• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The greatest..

I think it's exactly that. No one seems "to come out of the blue" any more. I imagine watching Brazil of old may have been pretty spectacular when you saw someone like Zico or Socrates come out and you didn't know too much about them, but you may have heard there name in a conversation somewhere and you see them do pretty spectacular things in a team like Brazils.

Nostalgia could be responsible to the demise of international football

Possibly but I do wonder why I don't get the same buzz. I grew up watching and being inspired by Zidane, Ronaldo, Baggio, Figo, Maldini, Baresi, El Diego, Batistuta etc... I suppose now that I have seen them all come and go that nostalgia as you say has passed, and I'm left feeling uninspired by most other than the little magician Messi and Iniesta and Xavi.

All I really care about now is Spurs. I've probably just grown up!

I feel the same as you. Zidane is my favourite player of all time. I have no idea why but I look at the stars today and they don't make me go "this guy is amazing" other than really Messi, like the Zidanes, Ronaldos, Figos used too.

Last edited:
Favourite player during the 90s.
His acceleration was freakish.

Can't help wonder what type of player he would have been if he hadn't been pumped full of steroids at the age of 17 when he arrived at PSV. Its well regarded that his injuries later came form having grown beyond what his muscles were naturally prepared to grow.
Would love to have seen them not go through all the injuries but did this muscles growth give him his special edge?

Anyone thinking he isn't one of the greatest players ever hasn't seen him play.

Can't help but agree

Cruzeiro - 47 (44)
PSV - 57 (54)
Barcelona - 49 (47)
Internazoinale - 99 (59)
Real Madrid - 117 - (104)
AC Milan - 20 (9)
Corinthias - 69 (35)

Brazil - 98 (62)

Can't help but agree

Cruzeiro - 47 (44)
PSV - 57 (54)
Barcelona - 49 (47)
Internazoinale - 99 (59)
Real Madrid - 117 - (104)
AC Milan - 20 (9)
Corinthias - 69 (35)

Brazil - 98 (62)

That is just ridiculous! The one that stands out a lot for me is his international goals ratio. Much harder to get your goal stats up in the international arena.

Diego, I feel the same mate. I only really care about Spurs now. Whereas in my younger days I was all over any football of any kind and regularly educating myself on players across the globe.

Ronaldo was a great goal scorer..and one of the very best, no doubt about that. It's great to see him getting back into shape.. SUPERB!
*Pele*, for me, is the greatest of all time..by a distance.
He played when pitches were glorified mud pits and defending was virtually an assault.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1956–1974 Santos 605 (589)
1975–1977 New York Cosmos 56 (31)

Total 661 (620)

National team
1957–1971 Brazil 92 (77)

I suspect that this fellas time was way before the vast majority here. Here is a video of some footage..mesmerizing !

[video=youtube;953rOfQ8Y0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953rOfQ8Y0w[/video]
[video=youtube;zReaS2M6zho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zReaS2M6zho[/video]

Last edited:
Reggie, Pele counted the goals he scored in the playground as part of his goal tally!

No seriously those who were fortunate to have seen him play often say he was incredible. Ahead of his time, something you'd say about nearly all the greats.

Reggie, Pele counted the goals he scored in the playground as part of his goal tally!

Yes, probably ! But his goal tally for Santos, Cosmos & Brazil were not the shabbiest. I have to be honest and say that maybe I watch this old footage with *rose tinted glasses*..but I suppose golden memories do linger.

It's a shame that Pele was not allowed to move to a European club side. It's also a shame there were not 150 cameras to follow his every move on the pitch to *elevate* his skill to an even higher level.

Equally destructive with both feet, in attack or midfield. An evil eye for goal or a pass. A genuine *team* player who glided past the opposition as if they were not there. Virtually no controversy.

Golden days...

That is just ridiculous! The one that stands out a lot for me is his international goals ratio. Much harder to get your goal stats up in the international arena.

Diego, I feel the same mate. I only really care about Spurs now. Whereas in my younger days I was all over any football of any kind and regularly educating myself on players across the globe.

I'd say precisely the opposite. International football has a much larger variety of team levels. Just look at Peter Crouches England ratio.

Possibly but I do wonder why I don't get the same buzz. I grew up watching and being inspired by Zidane, Ronaldo, Baggio, Figo, Maldini, Baresi, El Diego, Batistuta etc... I suppose now that I have seen them all come and go that nostalgia as you say has passed, and I'm left feeling uninspired by most other than the little magician Messi and Iniesta and Xavi.

All I really care about now is Spurs. I've probably just grown up!

from the same era would you include Michael Laudrup??? between 89-95 he was as good as a playmaker/attacking midfielder/wide player that ive ever seen. So unselfish, a supreme assister of goals, his overall play was a joy to watch. So so classy

5 La ligas in a row between 90-95, 4 for Barca and then he joined Real and won his fifth in a row in his first season there. Underrated legend imo

I think it must be an age thing. You grow up with football players as your idols, and they seem almost superhuman, from another planet. When you grow up you realize that they're just very talented normal people.

I grew up obsessed with the likes of Zidane, Davids, Roberto Carlos etc. Players of that sort of talent are still about, I just grew out of obsessing over them (thank GHod)

I think it must be an age thing. You grow up with football players as your idols, and they seem almost superhuman, from another planet. When you grow up you realize that they're just very talented normal people.

I grew up obsessed with the likes of Zidane, Davids, Roberto Carlos etc. Players of that sort of talent are still about, I just grew out of obsessing over them (thank GHod)

Your probably right. Although going back to my original point, I don't think Brazil have anywhere near the talent in the squad that they used to have a decade ago.

Talking of special Brazilians and special moments reminded me of this goal. Myself and my brother watched this match and then ran straight down to the park to try and recreate this goal ( at the ages of 12 and 9 we didn't manage it :) )

[video=youtube_share;yRY8-sRxUII]http://youtu.be/yRY8-sRxUII[/video]

Talking of special Brazilians and special moments reminded me of this goal. Myself and my brother watched this match and then ran straight down to the park to try and recreate this goal ( at the ages of 12 and 9 we didn't manage it :) )

[video=youtube_share;yRY8-sRxUII]http://youtu.be/yRY8-sRxUII[/video]

Classic classic goal. Love it.

You could recreate it many times with one of these badboys:

_41303130_plasticfootball203.jpg

this wasnt bad either from Josimar :eek:

[video=youtube;IGQXPILKZlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQXPILKZlQ[/video]

Back