• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Guardian's Top 100 Players in the World

For me, in terms of attacking players, you have messi and ronaldo at the top, then you have van persie, falcao and Bale. He is up there.

For me, in terms of attacking players, you have messi and ronaldo at the top, then you have van persie, falcao and Bale. He is up there.

Absolutely.

However you define a "World Class" player, Gareth Bale is one of them.

I hope we'll be able to enjoy his talents for a good few more seasons more at the Lane, as the lad just keeps getting better and better.

Am I being biased in thinking Bale should be a fair bit higher than no 40? I think he's close to making a current best world XI....

That's Bale the defender they are ranking. Perhaps Bale the winger would rank higher.

I like to see a player like Yaya ranked so high. When I look back on the PL era I consider Vieira and Keane to be the two dominant players, the ones who were so important for their team. They were part of the defence and offence and it was a bit like having an extra man. Essien looked like he could be come such a player, until injury and illness, and Yaya is the closest since. These lists tend to over focus on the goalscorers and creative types.

I dont think Bale can be classed as "World Class" at the moment, coz for all his talent, he can be infuriatingly inefficient; it's as if he knows that he's got pretty much everything in his skillset, but doesnt know which skills to use, and when. His wing play is the most dazzling thing about his game, but it's produced about 7 assists in 3 seasons...you could put this down to our strikers, but it also suggests a problem with his decision making. He's capable of getting a shed-load of goals, but has a tendency to get too carried away with his ability when he's in the centre of the pitch, so doesnt get as many as he should [though he's clearly getting better in this respect]. All of the people in the higher positions on that list can point to what it is that they do, and the tangible results they get, I believe...theyre a bit more assured in how to get the best result in different situations imho

I'm afraid I just don't rate Modric as highly as a lot of posters on here who have assigned him "GHod like" status. 80 is about right for me. I really don't get how Lloris is not on there easily one of the best goalkeepers in the world and I'm sure Berbatov was not there or have I missed him? I know it's about opinions but imho the best striker in the prem behind only RVP.

I'm afraid I just don't rate Modric as highly as a lot of posters on here who have assigned him "GHod like" status. 80 is about right for me. I really don't get how Lloris is not on there easily one of the best goalkeepers in the world and I'm sure Berbatov was not there or have I missed him? I know it's about opinions but imho the best striker in the prem behind only RVP.

Would you still place Modric at 80 when you consider that oscar is at 37? I think the whole list is a bit confusing...Maybe its just because of the different positions being included, but I really dont see what Oscar has done to be at 37 while Hazard is only at 58, or what Ballotelli has done to make it to 67 while Kagawa is at 96 :-k

Dembele and Bale are the only ones in our team I would say deserve to be there. But i can't for the life of me see how certain players have been rated over Bale.

Ashley Cole? :ross:

Joe hart (65) ahead of Modric (80), Moutinho (76) and Wesley Sneijder (95).

Wtih stuff like that I can kind of understand it...i think the logic is that Joe Hart would be higher up in the rankings of goalkeepers than Modric/Moutinho/Sneijder would be in their respective roles, with the major gap in places being filled by more players in different roles.

That's a bold statement. I think your overrating him. He's good but not 'great' certainly not yet.

I think he's better than the likes of Fellaini, Oscar, Willian, Fernandinho, Hernanes, Eriksen and Moutinho who are all above him. We do tend to overrate our own players but Dembele is different class, I think we can ALL admit that.

I think he's better than the likes of Fellaini, Oscar, Willian, Fernandinho, Hernanes, Eriksen and Moutinho who are all above him. We do tend to overrate our own players but Dembele is different class, I think we can ALL admit that.

Thing is apart from fellaini i do not know enough about the others. I would love fellaini in our team but i would put him above sandro and parker but he is a different sort of player to dembele. Dembele has not really been the playmaker i was hoping he would be.

Thing is apart from fellaini i do not know enough about the others. I would love fellaini in our team but i would put him above sandro and parker but he is a different sort of player to dembele. Dembele has not really been the playmaker i was hoping he would be.

I like Fellaini too, but like you don't see where he'd actually fit in our team. Dembele bosses midfield, but doesn't seem to do much with it. I think it's why we need that creative central midfielder beside him. Allowing Sandro to sit infront of our back four and behind the two. That is when I think we'll see better parts of Dembeles game.

Dembele and Bale are the only ones in our team I would say deserve to be there. But i can't for the life of me see how certain players have been rated over Bale.

Ashley Cole? :ross:
Cole is a very, very good player. He's most definitely in the top three in the world for his position - both defensively and offensively he is sound

Back