• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

Thought it was good. Reminded me of euronews where they did the no comment bit and just showed footage.

Could be the future.

No extended highlights. The whole show is just 19 minutes today.

I like this format. Just the football and no filler.

It does illustrate how little actual football the BBC have rights for. Even the 19 minutes included replays, so there was probably about 15 minutes of game time. No wonder they pay Lineker and co so much as they normally pad this out to an hour or more, and Linkers wages are a pittance compared to what they pay for the 15 minutes of football.

My impression is that MOTD normally includes longer excerpts of the game, but match coverage includes the introduction with team listings and more shots of shirt-tugging and wrestling at corners, arguing with the referee, and celebrations, which is where the commentator is useful. The actual football does its own talking.

It does illustrate how little actual football the BBC have rights for. Even the 19 minutes included replays, so there was probably about 15 minutes of game time. No wonder they pay Lineker and co so much as they normally pad this out to an hour or more, and Linkers wages are a pittance compared to what they pay for the 15 minutes of football.

My impression is that MOTD normally includes longer excerpts of the game, but match coverage includes the introduction with team listings and more shots of shirt-tugging and wrestling at corners, arguing with the referee, and celebrations, which is where the commentator is useful. The actual football does its own talking.

Its an interesting change but most people have already seen the goals before MOTD, most are on youtube and on SS channels before, not that I agree with all they say I watch MOTD for more than just watching the goals personally

So Graham Norton can’t make jokes about the government at the start of his show? Scrap Have I Got News For You?
That's programmed by the BBC, they can balance that (although are fairly poor at doing so, but the principle remains).

What is said outside of their programming can't be balanced with alternative views. The two things are not nearly the same.

That was the best MOTD there's been in a long time. I watched the same amount of football without having to forward through all the crap.

Back