• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The greatest..

Amazing video. Can't say I ever saw him play too much bar the odd champions league game as my interest in football wasn't as strong as it is now and that looks to be a massive shame going by that video. In particular it's his willingness to stay on his feet that is astounding, such skill, and such a genuine desire to get in to a scoring position that it doesn't seem to matter how many defenders take a swipe at him.

That being said, taking instagram-esque topless photos of yourself is a habit of those who have souped up Nissan Micras and wear the collars of their fred perry polo shirts upturned...

Thats as amazing video. As good as any player I've ever seen.

However, I only managed to watch the first 6:30 of that video and he doesn't score once. WTF!

Check this compilation out then! His first season at Barcelona and aged only 20 years old he scores 47 goals in 49 games; compared to just 16 goals in 40 games for Messi at the same age!

The most talented striker I've seen play in my lifetime, such a shame that injuries prevented him from totally fulfilling the incredible potential he showed as a young player.

[video=youtube;bffUNX3qX3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bffUNX3qX3s[/video]

Why are people saying "If it was not for his injuries" The guy done it on every stage and won titles with multiple teams. When ever people talk about the greatest ever they always mention Maradona, Pele and Messi yet Ronaldo done it all in much more competitive circumstances.

Why are people saying "If it was not for his injuries" The guy done it on every stage and won titles with multiple teams. When ever people talk about the greatest ever they always mention Maradona, Pele and Messi yet Ronaldo done it all in much more competitive circumstances.

It's probably a testament to just how good he was that even with all the personal and team accolades he received, people still think he would have achieved more if he had stayed injury-free.

One of the greatest sporting pics of all time here:

Ronaldo_running.jpg

It's probably a testament to just how good he was that even with all the personal and team accolades he received, people still think he would have achieved more if he had stayed injury-free.

One of the greatest sporting pics of all time here:
Quality photo. But yeah, even though he won just about everything there was to win in the game he still could have done so much more with the talent he had which saw him voted FIFA World Player of the Year twice by the time he was just 21 years old!

Unfortunately (rather like King / Gazza) he suffered horrendous knee injuries and was surrounded by hangers-on who did not have his best interests at heart. Had he been a consummate professional like Messi / Cristiano and not been so ravaged by those knee problems plus hyperthyroidism plus a seizure (the cause of which is still subject to conjecture) he would undoubtedly have been placed alongside Maradona, Pele and Messi as one of the all time greats imo.

1994/95: Aged 18 and playing his first season in Europe he scores 35 goals in 36 games for PSV to become Top Scorer in Eridivise.
1995/96: Misses much of season due to a knee injury but still scores 19 goals in 21 games.
1996/97: Moves to Barca for a then World record £12m and is La Liga top scorer with 34 goals in 37 games, 47 in 49 for all comps. Becomes the youngest ever FIFA World Player of the Year.
1997/98: Contract dispute sees him transfer to Inter Milan for a then world record £19m. Adapts to Serie A scoring 25 goals in 32 games. Scores 4 goals at World Cup but suffers seizure before final against France. Retains FIFA World Player of the Year award plus becomes the first Brazilian to win the Ballon d'Or.
1998/99: Injuries cut short his season as he plays just 28 games, scoring 15 goals.
1999/00: Suffers cruciate ligament injury in November which requires surgery and several months lay off. Breaks down during comeback ending his season.
2000/01: Misses the entire season due to knee injury.
2001/02: 15 months after surgers he returns to score 7 goals in 10 games for Inter. Top scorer at the World Cup with 8 goals winning the Golden Boot and tying Pele' record of 12 goals at finals.
2002/03: Joins the Galácticos at Madrid but injury sees him unable to make his debut until October in which he scores twice. 30 goals in all competitions including a memorable hat-trick at Old Trafford. Wins his 2nd Ballon d'Or plus 3rd FIFA World Player of the Year award at the age of 26.
2003/04: Top scorer in La Liga with 24 goals despite the Galácticos under Carlos Queiroz' finishing in 4th place.
2004/05: 21 goals for the Galácticos as they get through 3 managers during another trophy-less season.
2005/06: 14 goals for the ageing Galácticos.
2006/07: Sidelined by Capello in favour in a leaner van Nistelrooy. Moves to AC Milan in January scoring 7 goals in 14 games.
2007/08: Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which explains much of his weight problems. Suffers yet another season ending knee injury and is released by Milan.

Quality photo. But yeah, even though he won just about everything there was to win in the game he still could have done so much more with the talent he had which saw him voted FIFA World Player of the Year twice by the time he was just 21 years old!

Unfortunately (rather like King / Gazza) he suffered horrendous knee injuries and was surrounded by hangers-on who did not have his best interests at heart. Had he been a consummate professional like Messi / Cristiano and not been so ravaged by those knee problems plus hyperthyroidism plus a seizure (the cause of which is still subject to conjecture) he would undoubtedly have been placed alongside Maradona, Pele and Messi as one of the all time greats imo.

