• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The London Thread.

I always enjoy Top Golf. I never play golf, and so I am completely useless at the game, but, it's enjoyable and a different spin on a driving range. I can barely hit the ball, but at least I know that if I can hit it a little, I might get some points.

Any suggestions for where to go on a Monday? I remember there being a couple of restaurants with Monday offers but they seem to have stopped them.

Meeting one of the guys and planning to pop either into browns or the griffin before/after dinner.

Anyone got any cheap/seriously good value eateries? Whenever I go out with my friend we spend loads so it would be nice to steer her somewhere reasonable..

I'd like to pay Wetherspoons sort of prices but hopefully not be in Wetherspoons..

Actually, can narrow it down to anything good value. The friend I'm thinking of turns her nose up at places like wetherspoons but then last week she took me somewhere where it was ~£11 for a bowl of (admittedly very tasty) asian soup. Then the other night I paid £12 for a burger in the pub we went to, and that was before paying for a drink or chips.

I'd just like a couple of go to places in reserve that do genuinely nice food and isn't wetherspoons* so she can't turn her nose up at it.

*I don't mind wetherspoons, it's got a bad rap but you know exactly what you're getting and the prices are very reasonable.

Last edited:
Try

- Hope and Anchor - lovely pub by Southwark tube
- Vasco & Pierre - family run Italian place in Soho
- Atari Ya - have a few locations but I went to the one in Swiss Cottage. Great value Sushi, very popular with local Japanese people. They are also wholesalers to most of the big Japanese restaurants including Nobu in the UK and Europe
- Regency - Local Indian place in Queensbury, amazing food. Popular with loads of local Indians. Best Mogo around.
- Quilon - Michelin starred Indian in St James Park area, does a cheap launchtime set menu
- Franco Manca - pizza chain but amazing pizzas, less than a tenner generally. Made from Sourdough bread.
- Silk Road - street in Camberwell that does brilliant value Chinese
- Maltby Street market - food market open on Saturdays which is very nice
- Gokyuzu - dirt cheap Turkish place in Haringey Lane, portions are massive
- Herman Ze German - proper German hot dogs, have 2/3 places and one in Soho, can buy pints in there too.

There's stacks of them around but in the £10 range you are mostly looking at chain style places but plenty more slightly above that price. If you like Indian go to Southhall and try out one of the local places there, will be very cheap and authentic food. All depends what your taste is like but give those a whirl first.

Last edited:
Try the Vietnamese restaurants on Kingsland Road, near Old Street. Amazing food and inexpensive, most of them you can bring your booze - so you can glutton on food with the savings!

Or Tayabs www.tayyabs.co.uk/ delicious Indian. Not as ridiculously cheap as it was a few years back. But still great value, and bring your own. Be warned if you arrive at popular times, you will have to queue.

Mentioning Southwark, if you're based round there, there is a nice Turkish place tucked in under the railway arches which is decent, if not amazing value. For value Turkish check out Mangal in Dalstone. http://www.mangal1.com/ Lots of grilled meat. Salad. Bread. Does my head in but no garlic sauce :) Chilly sauce yes. A mixed grill platter is about £12 and you will get different types of Lamb kebab, Chicken, Partridge all grilled on coals, salad and bread. You can share one of those with some starters. Also bring you own.

If you're after cheap and you want a full meal see if there's a Little Bay near you. Haven't been for a few years but value was always good.

Always had to pay cash as I think it was some kind of money laundering front for some dodgy Russian types - I assume you can pay by card now though.

If you're in town and you want just a main (and no alcohol) then try the grill menu at Tredwells - it's incredible. Gets a bit expensive if you want 3 courses or alcohol though.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to save them all in a google map shortly so I can refer to it when I'm out and about.

Thinking about cheap places Icco near goodge street is dirt cheap, prices start at £3.95 for a 12" pizza

Yes, will be living a few minutes walk from Aldgate tube station, E1 post code.

Been doing it since September but staying in hotels but it wasn't sustainable and driving me mad.

Nice, very central then. Business must be booming. Yeah I can't imagine the travelling is much fun, I hate living out of a suitcase.

Be sure to go to the beigel shop on Brick Lane sometime if you haven't been already.

The city must be an interesting place to live, love walking through it when it's quiet at the weekend.

Nice, very central then. Business must be booming. Yeah I can't imagine the travelling is much fun, I hate living out of a suitcase.

Be sure to go to the beigel shop on Brick Lane sometime if you haven't been already.

The city must be an interesting place to live, love walking through it when it's quiet at the weekend.

Just make sure it is the right one. Always Beigel Bake.

I've been to so many restaurants and places to eat in London since September I've kept a record of the good ones (and the crap ones so I remember to avoid them). I also have a meeting every few months a few minutes walk from Borough Market, always on a Friday morning finishing about lunchtime. Can't help myself in that place, love it.

Back