cliches and their poorly hidden biases.

Any program that spends considerably more time talking than they show of the actual games is a joke.

Where would any team be without two of their more influential players?

This may be a bit controversial because the guy is class and irreplaceable. But if we lost Kane, we won’t end up back in mid table.

Kane gives us a lot. Undoubtedly. He’s world class. But there are also some things that he doesn’t do well (pressing, mobility) and he limits how we can play.

Would we not be allowed to replace them with two other players if we didn't have them? Where would City be without Haaland and KDB?
Most commentary is shocking, just repeating the same old thing with no research or proper analysis done.

Then you just get a professional presenter trotting out the "cliches" instead.

Besides, if you take off the Spurs goggles think the fact is, we have been too reliant on Kane this season. We haven't even been able to get anything out of either Son or Richarlison. Whereas Arse coped fine without Jesus' and Emirates Marketing Project smashed Liverpool without Haarland. The best teams are not reliant on one player or even 2 they have an effective system.

Last edited:
This may be a bit controversial because the guy is class and irreplaceable. But if we lost Kane, we won’t end up back in mid table.

Kane gives us a lot. Undoubtedly. He’s world class. But there are also some things that he doesn’t do well (pressing, mobility) and he limits how we can play.

Sorry mate I disagree. If we don't replace him properly we will be mid table. It's not just his goals we need someone to spread the play like he does too. He plays the Eriksen and Kane role these days. Not sure what player numbers on the pitch that corresponds to.

Sorry mate I disagree. If we don't replace him properly we will be mid table. It's not just his goals we need someone to spread the play like he does too. He plays the Eriksen and Kane role these days. Not sure what player numbers on the pitch that corresponds to.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I suspect most fans and neutrals would disagree with me.

I’m not for a second saying I want to lose him. I love the guy. But he sometimes frustrates me a bit and he coughs up possession a bit more than he used to. And yesterday, Skipp beat 3 or 4 players, had no one in support and Kane was just ambling 10 yards behind him when he should have been busting a gut to offer support.

Playing front foot, pressing football wouldn’t be suited to Kanes game IMO. Maybe a different striker (and manager) allows us to do it. And not having one dominant superstar allows more of a team dynamic to build like when Kane first burst onto the scene.

Or maybe I’m trying to rationalise his inevitable departure.

Then you just get a professional presenter trotting out the "cliches" instead.

Besides, if you take off the Spurs goggles think the fact is, we have been too reliant on Kane this season. We haven't even been able to get anything out of either Son or Richarlison. Whereas Arse coped fine without Jesus' and Emirates Marketing Project smashed Liverpool without Haarland.
I think we have been too reliant on Kane this season, absolutely, because we’ve been carrying Son all season, yet MOTD were making out we’d be much lower if it wasn’t for Kane AND Son. Apologies if I wasn’t clear in my first post.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s fair enough. I suspect most fans and neutrals would disagree with me.

I’m not for a second saying I want to lose him. I love the guy. But he sometimes frustrates me a bit and he coughs up possession a bit more than he used to. And yesterday, Skipp beat 3 or 4 players, had no one in support and Kane was just ambling 10 yards behind him when he should have been busting a gut to offer support.

Playing front foot, pressing football wouldn’t be suited to Kanes game IMO. Maybe a different striker (and manager) allows us to do it. And not having one dominant superstar allows more of a team dynamic to build like when Kane first burst onto the scene.

Or maybe I’m trying to rationalise his inevitable departure.

there have been a few times lately where he's been the nearest Spur to an opposition player in possession but made no effort to close them down

he doesn't need to tear around like he used to, although that would be nice, but don't let someone 5 yards away take their time

there have been a few times lately where he's been the nearest Spur to an opposition player in possession but made no effort to close them down

he doesn't need to tear around like he used to, although that would be nice, but don't let someone 5 yards away take their time
And that is a reason to get rid? Blimey tough crowd.

Back