1994/95: Aged 18 and playing his first season in Europe he scores 35 goals in 36 games for PSV to become Top Scorer in Eridivise.
1995/96: Misses much of season due to a knee injury but still scores 19 goals in 21 games.
1996/97: Moves to Barca for a then World record £12m and is La Liga top scorer with 34 goals in 37 games, 47 in 49 for all comps. Becomes the youngest ever FIFA World Player of the Year.
1997/98: Contract dispute sees him transfer to Inter Milan for a then world record £19m. Adapts to Serie A scoring 25 goals in 32 games. Scores 4 goals at World Cup but suffers seizure before final against France. Retains FIFA World Player of the Year award plus becomes the first Brazilian to win the Ballon d'Or.
1998/99: Injuries cut short his season as he plays just 28 games, scoring 15 goals.
1999/00: Suffers cruciate ligament injury in November which requires surgery and several months lay off. Breaks down during comeback ending his season.
2000/01: Misses the entire season due to knee injury.
2001/02: 15 months after surgers he returns to score 7 goals in 10 games for Inter. Top scorer at the World Cup with 8 goals winning the Golden Boot and tying Pele' record of 12 goals at finals.
2002/03: Joins the Galácticos at Madrid but injury sees him unable to make his debut until October in which he scores twice. 30 goals in all competitions including a memorable hat-trick at Old Trafford. Wins his 2nd Ballon d'Or plus 3rd FIFA World Player of the Year award at the age of 26.
2003/04: Top scorer in La Liga with 24 goals despite the Galácticos under Carlos Queiroz' finishing in 4th place.
2004/05: 21 goals for the Galácticos as they get through 3 managers during another trophy-less season.
2005/06: 14 goals for the ageing Galácticos.
2006/07: Sidelined by Capello in favour in a leaner van Nistelrooy. Moves to AC Milan in January scoring 7 goals in 14 games.
2007/08: Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which explains much of his weight problems. Suffers yet another season ending knee injury and is released by Milan.

Sorry I don't buy that not being a consummate pro. Yes at Madrid in particular he had a little bit of a rep. But it never affected his on the field performances. Zizou commented on just how amazing some of the things he could do in training.

I think any issues he had were down to injuries and the hypothyroidism as you mentioned.

I remember Helguera and Raul having problems with the Brazilian contingent for 'enjoying' themselves too much

Ronaldo was the icon of Brazilian football in its finest era since Pele. That says enough for me.

For me, his introduction to football changed the game, very few players do that. He changed the whole no9 position, came deep, picked up the ball, dribbled at pace, left all in his wake. As a result, defenders had to become faster, stronger and more adaptable to speed. The great defenders prior to that were never blessed with pace or a bull like physiques like they are nowadays. The original "fake 9"?

With Ronaldo, Brazil won 2 of the 4 world cups he played in as well as runners up in 1 of them. I'd say that was it's finest era since Pele.
(to be fair he never featured in 94)

But I think if you asked most brazilians who they think, I would guess most would say Ronaldo. They have had an embarrassment of riches though. Sad to see the current side the way it is, lacking the inspirational figures they usually have had.

The makings of a superb team is there for Brazil.

No idea why Diego Alves hasn't been made permanent keeper yet, the guy is so good but I suppose on his day Julio Cesar isn't bad now is he? Dante is proving himself at Bayern but maybe it could be a bit late for him, he is about to hit his 30s. Thiago Silva is the experience they really need at the back. David Luiz is still young and will only improve through age and experience. I think in Rafael they have the makings of one of the best right backs in the world too.

Ramires is superb, Lucas Moura looks like he's going to be world class, Sandro is a beast in defensive midfield, Oscar has all the talents in the world, Neymar has all the attributes too he just needs to be more consistant and imposing on the international stage. Watch out for that Wellington Nem too from Fluminense.

But it's about finding a system and fitting them all into the team.

The makings of a superb team is there for Brazil.

No idea why Diego Alves hasn't been made permanent keeper yet, the guy is so good but I suppose on his day Julio Cesar isn't bad now is he? Dante is proving himself at Bayern but maybe it could be a bit late for him, he is about to hit his 30s. Thiago Silva is the experience they really need at the back. David Luiz is still young and will only improve through age and experience. I think in Rafael they have the makings of one of the best right backs in the world too.

Ramires is superb, Lucas Moura looks like he's going to be world class, Sandro is a beast in defensive midfield, Oscar has all the talents in the world, Neymar has all the attributes too he just needs to be more consistant and imposing on the international stage. Watch out for that Wellington Nem too from Fluminense.

But it's about finding a system and fitting them all into the team.
It's weird but since Ronaldinho's demise they have lacked that special quality that makes them Brazil.

To be fair that 94 side that won it was more pragmatic than the current one, but Romario was the stand out player who provided that magic.

After that there was absolute influx of superstars that littered the selecao. Cafu, R.Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.

I guess I'm just getting old and looking back fondly. I don't get the same feeling of watching Brazil as I did. Perhaps because we didn't know quite everything about the players as we do now, with more European based players, and even premier league players.

They have some great talents as you say but a lot of vastly overrated players too. For me I wonder just how good Neymar is. He seems to me just another Robinho, all tricks with no real substance. The fact that big Phil is now picking Fabiano and Fred shows how restricted the options now are. Once you had Romario, Bebeto, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, then Ronaldinho and even then players like Amoroso and Jardel.

I remain to be convinced

Back