• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

agree with most of that

it's not handball for me, contact was accidental rather than intentional

I know that's the wording of the rule but I think nowadays the rule is usually and correctly in my opinion, interpreted to be that if you gain an advantage from the ball touching your hand/arm then it's a handball. He basically diverted a ball going wide in to an empty net with his elbow, clear handball if ref sees it.

I know that's the wording of the rule but I think nowadays the rule is usually and correctly in my opinion, interpreted to be that if you gain an advantage from the ball touching your hand/arm then it's a handball. He basically diverted a ball going wide in to an empty net with his elbow, clear handball if ref sees it.

IIRC didnt we have something similar happen at home about 3/4 seasons ago. Cant fully remember the opponent but happened at the Park lane and I think the ball went in off Adebayor's arm/hand as he was stood near the line, but ours got disallowed for handball

agree with most of that

I think there's a better nuance to the interpretation.

If you run around in the box waving your arms about but the ball gets kicked onto your arm, then you haven't intentionally moved your arm to the ball. You did intentionally wave your arms about in the knowledge that the chances of the ball hitting those arms was made higher by doing so.

Running around the pitch with your arms up just in case the ball makes contact is handball for me without question. Covering your balls or face at a free kick, not handball. It's pretty easy to decide what it intentionally making your silhouette larger and what is just naturally moving your arms - this was clearly making himself bigger.

agree with most of that

These type of goals should 'never' be allowed for any team other than the underdog!
AND
No team with a large amount of red in their strip!

Hand ball is a foul!

I think there's a better nuance to the interpretation.

If you run around in the box waving your arms about but the ball gets kicked onto your arm, then you haven't intentionally moved your arm to the ball. You did intentionally wave your arms about in the knowledge that the chances of the ball hitting those arms was made higher by doing so.

Running around the pitch with your arms up just in case the ball makes contact is handball for me without question. Covering your balls or face at a free kick, not handball. It's pretty easy to decide what it intentionally making your silhouette larger and what is just naturally moving your arms - this was clearly making himself bigger.

imo, he wasn't clearly doing anything, he didn't have a clue what was going on, it was incompetence rather than cheating

Hand in the air like that away from his body , normally interpretated as not a natural position.

But that doesn't necessarily have to be taken into account:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...l-for-arsenal-vs-burnley-should-it-have-stoo/

IFAB's rules on handball state that:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:
  • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
  • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
  • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
---

By law it's not handball. Morally, and if there's such a thing as the spirit of the rules then it's very,very harsh on Burnely. But it's not handball. Much as that pains me.

But that doesn't necessarily have to be taken into account:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...l-for-arsenal-vs-burnley-should-it-have-stoo/

IFAB's rules on handball state that:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm. The following must be considered:
  • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
  • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
  • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
---

By law it's not handball. Morally, and if there's such a thing as the spirit of the rules then it's very,very harsh on Burnely. But it's not handball. Much as that pains me.
For good reason the law is never interpreted that way.

Imagine a defender on the post for a corner. He could stand with his fingertips against the crossbar and block a shot of any height. If he stood still it would be ball to hand, but it's quite right IMO that he'd be given a red card for it.

For good reason the law is never interpreted that way.

Imagine a defender on the post for a corner. He could stand with his fingertips against the crossbar and block a shot of any height. If he stood still it would be ball to hand, but it's quite right IMO that he'd be given a red card for it.

Apples and oranges.

You obviously can't stand there with your arms in the air, waiting for the ball, but your arms can be moving whilst you are moving. And sometimes they'll get in the way.

There are very, very few actual handballs in football. Funnily enough, there was one in our game: Otamendi. You rarely see that deliberate, intentional cheating.

Kicking the ball onto your hand has to be handball especially for a professional footballer.

Apples and oranges.

You obviously can't stand there with your arms in the air, waiting for the ball, but your arms can be moving whilst you are moving. And sometimes they'll get in the way.

There are very, very few actual handballs in football. Funnily enough, there was one in our game: Otamendi. You rarely see that deliberate, intentional cheating.
Closing in on the ball with one's arms up in the air is far closer to that end of the scale than the innocent one.

The point is, it's one of those rules that can't be taken by the book in its current form as there's so much scope for clear cheating

Closing in on the ball with one's arms up in the air is far closer to that end of the scale than the innocent one.

The point is, it's one of those rules that can't be taken by the book in its current form as there's so much scope for clear cheating

if it's premeditated it's clear cheating, no argument there

I can't reconcile punishing incompetence that results in a positive outcome which wouldn't be reciprocated in reverse

anywhere else on the pitch and the ref waves play on, that a goal results is irrelevant, a handball decision isn't made on the result of following actions, it's about those preceding contact

for all the guidance and interpretations that follow the rule is a simple one, did the player deliberately touch the ball with a hand

also, it's not cheating if it's in the rules, it's edge, if players did spend the game with arms extended (they'd look ridiculous, and) FIFA would rewrite the law, it's not the constitution, it can be changed at any time

Cannot believe they didn't show Walker getting kicked in the face yesterday. Two completely false narratives came from that - firstly that Aguero's tackle was the worst that anyone had seen for a long time (wasn't even the worst of the weekend) and that Swansea were somehow unlucky that their game plan came unstuck after they conceded the first goal unfairly, ignoring the fact that they should have played practically the entire game with 10 men.

Chris Sutton....wow......

Just watched it, thought Sutton was OK.
Cannot believe they missed that tackle on walker or the absolutely blatant pen against Morgan in the Leicester game. The standard of refs really is shocking.

Back