• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Guardian's Top 100 Players in the World

Am I being biased in thinking Bale should be a fair bit higher than no 40? I think he's close to making a current best world XI....

Sums what i have always thought of guardian writers. Some bloke from southampton is better then pastore??? and better then terry(yes a **** but a good player) what aa crock of brick.

Defoe tinkles all over suarez as well.

No way is Ibra better than Falcao! Falcao should be 2nd on current form.

Don't know how Suarez and Willian are above Bale, Muller, Gotze and Mata either.

I've always been a Xavi man rather than Iniesta so It's good that he's above him.

So, unsurprisingly Barca and Real have the two best midfield quarters (average ranking).

The third, Chel$ki? The fourth, Shakthar?

We should sign Christian Eriksen right away, he's better than both Dembele and Modric..... Alot of things I don't agree with on that list.

The list is always gonna be a mess because of the way its compiled.
11 journos named their 30 top footballers: 30 points for 1st, 1 point for 30th.
They are all gonna name the same 20 or so core best players, the other 80 players is taken from 11 x 10 players. So rest of it ends up being an imprecise mess with players in there because 1 person voted high for them.

This is what happens when you let people with no formal statistics background compile lists.

The list is always gonna be a mess because of the way its compiled.
11 journos named their 30 top footballers: 30 points for 1st, 1 point for 30th.
They are all gonna name the same 20 or so core best players, the other 80 players is taken from 11 x 10 players. So rest of it ends up being an imprecise mess with players in there because 1 person voted high for them.

This is what happens when you let people with no formal statistics background compile lists.

Formal statistics may be far more precise, but they are arguably less accurate than the opinions of experts.

Am I being biased in thinking Bale should be a fair bit higher than no 40? I think he's close to making a current best world XI....

On his day he's a world beater but I think that he needs to be more consistent before you could start talking about him being amongst the best in his position. He's on a good run of form at the moment but he was very poor in the second half of last season.

One player that im glad to see doesnt make that list is Victor Valdes...

You talk about players who have won all these honours whilst being totally brick like john o'shea and wes brown, but victor valdes is on another level.

A total abomination of a goalkeeper, i wouldnt wish him onto any team in the world, so brick

Fellaini higher than Modric?

Obviously these lists are completely subjective and no one is gonna agree, but that is just a joke.

Back